Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Thoughts on this weekend? Thread incoming?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Thoughts on this weekend? Thread incoming?

looks mostly rain. Uppers generally between +4 and -1C. Might be a little colder up north but not cold enough for snow there either except maybe on high ground.

GFSOPUK18_66_2.png

GFSOPUK18_96_2.png

63-574UK.GIF?27-18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Ecm looks better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

The models all seem to point to snow here on Saturday, if the front reaches here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Seem to be getting something here this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

New York does have an interesting climate. I was there a couple of years ago in July, was between 32-35 degrees every day the week I was there and even at night it was about 25 degrees. Very sunny but it is pretty humid and hot. I was also there in February one year and had loads of snow. They seem to get really seasonal weather.
    Well if you like changeable weather.... but I thought you didn't. I'd prefer snow or cold for 3/4 months, like the nordic countries rather than rain, snow, gloominess, snow, rain, frost. New York can be very uncomfortable in the Summer as well.

New York gets about 50% as much rain per year as Dublin and about the same number of rainy days ( 10 less if I am reading it correctly).

More sunny days though. Wouldn't go there for the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

13.6mm rain from yesterday, brings me to 101mm of rain for the month, i can only say that apart from those horrible cold dry and sunny days we had, what an enjoyable month it is has been

New York does have an interesting climate. I was there a couple of years ago in July, was between 32-35 degrees every day the week I was there and even at night it was about 25 degrees. Very sunny but it is pretty humid and hot. I was also there in February one year and had loads of snow. They seem to get really seasonal weather.

They get seasonal but changeable weather. A few days after a February snow snow where the temperature drops below zero, you can be in balmy 15 degrees. Then snow again. Nothing sticks very long. Anyway to most people living there the spring and the "fall" are the best seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I remember the sky that day, I actually personally didn't like how it looked. I much prefer pure blue skies.

We’ll majorly agree to disagree there :P albeit any clear blue sky will do me. Not quite the same due to natural summer haziness but I observed very blue skies in late June 2018 too with the very low humidity. Some of the best summer days those were I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A lot of rain in the next few days. A few places further south might get lucky later Saturday into Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

A lot of rain in the next few days. A few places further south might get lucky later Saturday into Sunday.

Yeah the met eireann app makes for wonderful viewing, rain Saturday, Sunday, Monday and to make it even better, Tuesday to, i cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sleet and then snow for a time seems possible over north Leinster, south Ulster for Saturday morning. Could bring a couple of cms for Louth, Meath, Dublin, Wicklow, Kildare, Cavan and Monaghan.

One to watch although still some cross model differences to be ironed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Yeah the met eireann app makes for wonderful viewing, rain Saturday, Sunday, Monday and to make it even better, Tuesday to, i cant wait

Still it’ll be cold so all good according to some. Desperate forecast all right.

Fairly heavy rain now. Floods will be back in the fields soon enough.
    And my snowman is nearly all gone:(

Still it’ll be cold so all good according to some. Desperate forecast all right.

I think most people like snow, and/or frost. Cold rain, not so much.

The weekend does look terrible alright. Last time I checked Saturday was looking good, now it is definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Fairly heavy rain now. Floods will be back in the fields soon enough.
    And my snowman is nearly all gone:(

Glad to see this rain has washed away what was left of that slush and ice that wa left behind on the pavements and roads.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Was just down at the seafront it's so still today and mild, and the tide was in, very glassy. Love days like this.
    Green areas around the seafront and in St Anne's Park is like a swamp in parts, the whole country must be like a wet sponge right now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

have to admit today's mild feels rather nice to walk in and comfortable without any rain falling. Make the most of the mild, there is not going to be much mild over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavy Rain in Kildare. Very soggy.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Make the most of the mild, there is not going to be much mild over the next few weeks.

I would be careful about making a statement like that. Things do look promising, but until we see these charts countdown, with little to no wavering, we could just as easily end up mild and wet. We've seen it happen all too often before

• Advertisement

I would be careful about making a statement like that. Things do look promising, but until we see these charts countdown, with little to no wavering, we could just as easily end up mild and wet. We've seen it happen all too often before

true, we will have a day or so of mild weather next week so it won't be cold throughout. Everything past the first week of February is up in the air still but i've a feeling it won't be too mild even if we don't get a properly cold spell. Today is very mild and we haven't had too many days this winter that have felt as mild as today unless it's been raining. The mild and dry up to an hour ago was very pleasant but now the rain has set in and it is no longer enjoyable mild!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »
    We’ll majorly agree to disagree there :P albeit any clear blue sky will do me. Not quite the same due to natural summer haziness but I observed very blue skies in late June 2018 too with the very low humidity. Some of the best summer days those were I have seen.

yes the end of June 2018 was the best spell of summer weather I remember here. it was breathtaking and as a person who doesn't enjoy heat, I thought the temperatures (26c I think) were very manageable thanks to the low humidity. I remember seeing a very nice view of Dublin Bay from just beside Foxrock Parish. unfortunately I went on holidays on the best day of that summer and was greeted by cloud, rain and cool weather! October 2018 also had some stunners, that was when I took what I consider to be the best photo I've ever taken! it would be nice to have 2018-style weather again...

There was a spell of weather in early June 2018 I recall that brought even nicer looking blue skies. Some of the morning's during that spell were unearthly looking. Solid blue yet was still possible to look up at the sky in the sun's direction and not hurt your eyes as there was a noticeable lack of that usual white glare in the brightest part of the sky that is common even in normal fine weather in this country. Don't know what caused something like that to happen, but it was a breathtaking rarity.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rbelmc

here's an update on what's happening in Sweden weatherwise at the moment as it might have an effect on the Irish weather before too long
    winter has taken a firm hold on the whole country and temperatures continue to drop each day
    expecting lows of around minus 15 overnight in the south over the coming days(down to minus 30 and more in the north) and the long term forecast here is for it to get colder and colder over the next 10 days at least
    virtually all the country has a good covering of snow and we have around 20cm where I live in Tiveden which is inland in the south
    up in the north snow depths are between 1 and 1.5m in many places
    it looks as if the Scandinavian high will start to push west early next week which might set up easterlies for Ireland
    if you are interested in the daily weather out here then SMHI is the national weather service and their website is excellent
    even if you don't speak Swedish you should be able to follow this as some of the words aren't too far from English
    https://www.smhi.se/vader/observationer/maxmin#ws=wpt-a,proxy=wpt-a
    then click on valj parameter
    looks like it's been a pretty good winter for snow lovers in Ireland so far(particularly if you live on higher ground)
    maybe Feb will bring even more widespread snow....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

rbelmc wrote: »
    here's an update on what's happening in Sweden weatherwise at the moment as it might have an effect on the Irish weather before too long
    winter has taken a firm hold on the whole country and temperatures continue to drop each day
    expecting lows of around minus 15 overnight in the south over the coming days(down to minus 30 and more in the north) and the long term forecast here is for it to get colder and colder over the next 10 days at least
    virtually all the country has a good covering of snow and we have around 20cm where I live in Tiveden which is inland in the south
    up in the north snow depths are between 1 and 1.5m in many places
    it looks as if the Scandinavian high will start to push west early next week which might set up easterlies for Ireland
    if you are interested in the daily weather out here then SMHI is the national weather service and their website is excellent
    even if you don't speak Swedish you should be able to follow this as some of the words aren't too far from English
    https://www.smhi.se/vader/observationer/maxmin#ws=wpt-a,proxy=wpt-a
    then click on valj parameter
    looks like it's been a pretty good winter for snow lovers in Ireland so far(particularly if you live on higher ground)
    maybe Feb will bring even more widespread snow....

Thanks for that informative post and the link to Swedish Met rbelmc. Enjoy the brutal cold and snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    There was a spell of weather in early June 2018 I recall that brought even nicer looking blue skies. Some of the morning's during that spell were unearthly looking. Solid blue yet was still possible to look up at the sky in the sun's direction and not hurt your eyes as there was a noticeable lack of that usual white glare in the brightest part of the sky that is common even in normal fine weather in this country. Don't know what caused something like that to happen, but it was a breathtaking rarity.

Could have sworn you hated that period, especially late May. I remember in late May last year you said that it reminded you of early June 2018 and you'd rather the April and early May weather would return due to the nights cooling down.

I recall you really liking the hazy skies of April 2019 too.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Could have sworn you hated that period, especially late May. I remember in late May last year you said that it reminded you of early June 2018 and you'd rather the April and early May weather would return due to the nights cooling down.

I recall you really liking the hazy skies of April 2019 too.

Oh don't get me wrong, I did, for the incessant hot and oddly high humidity for that time of year, but the phenomena I described there was more to do with the visual aspect of the sky, and having looked back on it, it can be narrowed down to the mornings of the 6th and 7th of that month. I particularly noticed it during the mornings because they are, to me, nicest part of the daylight hours anyway. Sunshine and daylight in general become very harsh are raw looking me to after about 1pm in both summer and winter (yes, even I'll admit that I view the world in complex ways!) A chart from the morning of the 7th of that month. Think we may have been under a brief Scandinavian air mass at the time:

66s6NnK.png

I don't know, but I haven't witnessed the likes of it since.

New Moon

cASu9ky.gif

December 20th 2010 in the aftermath of that (last proper) northerly that hit a couple of days earlier. You can see why more eastern and south parts depend more on easterly or northeasterly flows for their proper snow.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,415 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Beautiful night for a walk. Full moon, Orion high in the sky, not even that cold (relatively).

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

A very good EC46.

The next Met Eireann monthly update should be very interesting reading now:)

Advertisement