Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

It's a washout here in Donegal, wasn't expecting this rain and its a bit of a shock to the system after this fine cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Got down to -8.2c here last night, beautiful day now but temperature already down to 1.6c as the garden heads into shade, hateful to see rain back in the forecasts for next week after this spell of weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Feels warmer today here in Carrick on Shannon, snow and ice slowly melting, highs 4c, overnight lows of 0c

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It has been freezing day and night on the hills around here since the snow a few days ago.
    Water pipes frozen.
    Hope to have it fixed soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Danno wrote: »
    Where are you located Lolie? Is your station online?

I'm in south cavan Danno, not online.
    Its a bresser 5 in 1 weather station i got on amazon in 2018, I'll not say its 100% accurate but the wind and temperature measurements normally seem to closely match what the Ballyhaise and Mullingar stations show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Mullingar park today. Lake completely frozen. Never seen anything like it in Ireland before...

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

There's a few puddles outside my house that have been frozen solid now for about 3 days straight.

The family car hasn't thawed in about 2 days either, just a constant white coating of Frost :) Got some excellent photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Cloudy and a bit milder than of late. This will be the first night in a while that the temperature does not go below zero

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Mild and breezy day in north Donegal with some drizzle, these forecasters are the pits

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭circadian

Lake in Santry Park was frozen over this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

back to 0C here in Meath, frost, ice and snow never thawed here today. The mild weather across the west is a sign of things to come for tomorrow. Most of us will lose our ice and snow cover tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Gonzo wrote: »
    back to 0C here in Meath, frost, ice and snow never thawed here today. The mild weather across the west is a sign of things to come for tomorrow. Most of us will lose our ice and snow cover tomorrow.

Same here in Offaly. The frozen ground prior to the snowfall, helped the same way as 2010, even when air temps get to 3 or 4 as they have past few days, that won't make any impact to sheltered snow covered ground. The milder spell has been slower to arrive than I though this time last week, and some of the charts past next weekend plunge us back into arctic air, we shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Made a short video of the winter scene this morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Same here in Offaly. The frozen ground prior to the snowfall, helped the same way as 2010, even when air temps get to 3 or 4 as they have past few days, that won't make any impact to sheltered snow covered ground. The milder spell has been slower to arrive than I though this time last week, and some of the charts past next weekend plunge us back into arctic air, we shall see.

12z GFS gets us cold and snow in about 10 days, but it is rather knife edge as there is very mild air just to our south and we are on the cold side. Could go either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

The grand canal was frozen in most stretch’s today, have only seen this happen in 2010 and 2018. I rate our chances for a better easterly blast in the next few weeks! Both these spells gave us a snow covering and cold spell twice split between a warm trend. If we get half of what Madrid did in the next two weeks, I’ll be more than happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Smoke from fire in Cork been reported on the 1700 Cork airport metar

EICK 091700Z 26003KT 9999 -FU FEW008 02/M06 Q1027 NOSIG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

highdef wrote: »

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »

Yeah -0.3 here now, but yesterday it was around -2 at this time, so its got a little milder here to

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

I was looking at the cold spell in January 2010, we always think of December 2010 as the real cold blast but actually Casement In Dublin recorded nearly -13 In January 2010 (-12.4). I will check December 2010 too. I think because that January there was far less snow it can be easily forgotten but it was actually really cold too. There was some snow that January but nothing like what would fall the following winter

Ok having looked at December 2010, the coldest official temp recorded in casement in Dublin was actually -15.7 degrees on Christmas night. Crikey forgot how insanely cold it actually was.

-17.5 was recorded in Mayo that December

I remember it been minus 15 at Casement aerodrome in the 9 o'clock reports on Met Eireann that Christmas morning in 2010. Also the humidity was very low for what we are use to in this country. I remember the air was so dry.

Yeah -0.3 here now, but yesterday it was around -2 at this time, so its got a little milder here to

Steady 0.3c here on the Davis 6ft off the ground in an open exposed field
    However the washing put out on the line in the shaded garden was frozen solid by 430
    Max of 5.2c on the Davis but the yard has been solid all day
    Beautiful sunny day
    Clear currently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The thing I have noticed in Galway is that we get excessive rain for one half of the Oct-March period but before flooding becomes a real problem, there is a long relatively dry spell just in time. It's either a relatively dry run up to Christmas and a very wet Jan-March or vice versa. I was convinced after February this year that we would have serious flooding but then we got 3 months of dry weather and the lakes/rivers receded.

For example Athenry recorded 248mm in February 2020 when the mean is 87mm for Feb. Athenry also had a freak August in 2019 with 297mm when the Aug mean is 107mm. If we get a few freak months back-to-back in the 'winter' months, the rivers will not be able to cope.

Its only a matter of time before we get a full 6 months of very wet weather and then we will see flooding worse than the bad ones in recent years.

It's happening again. The local rivers and lakes were really high around Xmas after 3 wet months. I was seeing floods in the fields too. But this cold/dry spell has completely reversed the trend. Saved again :)

River Corrib waterlevels...

https://waterlevel.ie/0000030098/0001/

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Its pouring now in Galway out of nowhere...problem is its not cold enough now for snow..thats the way its always goes sure

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Fog starting to form here in Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

highdef wrote: »

Fantastic views!

Surprised to see ponding on some of the fields there! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Mullingar park today. Lake completely frozen. Never seen anything like it in Ireland before...

You haven't been here long?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Its pouring now in Galway out of nowhere...problem is its not cold enough now for snow..thats the way its always goes sure

It was a lovely day until that cloud rolled in around 3, got dark very quickly this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It was a lovely day until that cloud rolled in around 3, got dark very quickly this afternoon.

Very eerie reddish orange hue just before dark here this evening.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

While this day 6 months ago the high in Madrid was 34.5 C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

At least the roads aren't like sheets of ice

Thats exactly what the back roads are round here. There's only a hint of a thaw this evening as its 1.5c and cloudy.

Just spent the last few hours along with my sister and her young kids at a nearby flooded field thats froze solid.
    They rekoned it their best day ever.

Advertisement