Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

esposito wrote: »
    All if’s and but’s Aunty. Nobody knows what’s in store for February

I do!!

Wind and Rain

/February

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Loughc wrote: »
    I do!!

Wind and Rain

/February

Haha. The easy answer! In 4-5 weeks time I will either being saying “Kudos on that prediction” or “you got that prediction very wrong” I’m obviously hoping for the latter..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I just want to do some bloody gardening and cut the grass :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I just want to do some bloody gardening and cut the grass :(

I can't see that happening till at least March. It's going to take weeks of dry weather to dry out our swamp like garden, the ground here has never really gotten a chance to dry out since June.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

pad199207 wrote: »
    Or the even better one where Liverpool has sunny and 30c with big thunderstorms and Dublin has 18c with drizzle.

Think Dublin is bad during the summer? Try spending the summer in galway / limerick / Cork, the weather there makes Dublin look like Barcelona

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Think Dublin is bad during the summer? Try spending the summer in galway / limerick / Cork, the weather there makes Dublin look like Barcelona

Summer 2020 may have been an exception to the above. Summer 2020 was in a league of it's own for Dublin and surrounding areas, but yeah normally Dublin and the east get's a slightly warmer and dryer summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Gonzo wrote: »
    Summer 2020 may have been an exception to the above. Summer 2020 was in a league of it's own for Dublin and surrounding areas, but yeah normally Dublin and the east get's a slightly warmer and dryer summer.

Fair enough, correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt western areas get near enough double the annual rainfall compared to eastern areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Very dull away from the immediate coast in West/NW in comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Ah here it's not that bad in Cork! Maybe you could be a bit more specific about which part of Cork. We're a big county you know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My sister lives in Collooney (of Mackree Castle fame) in Sligo, I can only remember one visit where during the whole day it didn't lash out of the heavens at least once. On one occasion it was 16C with intermittent showers, my sister thought it was amazing weather, back home in Dublin my PWS was recording 25C, i said nothing :)
    Planning retirement in the south east somewhere around Wexford/Wicklow for obvious reasons!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Very dull away from the immediate coast in West/NW in comparison

540016.jpg

Summer 2014 was nearly as good as Summer 2013 where I am in Bray and this Sat image and your image shows why. Day after day in Summer 2014 the morning would start clear over nearly the whole country but by mid day all but the eastern and southern coastal strips would cloud over with convective cloud while the onshore breezes or maritime Irish/Celtic Sea air or whatever would prevent convective cloud formation. Half the population living in 90% of the country probably thought 2014 was a boring grey Summer not a patch on the year before whereas the other half the population living in that coastal strip down the East Coast felt Summer 2014 was nearly as good as the year before.

U2idXum.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I think this spring and early summer was fantastic. As a family we hiked and explored our local area constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

When combined with the bigger picture in the country at the moment this is fast becoming one of the most miserable months in memory for me, just constant rain and grey skies day after day. Hasn't let up for even a minute today :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Calibos wrote: »
    Summer 2014 was nearly as good as Summer 2013 where I am in Bray and this Sat image and your image shows why. Day after day in Summer 2014 the morning would start clear over nearly the whole country but by mid day all but the eastern and southern coastal strips would cloud over with convective cloud while the onshore breezes or maritime Irish/Celtic Sea air or whatever would prevent convective cloud formation. Half the population living in 90% of the country probably thought 2014 was a boring grey Summer not a patch on the year before whereas the other half the population living in that coastal strip down the East Coast felt Summer 2014 was nearly as good as the year before.

Another example of that pesky convective cloud back in Summer 2014:

SglzFRm.gif

giphy.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »
    In summer, there is relatively little difference between average rainfall amounts across the country believe it or not. Most certainly not a marked as it would be in Autumn and Winter for sure.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I see the Met Eireann monthly has been updated, it mentions the possibility of an easterly influence in February, then northerly by mid February.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Rain wasn’t too bad when I set off on my walk about an hour ago - about half way through the heavens opened :-( I returned drenched!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Colder air getting into the north and west, 10pm:

Knock 4 degrees
    Finner 4 degrees
    Malin head 4 degrees

Milder further east and south:

Phoenix park 11 degrees
    Dublin airport 11 degrees
    Sherkin 11 degrees

Assuming Thursday and Friday is the next snow risk for Ulster? More widespread too as in lower elevation?

I have snow in my Met office forecast for Friday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Chilly here now down to 5.8c in Carrick on Shannon where as in Dublin it's double digits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

This exactly. I love summer no matter the weather we get.

So do I but people are being either disingenuous or missing the point by trying to link weather with daylight. Last summer was poor weather wise in any mans language despite the usual comical Ali reports from some here.

I had over 30 days of 20c+ highs. I don’t see how that is poor for here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I'm surprised Cork hasn't meant the criteria for a yellow rainfall warning. Chucking it down for hours now, loads of surface water on road.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 leeash10

Rain, Temp 4c @ 303 MTRS West Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Finally a cold clear sunny morning here in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Same here, finally some sunshine. Fence looks like it's on fire with all the evaporation this morning!

https://streamable.com/mb39pz

Here’s a video that actually works. There appears to be snow on Slieve Snaght

https://streamable.com/35mg5e

• Advertisement

Islay peeking through

Advertisement