Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Great pic N. Love a good mountain forest trail!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Great pic N. Love a good mountain forest trail!

Yes hopefully we’ll get our share of snow up here in the next few days..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭OldRio

Cool 5C but blue sky and sunshine. Co. Leitrim. Stunning afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Beautiful day in Galway. Keep this coming please. The birds are really starting to sing now.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

OldRio wrote: »
    Cool 5C but blue sky and sunshine. Co. Leitrim. Stunning afternoon.

What part you in, I'm in Carrick, lovely and sunny here but cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭OldRio

Dazler97 wrote: »
    What part you in, I'm in Carrick, lovely and sunny here but cold

Hi Dazler97. We're in Fenagh

• Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I know it's not very strong right now, but it was interesting to see the Sun get to work on the wet ground this morning. The floods in the fields retreated fairly quickly. Aside from one brief hail shower, it has been fine all day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm sick of this now in NCD, another wash out day.

Everywhere is saturated.

I'm hoping dry weather is on the way tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Met Eireann:

Issued at: 20 January 2021 16:35
    TODAY - Wednesday 20th January

TONIGHT

Any rain, sleet or snow in the east will quickly clear tonight with clear spells and scattered wintry showers extending nationwide. Showers falling as sleet or snow at times, most frequent in the north and west where they may be heavy with hail. Lowest temperatures of -1 to +2 degrees with frost and icy patches in many areas, in moderate to fresh westerly winds.

TOMORROW - Thursday 21st January

Thursday will be cold with sunny spells and scattered showers, some of hail and some wintry on high ground. Showers will be most frequent in the north and west during the morning, but will become more isolated through the afternoon and evening. Much of the southeast will stay dry. Highest temperatures of 4 to 7 degrees with moderate to fresh west to northwest breezes.
    National Outlook

Thursday night will be dry in many areas with clear spells. Showers will affect parts of the west and north. These will become increasingly wintry overnight, Frost will develop in many areas as winds fall off light. Lowest temperatures of -3 to + 2 degrees.

Friday will be cold with bright or sunny spells and scattered wintry showers, heaviest and most frequent in the west and north and well scattered further east. Highest temperatures of 3 to 6 degrees with light breezes. Friday night will be very cold with frost and icy patches developing. Some fog patches also. Most areas will be dry. However, wintry showers will continue in the northwest overnight. Lowest temperatures of -4 to 0 degrees .

Saturday and Sunday will continue very cold with sunny spells and scattered wintry showers. Highest temperatures ranging from 2 to 6 degrees. Widespread frost both nights with temperatures dropping to -4 degrees in places.

Current indications for next week suggest that Monday will continue very cold with further wintry showers and frost at night.

On Tuesday, rain will spread from the west, possibly falling as sleet or snow for a time as it meets the colder air.

OldRio wrote: »
    Hi Dazler97. We're in Fenagh

Ah nice one, I can feel the frost in the air alright

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

appledrop wrote: »
    I'm sick of this now in NCD, another wash out day.

Everywhere is saturated.

I'm hoping dry weather is on the way tomorrow.

The next 4 to 5 days will be mostly dry, I doubt Dublin will see any precipitation unless there are sudden changes to the models, showers mainly confined to western and northern coasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

The gradual stretch in the evenings was evident in the clearer skies here today in the west. Today's blue skies were most welcome after yesterday's washout. I saw a very slight dusting on some of the higher mountain peaks again as a few wintry showers drifted over them during the day.
    Below a pic taken at 17.29 this eve that still shows a residual glow in the southwest along with the cloud tops of some showers just off the Mayo coast.

540127.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Frost developing on car roofs already, Galway city. Only 7pm.

Lovely day but set in with a quick cool this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Frost developing on car roofs already, Galway city. Only 7pm.

Lovely day but set in with a quick cool this evening.

Heavy showers moving in from the West now wonder if there will be sparks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great pic Goldfinch8.

Very defined back edge to the Front today. Good sunshine and seen a few CB's and large Congestus on the way home this evening here in Kerry. Had a couple of hail showers late afternoon and could see a few shower curtains out of big clouds in the distance. Breezy this evening and temps staying up at 5.3C after a high of 9.9C. A few showers going through.

NASA

2PGiKsf.png

It was remarkable how quickly the front cleared here in Cork. It went from bucketing rain to nearly perfectly clear in half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Same here, finally some sunshine. Fence looks like it's on fire with all the evaporation this morning!

https://streamable.com/mb39pz

Class.

New Moon

Frost on the windows here in Carrick on Shannon, 0c at the moment but showers pushing in from northwest could mean some snowfall hopefully🀞🀞

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Really windy and cold in Dublin, I hate the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cold with heavy showers here in Castlebar. 3 degrees. Horrible morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Cold with heavy showers here in Castlebar. 3 degrees. Horrible morning.
    I am beginning to hate this winter.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Utter utter utter misery here in Galway. I am going to go back to bed for the day. May I never wake.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lovely day in cork city. Blue skies and sunshine. 6 degrees but feels cooler, shaded spots the cars have ice on them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Cool but dry and partly sunny in South Kildare with a slight breeze. A welcome change from low lying dark grey rain clouds blotting out the sun for days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A very fine day too here in the Real Capitol. Not noticeably cold either, to me at least.

Lovely day in cork city. Blue skies and sunshine. 6 degrees but feels cooler, shaded spots the cars have ice on them

We've done well this January compared to other parts of the country. Despite the heavy rain yesterday and Tuesday, we're on course for a sunnier and drier January than average. We've also had more frosts in the last three weeks than we would get in an entire winter some years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

We've done well this January compared to other parts of the country. Despite the heavy rain yesterday and Tuesday, we're on course for a sunnier and drier January than average. We've also had more frosts in the last three weeks than we would get in an entire winter some years.

Cork Airport with 62.1 hrs this January to now is the sunniest station in the UK & Ireland and it's around 107% of its January sunshine average. You have done well indeed.

Most others have had below average sunshine this January to now.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Cork Airport with 62.1 hrs this January to now is the sunniest station in the UK & Ireland and it's around 107% of its January sunshine average. You have done well indeed.

Most others have had below average sunshine this January to now.

57mm rain for the month so far compared to mean of 131mm, and with a decent forecast we should come in way under. Mean temperature also 1.3 degrees down and a full 2 degrees on last three years.

I cut my grass last weekend which is a rare treat in January.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

after 3 days of rain, mist and drizzle, today is a lovely day, unbroken blue skies, plenty of sun and no wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

57mm rain for the month so far compared to mean of 131mm, and with a decent forecast we should come in way under. Mean temperature also 1.3 degrees down and a full 2 degrees on last three years.

I cut my grass last weekend which is a rare treat in January.

noticed a few cm growth over the past week since we've been back to the muck, first daisy popped up too.

Advertisement