Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I know Scotland gets far more snow than us normally, but if you lived up there this winter you'd be of the view this winter has been a very good one . It has not been mild very often there since December. Some spots a bit higher up there could see 20- 30 cm of snow later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I wish we could just skip February and get into March and get some nice Spring days. At least it's only 28 days. 4 weeks of Mondays to Sundays, it's very satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I wish we could just skip February and get into March and get some nice Spring days. At least it's only 28 days. 4 weeks of Mondays to Sundays, it's very satisfying.

Since when have we been guaranteed nice Spring days in this country? Last year was a very pleasant exception but I remember wearing my winter coat well into April and even May some years.

Emme wrote: »
    Since when have we been guaranteed nice Spring days in this country? Last year was a very pleasant exception but I remember wearing my winter coat well into April and even May some years.

We've never been guaranteed anything here but we normally get a couple of decent days in between the wind and rain once you get to March or so.
    June was horrible the last 2 years, highs of 13c and lashing rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

There is still a tremendous amount of snow above 300 metres. It’s melting a bit and creating a layer of ice on the road. I tried to drive up and decided to reverse down. People must’ve driven up this when it was frozen, I have no idea how!

I will post more photos later. Temp is 3c.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I know Scotland gets far more snow than us normally, but if you lived up there this winter you'd be of the view this winter has been a very good one . It has not been mild very often there since December. Some spots a bit higher up there could see 20- 30 cm of snow later this week.

my cousins live just north of Edinburgh, they have hardly seen the green grass since Christmas, it's basically been snow cover throughout the past month, when the snow starts melting it gets replaced by another snow cover and so on. They've had a fantastic winter.

The snow off the road is actually frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    The snow off the road is actually frozen.

Where is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Cloudy nondescript evening out there at 9°c

Looks as though there WAS snow last night. I am at 300 metres in NW Northern Ireland. It’s about 2-3c here and the snow is melting very slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

leahyl wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0115/760459-the-big-snow/

Thought this was a pretty cool video - from 1982 snow :) Those were the days eh (well, I wasn't even born :pac:), but you know, simpler times - sigh, the 80's :D

I remember it well... I was 9 and had no idea it was due to snow... We were due to go back to school that day after the Christmas holidays and I woke up, put my clothes on for school and then pulled the curtains in my bedroom back and WHAM !!!! about 2 foot of snow outside .... CUE WILD FRANTIC EXCITED 9 YEAR OLD KID SCREAMING .... bloody magical it was!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Another rain warning, this will push us here in meath over 100mm for the month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

We've never been guaranteed anything here but we normally get a couple of decent days in between the wind and rain once you get to March or so.
    June was horrible the last 2 years, highs of 13c and lashing rain.

I hope we get some nice days in Spring. The SAD is really kicking in now with me. I haven't had it this bad for years.

Met Office has me down for snow on Sunday morning.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Met Office has me down for snow on Sunday morning.

Yep. You could be in for a good snowfall on Sunday.

snowdepth_20210126_12_150.jpg.f4bb71caa7476a86790b9725ffd4715e.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yep. You could be in for a good snowfall on Sunday.

Go on nacho time for a thread !

Could get everything, snow, rainfall and wind warnings, will be well covered!

Go on nacho time for a thread !

Could get everything, snow, rainfall and wind warnings, will be well covered!

Oneiric will be happy in that scenario. If I start a thread i'll surely jink it:D
    Kermit has the snow gods on his side.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭tiegan

Oneiric will be happy in that scenario. If I start a thread i'll surely jink it:D

Kermit IS the snow god!!

Actually feels tropical out there right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Go for it. :)

It's Sunday so god's day of rest is my day of rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Go for it. :)

It's Sunday so god's day of rest is my day of rest.

Kermee when it comes to chasing the white gold you never rest ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Another one of my ramblings here, but since i would have never experienced it, is there a noticeable difference of how you would feel -30 Celsius compared to -60? Cold is cold as they say.

Met Office and others now have a snow symbol for Sunday. Whether that materialises or it heads this far north is another question.

bazlers wrote: »
    Another one of my ramblings here, but since i would have never experienced it, is there a noticeable difference of how you would feel -30 Celsius compared to -60? Cold is cold as they say.

I saw a video on twitter during the week where in a siberian town,firemen were hammering each others hard hats off because they were stuck to their uniform
    That was minus 50 I think

Coldest I experienced was in Livigno at -23 and noticed the hairs inside my nose got stiff
    I was telling a friend lecturing in Kingston Ontario at the time who told me that's how they knew the difference between a cold day and a REALLY cold day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

AuntySnow wrote: »
    I saw a video on twitter during the week where in a siberian town,firemen were hammering each others hard hats off because they were stuck to their uniform
    That was minus 50 I think

Coldest I experienced was in Livigno at -23 and noticed the hairs inside my nose got stiff
    I was telling a friend lecturing in Kingston Ontario at the time who told me that's how they knew the difference between a cold day and a REALLY cold day

I experienced -21 visiting family in Edmonton, Canada a couple of years back. It wasn't too bad at all really, flat calm so I guess that helps :)

I probably don't have as much nose hair as you because it's not something I noticed :p

2fb77b77-6d46-4bbd-87e4-621fd213af4b.jpg

Lovely day in Dublin. Mild and no wind and bright enough. Perfect walking and jogging weather. More of this please.

Awful day here. Grey misery.

mcburns07 wrote: »
    I experienced -21 visiting family in Edmonton, Canada a couple of years back. It wasn't too bad at all really, flat calm so I guess that helps :)

St Albert with its -17 Ctoday is on the same latitude as Dublin, north county. So let's be thankful a bit for the Atlantic.

Lovely day in Dublin. Mild and no wind and bright enough. Perfect walking and jogging weather. More of this please.

I have been walking most of the winter in some area dry cool or cold weather. Today was a gloomy day of nothingness. I can actually handle lower temperatures in Ireland better but 11 is hard to prepare for. It's not hat wearing or glove wearing weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

St Albert with its -17 Ctoday is on the same latitude as Dublin, north county. So let's be thankful a bit for the Atlantic.

Maybe the novelty wears thin after a while but I found the weather over there really pleasant. They get twice as much sun as us during the winter (Avg 3-4 hours per day). Wrap up well and you don't even feel the cold.

None of this damp misty ****e either.... and they get a proper summer every year :)

I'd take their weather all day long over what we have to endure.

Advertisement