Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭secman

Grandsons snowmen last night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭giveitholly

secman wrote: »

Impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭secman

Tops of Dublin mountains yesterday, Kippure on the right.

secman wrote: »

Haha, good job Lads! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Any wonder the snow isn’t melting! It’s only 1c! Thought it was far warmer.

• Advertisement

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Any wonder the snow isn’t melting! It’s only 1c! Thought it was far warmer.

Much the same here and the little bit that fell is gone or almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭appledrop

We got loads of snow in end but was hard going building the snowman as really powdery snow. We got there in the end though!

It was lovely this morning as sun was out + sky a beautiful blue colour.

Bitterly cold out there now + snow rapidly melting now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Horrible morning I really thought my run on Friday morning wouldn’t be bet for miserable conditions but this morning was close. Overcast dull roads slippy in parts and a wind that would cut you in 2. Friday morning through was hard to beat. Horrible sleety mixture windy and dangerous for walking or jogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A fairly bright afternoon here outside Castlebar with last nights snow mostly gone . Nice moon on the rise to the east and a very bright pass of the ISS coming up at 7.19pm . Look to the south west and you will see it a long way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Absolutely bucketing down now in Sandyford for last 1/2 hour. Ground covered again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭littlema

Loooong walk in sun but bitter wind from the North. Think that's it for us.... Roscommon did much better than Sligo this time ;)

Absolutely bucketing down now in Sandyford for last 1/2 hour. Ground covered again

Absolutely bucketing down now in Sandyford for last 1/2 hour. Ground covered again - sorry can’t attach pic or video for some reason

Horrible morning I really thought my run on Friday morning wouldn’t be bet for miserable conditions but this morning was close. Overcast dull roads slippy in parts and a wind that would cut you in 2. Friday morning through was hard to beat. Horrible sleety mixture windy and dangerous for walking or jogging.

You're some man for the misery posts! Mother of God, it's depressing reading your reports.

Far more snow in Derry. They got several more showers.

It’s 1c here as well, the snow is frozen solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

You're some man for the misery posts! Mother of God, it's depressing reading your reports.

Its too cold, its too damp, its too wet, its too icy, its too humid, its too hot......never happy it seems. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think this is one of the best winters in quite a number of years.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Calibos wrote: »
    Its too cold, its too damp, its too wet, its too icy, its too humid, its too hot......never happy it seems. :D:D

I'm not far from him and it's been a great winter so far. Loads of sun and some great, hard frosts that have lasted through the day. Imagine the weather not being ideal for a run in January! In Ireland!

Calibos wrote: »

Complains in summer then why we dont have great summers. Perhaps he/she forgets we live in Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Yeah I've really enjoyed it. So much better than the mild damp muck with endless Atlantic lows we are usually stuck with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Yes the ground needs to be frozen. With at least a few inches of snow, usually a few cm’s doesn’t last unless it’s well below 0c.

In saying that the snow is melting here today at a slower rate despite similar temps. So perhaps the hard freeze last night is helping things.

Would be interesting to know the science behind that. Just back from a walk and while there's still dry powder snow locally despite three days of direct sunlight, in the park the sun has made short work of anything not in the shade

IMG-20210124-135135.jpg

IMG-20210124-141646.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The thaw has stopped here within the last 30 minutes. It's going to be a cold night!

Gorgeous day in derry

Pile of showers forming again. Raging wanted a sharp frost..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I have to disagree. It's just a different tier of crap. As wishy washy as the winter 2013/2014 was, I'd take 10 times over to what this winter has spewed on us so far.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I have to disagree. It's just a different tier of crap. As wishy washy as the winter 2013/2014 was, I'd take 10 times over to what this winter has spewed on us so far.

It’s been chilly but definitely not deep cold. This isn’t a patch on 2010.

Widespread deep snow cover and temps stuck at -5c or less during the day. Even managed a -11c max in Northern Ireland, which is exceptional!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It’s been chilly but definitely not deep cold!

That's the thing. This half arsed damp chill which has been ongoing this month is wearying and increasingly unpleasant. A < than -10c from the north or east is a lot more pleasant feeling cold than this miserable north Atlantic dark chill.

New Moon

Its a beautiful evening here near Castlebar. Deep blue skies out west with hint of pink. Cold night ahead.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    That's the thing. This half arsed damp chill which has been ongoing this month is wearying and increasingly unpleasant. A < than -10c from the north or east is a lot more pleasant feeling cold than this miserable north Atlantic dark chill.

I suppose we all want different things from a winter, but in my part of the country we've had loads of sunshine and more frosts this winter than we've probably had in the last three or four put together. It's been lovely. Proper winter weather. Crisp and clear.

What you are looking for is pretty exceptional in this country. The alternative to what we have at the moment is usually Atlantic muck rather than what you describe.

I think the models have promised a lot of what you describe and have not delivered, and that seems to have peeved some people off.

Anyway, the Atlantic roars back on Tuesday so you won't have to worry about the miserable chill for too much longer.

• Advertisement

It’s been chilly but definitely not deep cold. This isn’t a patch on 2010.

Widespread deep snow cover and temps stuck at -5c or less during the day. Even managed a -11c max in Northern Ireland, which is exceptional!

2009 and 2010 were exceptional. I don't think anyone is claiming it's been anything like that, but then again the vast, vast majority of winters are nothing like that and just because they aren't doesn't have to mean they are a disappointment. If 2010 were the bar, then we'd be disappointed all of the time.

Advertisement