Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

uqec54KH_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I think December 2010 saw temps in Dublin down around -12 but I could be mistaken. Certainly they went below -10
    Anyone know when the last time was it was this cold in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

I think December 2010 saw temps in Dublin down around -12 but I could be mistaken. Certainly they went below -10

I recorded a -11 in D6 in Dec 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I grabbed a macro lens and broke out the tripod, a fleece hat and my down jacket. My car windscreen this morning.

2WHZUjxq_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It looks like that time I did ayahuasca ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

DOCARCH wrote: »
    -7c at Casement and Dunsany at 0900.

Lowest I have seen at Met E stations overnight is -8c (at a couple of stations). So, assume, overnight low is somewhere between -7.5 and -8.5c.

https://twitter.com/LaoisWeather/status/1347853240986202112?s=20

Back up to a balmy -3.3c now. How quickly the sun gets to work!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Got down to -4.7c here in Ashbourne, my coldest night since early feb 2015. Always difficult to get past -5c here without snowcover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

pity it wasn't like this a fortnight ago :(

One of the most beautiful winter days I can remember in a long time. Blue skies, calm, Baltic but stunning for a walk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

One of the most beautiful winter days I can remember in a long time. Blue skies, calm, Baltic but stunning for a walk

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Out for a walk now in Dublin 16 and it’s glorious. Frost everywhere. Local pond is completely frozen. Can see tiny fish swimming underneath the ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

The gauge at 8.16 this morning showed -9.6 here. Most likely the coldest morning since Christmas morning 2010.
    Nearly all back roads round here still frozen solid with the snow and frost since Wednesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

My Davis station is showing -1.5c just now, and it's getting direct sun since around 10.30am. Very unusual for it to be sub zero at midday in it's location, my back garden. Limk City suburbs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

got to -9 here in Dunshaughlin before dawn, incredible temperature. At the moment everything is still frozen solid and we now have a high of -1C. The milder air is beginning to head in now so we may get a degree or two above freezing before the frost returns tonight. We did not get this cold during the BFTE/Storm Emma so I reckon this is probably the coldest night we had since December 2010 as well.

If the temperature today stays at -1 it would tie today as the coldest day of the winter along with the freezing fog ice day we had back in early December, but i've a feeling we will get just above 0 at some point today with milder uppers moving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Grizzled gray and wet rain. Snow on the tops, but it is frugal and see-through. A mean scattering . No generosity about it! Tantalus..

The cold has been unspeakable. Physically painful. Feet are still icicled

Some lovely photos! Thank you. I remember the sea frozen at Killybegs that time ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I was in Dublin last night which was in the -5 °C to -8 °C range and I stood outside in my undies in the wee small hours to test myself and feel alive (I’ve a life-limiting illness which really restricts me so I have to find my kicks in other ways :D). Lasted about 30 seconds. :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

temperature now back to 1C so the ice day in early December remains unbeaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

I was in Dublin last night which was in the -5 °C to -8 °C range and I stood outside in my undies in the wee small hours to test myself and feel alive (I’ve a life-limiting illness which really restricts me so I have to find my kicks in other ways :D). Lasted about 30 seconds. :eek:

Have you any pics? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Arduach wrote: »
    Have you any pics? ;)

Ha, this was not what you were imagining, I assure you. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Ha, this was not what you were imagining, I assure you. :pac:

I got a wee bit excited at the thought of a lady in her undies in the frost!

lolie wrote: »
    The gauge at 8.16 this morning showed -9.6 here. Most likely the coldest morning since Christmas morning 2010.
    Nearly all back roads round here still frozen solid with the snow and frost since Wednesday night.

Where are you located Lolie? Is your station online?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

3 degrees in cork city now. footpaths, driveway and grass still has snow in it from Wed, doesn't get the sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Here's a selection of the minimum air temperatures at Irish stations from this morning and the last time there was an air temperature as low as/lower than that respective value. For many, it was the coldest temperatures since Christmas Day 2010.

sMCRI1p.jpg

N.B. Synoptic stations are midnight to midnight above whilst climate stations are 09 to 09 so dates/values might differ somewhat.

To those of you who have asked me queries about the stratosphere, sorry I haven't been giving updates on it. On a personal note, I have been very busy getting the last of my college assignments done for the semester. Things continue to look interesting there though I must say!

Oh and about that weather today... what a day! :D

lol.. there is nothing quite like the feel of cold air and wet rain on bare skin! I am so isolated out here... And when I talk about taking a shower....at my advanced ago anything is … You go girl!

I was looking at the cold spell in January 2010, we always think of December 2010 as the real cold blast but actually Casement In Dublin recorded nearly -13 In January 2010 (-12.4). I will check December 2010 too. I think because that January there was far less snow it can be easily forgotten but it was actually really cold too. There was some snow that January but nothing like what would fall the following winter

Ok having looked at December 2010, the coldest official temp recorded in casement in Dublin was actually -15.7 degrees on Christmas night. Crikey forgot how insanely cold it actually was.

-17.5 was recorded in Mayo that December

sryanbruen wrote: »
    On a personal note, I have been very busy getting the last of my college assignments done for the semester.

Keep up the good work, best of luck with your assignments.

Off topic so please excuse but I would love to measure wind speeds out here; are the measuring devices expensive, please? Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thatsmighty

At least the roads aren't like sheets of ice

Advertisement