Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Going by the ECMWF its showing 5cm of snow in places on Tuesday morning but thawing quickly later Tuesday morning and over the afternoon. We had a similar set up like this about 4 or 5 years ago that dumped massive amounts in parts of Donegal, Tyrone and Derry in a short period of time but was all gone by sunrise nearly

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Gonzo wrote: »
    interesting video. They claim most lowland and southern parts of the UK get 10 days of falling snow per year or less. Many parts of Ireland struggles to get 1 or 2 days of falling snow per year I reckon. Some parts see no flakes at all some years.

The north-west propbably see's more snow on average than any other part of Ireland (Donegal, Mayo, Sligo).

I'm fairly sure Monaghan is the snowiest county in Republic of Ireland (according to Met Eireann)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Going by the ECMWF its showing 5cm of snow in places on Tuesday morning but thawing quickly later Tuesday morning and over the afternoon. We had a similar set up like this about 4 or 5 years ago that dumped massive amounts in parts of Donegal, Tyrone and Derry in a short period of time but was all gone by sunrise nearly

Had similar on 24th February last year in Letterkenny, front passed through and dumped a good 5-6cm of very wet snow in just a couple of hours

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Snow coverage showing up fairly well on Satellite Pic today even through the high Cirrus.

Cloudy day in Kerry after a sunny start highest temp now of 4.2C, currently on the way up under the advancing cloud, light wind from the SSE .

Low -1.7C

Good coating of snow on the local mountains and on nearby hills.

NASA Sat Pic

4Jh0pL9.png

Hail or Graupel that crystalized during the frost last night.

mBzBogk.jpg?1

lHeyHzc.png?1

D12IHOS.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Could we be seeing sheep being pulled out of the ditches again up around Cavan like what happened some years ago when the rest of us down south had rain.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Could we be seeing sheep being pulled out of the ditches again up around Cavan like what happened some years ago when the rest of us down south had rain.

No, the bulk of the snow will be in the sperrins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

sryanbruen wrote: »
    According to Met E's Snowfall in Ireland article from 2012, Dublin Airport sees 20 days of falling snow every year which even including sleet, I find a bit hard to believe. I compiled days of snow falling for every winter (October to May) at the station since 1987 using weather bulletins which they stopped doing after 2015. 2015-16 to present day I compiled using my own observations with my relatively close locality to the airport. Open to error. Not many years here of 20 snow falling days, 2009-10 being the only one of this century so far.

This winter, I've observed 6 days of "snow falling" with 1 of them being mainly sleet (December 28th). Same as last year although the ones this year have been more significant.

vwG55nh.png

Just wondering if your lower days from 2016 on are possibly due to missing some snowfalls during the night? It's hard to compete with a station manned 24/7! Most falls will occur at night so it's not inconceivable.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    No we didn't. Cork Airport had a depth of 26cm on 20 February 1978 from that blizzard - its greatest depth. Shannon Airport had a depth of 6cm - also its greatest depth. It was a great event for southern parts of the country.

EDIT: And I see you probably meant the 1987 beast from the east, not 1978.

No, it mentioned 1982, 87 and 78 in that piece I quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    No, the bulk of the snow will be in the sperrins.

Well Slieve Glah is over 300 metres so I'm sure be something up around there and could be farmland with animals about.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

currently 0c and very frosty here in Meath but the hazy cloud is now here as much milder air is on it's way across the country. Already 8C in parts of the west.

temp_uk.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Gonzo wrote: »
    currently 0c and very frosty here in Meath but the hazy cloud is now here as much milder air is on it's way across the country. Already 8C in parts of the west.

Up to 5.7C here near Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Holy Duck

Down the beach just before sunset, plenty of ice and frozen snow still, even where the tide would have been and gone, couldn't believe it, the sand was crunchy underfoot not unlike walking on snow, NCD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Comhra wrote: »
    Bedroom window this morning. Haven't seen these patterns for years. It was -3.1c

AFYhsIBh.jpg

A photo very similar to this one was shown on the Rte1 weather at 9.30.
    Did you send it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Not sure if this is allowed in here and if not apologies and Mods, can you move it to appropriate thread !!

RTE Report on the 1962 Blizzard

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/1212/926729-snow-covers-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

I thought the sea would have been frozen ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0115/760459-the-big-snow/

Thought this was a pretty cool video - from 1982 snow :) Those were the days eh (well, I wasn't even born :pac:), but you know, simpler times - sigh, the 80's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Back to the cloudy damp murky weather here in Castlebar this morning with mist/ fog down on the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Slow thaw 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

lolie wrote: »
    A photo very similar to this one was shown on the Rte1 weather at 9.30.
    Did you send it in?

No. I saw the one on the weather forecast but it wasn't mine.

One of these days I'll get around to sending one in. I've been meaning to do so for ages but never seem to get around to doing so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Back to filthy mild mist in Cork. Sigh.

• Advertisement

bazlers wrote: »
    I thought the sea would have been frozen ; )

The report is from Dec 1962
    The real cold spells didn't come until January and February 1963 and you can bet the sea froze then

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

About as miserable as it gets today in Dublin. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

As with everyone else, back to miserable drizzly crap this morning after a nice bright few days. Rapid thaw since last night with only a patchy snow cover left this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Yesterday was beautiful - I miss the crisp cool frost and blue sky. Gone again - it couldn't last! :mad: It feels like the sun rises just one day out of five in south Kildare. Most of the time we have wet grey muck summer and winter. It feels like living underground in a dark cave where the roof is always leaking.

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Back to filthy mild mist in Cork. Sigh.

We had a good run of it, but still feels miserable when the muck comes back. Snuck out in the sun yesterday afternoon to get one last hit before it departed us.

The hills here still have plenty of snow on them. I’m not sure if there was a top up overnight. It was 3c here when raining so possibly not.

Anyway, Saturday looks cold. Not sure if there’ll be snow here though.

Looking at the charts, the cold air stays over Scotland throughout, with <400 metre freezing levels.

Pity it couldn’t extend west 100 miles! Irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Any of the snow forecasted for the northern half of Ireland materialise last night? None here in my corner of Cavan anyway

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Any of the snow forecasted for the northern half of Ireland materialise last night? None here in my corner of Cavan anyway

I was asleep. I’m sure it did snow above 200-300 metres. None of the snow looks to have melted on the hills here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow -
    Rainfall warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Longford, Louth, Westmeath and Meath

Heavy rain. Risk of localised flooding.

Valid: 18:00 Wednesday 27/01/2021 to 06:00 Thursday 28/1/21

Advertisement