Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

AuntySnow wrote: »
    I saw a video on twitter during the week where in a siberian town,firemen were hammering each others hard hats off because they were stuck to their uniform
    That was minus 50 I think

Coldest I experienced was in Livigno at -23 and noticed the hairs inside my nose got stiff
    I was telling a friend lecturing in Kingston Ontario at the time who told me that's how they knew the difference between a cold day and a REALLY cold day

Livigno is a cold aul spot. When I was there it was -10 during the day and -18 at night. Not ideal skiing conditions really

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I had -30 to -35 in Calgary, I can't remember if that was with wind chill or the actual temperature, but it was March just as I thought winter was ending the worst commenced, was a couple of weeks. Give me our sh*tty winters any time over that carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Give me their winters over ours any time. This seemingly never ending wet and grey crap is soul destroying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Give me their winters over ours any time. This seemingly never ending wet and grey crap is soul destroying

Especially when the wet grey crap continues for most of the summer months. For the last two days here it has been so dark it might as well be night. Winter in Ireland is wet grey crap when you can't tell night from day and summer isn't much different! I really enjoyed the super cold snaps of 2009/2010 because it was bright for a few hours a day not like now. The reflection of sunlight on snow makes up for super cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A dark wet afternoon here just outside Castlebar. Low cloud base with fog on the hills. Miserable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We've had a colder winter than the last two but this was bound to happen anyway as the past two winters were non existent. This has been a winter with plenty of promise but very little delivery. We've seen better results from cold zonality in overall mild winters. We've been most unlucky this winter and as long as those heights stay over Spain and Portugal we're snookered for what's left of this winter in terms of getting a real proper northerly or anything in from the east with a suitable cold pool. Those heights just refuse to go away from the med for more than a day or two and then they are right back keeping the battleground over Scotland and north-east England with us generally on the milder side.

Maybe we will see a more positive change over the next week but every time we get our hopes up they are dashed within 24 hours.

Honestly having ice and snow on the ground for months is just horrible, you can barely go for a walk never mind exercise properly outside.
    Spend a couple of winters in Alberta and then get back to me.
    We probably have the worst summers in the civilised world but at least we have easy access to warm weather countries a couple of hours away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Honestly having ice and snow on the ground for months is just horrible, you can barely go for a walk never mind exercise properly outside.
    We probably have the worst summers in the civilised world but at least we have easy access to warm weather countries a couple of hours away.

I don't think anyone here is wishing for months of ice and snow but a few days of it would be most welcome and a change from the misty damp muck we experience through most of the year. Unfortunately going to warm countries for a bit of summer sun won't be an option yet again this summer as we've all been told we've to stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

A dark wet afternoon here just outside Castlebar. Low cloud base with fog on the hills. Miserable.

Same in meath, just horrible,

I have and I loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

You can skate on ice and ski on snow. You can wear snowgrips on your boots to walk in snow. I'd rather that than try to go for a walk in constant grey rain and mud.

Our easy access to warm weather countries may be somewhat hampered for the next while by Covid-19 lockdowns and quarantines.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I don't think anyone here is wishing for months of ice and snow but a few days of it would be most welcome and a change from the misty damp muck we experience through most of the year. Unfortunately going to warm countries for a bit of summer sun won't be an option yet again this summer as we've all been told we've to stay at home.

I will admit if we were guaranteed months of snow every year it could well lose its charm for me. I don't think i'd have ran outside as quickly to walk in the snow last Saturday if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Gonzo wrote: »
    We've had a colder winter than the last two but this was bound to happen anyway as the past two winters were non existent. This has been a winter with plenty of promise but very little delivery. We've seen better results from cold zonality in overall mild winters. We've been most unlucky this winter and as long as those heights stay over Spain and Portugal we're snookered for what's left of this winter in terms of getting a real proper northerly or anything in from the east with a suitable cold pool. Those heights just refuse to go away from the med for more than a day or two and then they are right back keeping the battleground over Scotland and north-east England with us generally on the milder side.

Maybe we will see a more positive change over the next week but every time we get our hopes up they are dashed within 24 hours.
    if nothing changes between now and the end of the winter then I'll probably remember this winter as the winter of cold rain and freezing rain.

I will admit if we were guaranteed months of snow every year it could well lose its charm for me. I don't think i'd have ran outside as quickly to walk in the snow last Saturday if that was the case.

Nordics seem to enjoy it. Why? Better footwear. Sleds. Warm winter wear. They stop running and start skiing or skating for exercise.

Its us in the middle north latitudes, with eternal gloominess, not much frost that have it worse. As anybody who comes from there, or even from Central and North Eastern Europe, will attest.

That said I am happy enough with this winter, I don't expect a beast frost the East every year.

foggy and drizzly in Dublin 5, wasn't expecting any fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It may have not been the coldest Dec/Jan in the world for us and a good deal milder than this time 10 years ago (as well as 11 years ago) but despite that, the Arctic blocking this winter to now has been phenomenal with Dec/Jan 2020-21 set to have the most -AO days for the respective period since 2009-10 and third most since 1950.

2020-21 seems a bit of a joker in the pack when you look at the other years like 2009-10, 1962-63 and 2010-11. 1969-70 didn't start off anything remarkable but did get snowy in February and March of that year, 1976-77 had a notably cold December and 1958-59 had a cold January.

The blocking just has not favoured bringing in a severe cold feed directly from the northeast with any blocking on our side, with the exception of early January's easterly, being in the form of mid-Atlantic ridging or "wedges" to the north in combination with stubborn positive heights around Iberia or the Azores.

Perhaps 2005-06, which is in the table, is the most comparable as that winter provided a lot of teases and included a major SSW event in January 2006 which did bring a severe cold pool into eastern Europe at one point but never came to us. We did eventually get a fairly notable cold spell in late February/early March 2006 but the snow was nothing to write home about. One difference I'd say (you never get a winter like for like) between the two is the fact 2005-06 was a lot more anticyclonic and very dry a lot of the time.

https://twitter.com/griteater/status/1354114848024625152?s=20

Emme wrote: »
    You can skate on ice and ski on snow. You can wear snowgrips on your boots to walk in snow. I'd rather that than try to go for a walk in constant grey rain and mud.

Our easy access to warm weather countries may be somewhat hampered for the next while by Covid-19 lockdowns and quarantines.

I've been out jogging every 2nd day or so with no problems since the start of the month, maybe it's worse in other parts of Ireland.
    You get knackered even walking to the shops in Canadian winters, you have to dress like an eskimo to go outside, it's a bloody ordeal. I remember missing the last bus from downtown home one night and my gf and I almost froze to death walking home.
    You guys might like it but no way could I live in that long term.

Nordics seem to enjoy it. Why? Better footwear. Sleds. Warm winter wear. They stop running and start skiing or skating for exercise.

Its us in the middle north latitudes, with eternal gloominess, not much frost that have it worse. As anybody who comes from there, or even from Central and North Eastern Europe, will attest.

That said I am happy enough with this winter, I don't expect a beast frost the East every year.

Well at least with colder weather you are more likely to get drier weather overall. This greyness just seems to compound our current situation. I would happily take a cold dry high now , if a snowy spell is not going to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

We had easy access doesn’t look like that’s open to us anymore.

We had easy access doesn’t look like that’s open to us anymore.

Well hopefully next year. Or I'm building a raft and navigating my way to Spain.
    Would be great if we got a half decent Spring/Summer this year, praise be to the weather Gods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Well hopefully next year. Or I'm building a raft and navigating my way to Spain.
    Would be great if we got a half decent Spring/Summer this year, praise be to the weather Gods.

I’m not giving up on this year yet though

I’m not giving up on this year yet though

ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I would definitely never get sick of seeing the sun and blue skies most days though :)

Weather like New York would be ideal, they get tons of variety and enough of the extremes to keep things interesting but so much that you get fed up of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It may have not been the coldest Dec/Jan in the world for us and a good deal milder than this time 10 years ago (as well as 11 years ago) but despite that, the Arctic blocking this winter to now has been phenomenal with Dec/Jan 2020-21 set to have the most -AO days for the respective period since 2009-10 and third most since 1950.

2020-21 seems a bit of a joker in the pack when you look at the other years like 2009-10, 1962-63 and 2010-11. 1969-70 didn't start off anything remarkable but did get snowy in February and March of that year, 1976-77 had a notably cold December and 1958-59 had a cold January.

The blocking just has not favoured bringing in a severe cold feed directly from the northeast with any blocking on our side, with the exception of early January's easterly, being in the form of mid-Atlantic ridging or "wedges" to the north in combination with stubborn positive heights around Iberia or the Azores.

Perhaps 2005-06, which is in the table, is the most comparable as that winter provided a lot of teases and included a major SSW event in January 2006 which did bring a severe cold pool into eastern Europe at one point but never came to us. We did eventually get a fairly notable cold spell in late February/early March 2006 but the snow was nothing to write home about. One difference I'd say (you never get a winter like for like) between the two is the fact 2005-06 was a lot more anticyclonic and very dry a lot of the time.

https://twitter.com/griteater/status/1354114848024625152?s=20

The last what I would call real winter easterly I recall occurred in early Jan 2008. Only very briefly glanced us and didn't even bring overly cold temps, but I'll never forget the skies. They looked like something on another planet and not the usual diluted, bleached out, almost colourless wet looking blue white skies we get here in Ireland normally. It seemed almost alive and the feel of the air on the skin was electric. I've heard it said that 'what is rare is wonderful', but I disagree, I'd gladly take that weather all the time.

New Moon

mcburns07 wrote: »
    I would definitely never get sick of seeing the sun and blue skies most days though :)

Weather like New York would be ideal, they get tons of variety and enough of the extremes to keep things interesting but so much that you get fed up of them.

Well if you like changeable weather.... but I thought you didn't. I'd prefer snow or cold for 3/4 months, like the nordic countries rather than rain, snow, gloominess, snow, rain, frost. New York can be very uncomfortable in the Summer as well.

New York gets about 150% as much rain per year as Dublin and about the same number of rainy days ( 10 less if I am reading it correctly).

More sunny days though. Wouldn't go there for the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    The last what I would call real winter easterly I recall occurred in early Jan 2008. Only very briefly glanced us and didn't even bring overly cold temps, but I'll never forget the skies. They looked like something on another planet and not the usual diluted, bleached out, almost colourless wet looking blue white skies we get here in Ireland normally. It seemed almost alive and the feel of the air on the skin was electric. I've heard it said that 'what is rare is wonderful', but I disagree, I'd gladly take that weather all the time.

The closest recollection I have of such is late February 2018 before instability started occurring, the blue haze in the sky was amazing to witness and to be honest, that felt more special than the snow that followed. 25 February stands out in particular, not a cloud in the sky all day and that magnificent sky, felt like an entirely different world I was in.

I have no personal recollections of January 2008 although good thing I don't judging by old posts from the time but an epic sunrise on the 4th.

Froze were the days Deep Easterly! That easterly was sort of a precursor to the following winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Got about 2 inches from that easterly here in ashbourne off a streamer during the evening. So I got lucky. Think it was around 4th jan 08. EDIT looking at the archive it was jan 3rd. The Atlantic was back in the next day and the snow was gone by lunchtime as is often the case these days.

Billcarson wrote: »
    Got about 2 inches from that easterly here in ashbourne off a streamer during the evening. So I got lucky. Think it was around 4th jan 08. EDIT looking at the archive it was jan 3rd. The Atlantic was back in the next day and the snow was gone by lunchtime as is often the case these days.

I posted about that event yesterday just couldn't remember the exact date. We got about 6 inches from that here in Dunshaughlin, I think it started snowing around 6.30pm that evening and it was almost continuous till about 10.30pm and then the wind shifted us back into the IOM shadow and that was it. Atlantic was back the next day and snow melted very quickly that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Billcarson wrote: »

We got a fair dump of snow one morning (during that spell) as an Atlantic front moved though I don't recall it sticking around for long afterwards. 2008 was a good year for weather overall. Don't remember much of the winter after that but the following May was incredible with deep sun and thunder and then June with that mother of all storms on the 21st. ⚡⚡⚡

New Moon

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The closest recollection I have of such is late February 2018 before instability started occurring, the blue haze in the sky was amazing to witness and to be honest, that felt more special than the snow that followed. 25 February stands out in particular, not a cloud in the sky all day and that magnificent sky, felt like an entirely different world I was in.

I have no personal recollections of January 2008 although good thing I don't judging by old posts from the time but an epic sunrise on the 4th.

Froze were the days Deep Easterly! That easterly was sort of a precursor to the following winters.
    I remember the sky that day, I actually personally didn't like how it looked. I much prefer pure blue skies.

Advertisement