Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

Yes please.

Knipsel2.JPG.d78333f233904cad9767360d514f53b5.JPG

Met Eireann forecast back to milder conditions, Wind and lots of Rain from Tuesday, 7-11 Degrees. It's just not meant to happen in Ireland, the Atlantic always screws things up for us, the Atlantic always wins. Same in Summer, brings nothing but dark skies most of the time.

We really need to relocate this Island lol

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

Met Eireann forecast back to milder conditions, Wind and lots of Rain from Tuesday, 7-11 Degrees. It's just not meant to happen in Ireland, the Atlantic always screws things up for us, the Atlantic always wins. Same in Summer, brings nothing but dark skies most of the time.

But that was always in the forecast...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

From met eireann:

Minimum air temperatures overnight at our 25 synoptic weather stations ranged from -5.3°C at Athenry, Co Galway to 1°C at Malin Head, Co. Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

It's the second half of January after all. Dont get proper cold spells at this time of the winter anymore. Looks like something proper in early feb though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭circadian

Woke up first thing, wee man saw the frost everywhere and wanted to go for a walk. At the door my daughter comes downstairs in her pyjamas and I asked "wanna come for the walk?" she opens the door, gets a blast of cold air and..

tenor.gif?itemid=8123780

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yes. Some people have had ice days.

Nobody had a couple of Ice days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭OldRio

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

Why do this? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

OldRio wrote: »
    Why do this? Why?

He is owenc is he not? From a number of yrs ago. Or frosty joe on netweather again from a number of yrs ago ,came from the north also. Must be the same poster.
    Same temperament anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Galtees are looking a little bit frosty this afternoon, from 70 km away:

AKAiVMIr_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Why the hell do you keep assuming everyone else is wrong but you?
    Plenty of people including me had snow/frost that hung around for a few days without thawing two weeks ago, thats not including the othe days this winter where the frost didn't melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I did; you are just ignorant of the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭circadian

As a Derry man we'd often joke that Belfast was the centre of the universe. Turns out it's actually Limavady.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Billcarson wrote: »
    He is owenc is he not? From a number of yrs ago. Or frosty joe on netweather again from a number of yrs ago ,came from the north also. Must be the same poster.
    Same temperament anyway.

Owenc that's it, I was trying to think of the name the other day. Jesus he was a right dose.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yes they did.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We had an ice day on Sunday 6th of December with a high of -1 with freezing fog. We also just about got an ice day in the final day of the Christmas/New Year cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Gonzo wrote: »
    We had an ice day on Sunday 6th of December with a high of -1 with freezing fog. We also just about got an ice day in the final day of the Christmas/New Year cold spell.
    was that in Dunsany or are you talking about the country in general? I've somehow forgotten about that one! I still remember the early December one though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Artane2002 wrote: »
    was that in Dunsany or are you talking about the country in general? I've somehow forgotten about that one! I still remember the early December one though.

That Sunday Dunsany had the lowest daytime high in the country with just -1C. It was around -2 for most of that day. I was in Dublin City that afternoon and it was very similar, the temperature there was around 0C all day in freezing dense fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

Snowing here in NCD. Big snowflakes. Hope it lasts until the morning!

Some snow here on the Carlow Kildare boarder nothing much and not expecting much more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Very mysterious what is happening. My memory doesnt stretch that far back to recall such a prolonged stretch of freezing weather. Something is changing. Bitterly cold winters are found normally in regions with defined seasons, so with extremes. There are very few places on the planet, bar arctic regions, where you get bitter winters and no real seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

Snow is pelting down here in NCD.

I'm actually really excited!

The_Brood wrote: »
    Very mysterious what is happening. My memory doesnt stretch that far back to recall such a prolonged stretch of freezing weather. Something is changing. Bitterly cold winters are found normally in regions with defined seasons, so with extremes. There are very few places on the planet, bar arctic regions, where you get bitter winters and no real seasons.

What do you mean? I don’t notice much of a change in our winters. Perhaps the weather year round is more volatile. But we definitely don’t have arctic cold winters.

Although I understand your point about no seasons. We definitely did have an amazing spring/early summer last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Not much snow here in North Cork, there were a few flurries after that band of drizzle passed over. The Ballyhouras look a bit whiter but a bit of sun and that could be gone soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

My snowman is under a bit of pressure already. Surprised how much thaw there is given the temperature.

We need more snow. Hopefully there will be more opportunities into February. I'm not as confident we'll have a severe cold spell now, but as last night showed we don't need it to get snow. I think it could be more of the same; weak wedges of high pressure allowing for colder interludes, and possible frontal events at times if the jet goes far enough south.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Dublin Airport is down to -1c after having been at 0c for a while, Knock is at -1c too. Hopefully somewhere can squeeze in an ice day but that is unlikely.

Also a pathetic fact is that this snowfall is the biggest one in my area (3cm I'd guess) since 2010/11 excluding the 2 2018 BFTEs! this just shows how pathetic our winters normally are.

another thing is that if February manages to get lying snow, then this would be the first winter in a long time to have lying snow in all three months here. the last one might be 2009/10 if not before that.

this is a bit of an IMBY post but I thought it would be interesting to share.

My snowman is under a bit of pressure already. Surprised how much thaw there is given the temperature.

We need more snow. Hopefully there will be more opportunities into February. I'm not as confident we'll have a severe cold spell now, but as last night showed we don't need it to get snow. I think it could be more of the same; weak wedges of high pressure allowing for colder interludes, and possible frontal events at times if the jet goes far enough south.

Yes the ground needs to be frozen. With at least a few inches of snow, usually a few cm’s doesn’t last unless it’s well below 0c.

In saying that the snow is melting here today at a slower rate despite similar temps. So perhaps the hard freeze last night is helping things.

Would prefer showers. These frontal events bring nothing but cloud for me and kept the temperature up last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

In saying that the snow is melting here today at a slower rate despite similar temps. So perhaps the hard freeze last night is helping things.

its funny, the last snowfall here was much less than this, and the temperature was not as cold, but it did not melt as quickly. Although we did have a lot of frosty days before it.

• Advertisement

its funny, the last snowfall here was much less than this, and the temperature was not as cold, but it did not melt as quickly. Although we did have a lot of frosty days before it.

If temps stay around 0c or -1c after the snow it doesn’t freeze as hard. Consistent nights of frost definitely helps.

Advertisement