Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY Times

• 02-08-2020 9:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

what are peoples thoughts on acceptable times for carrying out DIY in their homes?

my neighbour in a semi detached feels its his god given right to do it at whatever times he feels suits him

consistently on the weekends on saturday & sunday mornings at 8:30

some weekends he has even started at 7:45

its drilling, banging etc

no point in bringing it up with him, tried the softly softly approach many years ago and was basically told to "f" off

even had the nerve to give me a rollicking when I was out the back garden one morning at 10am on a weekend morning doing a 2min sanding job

I see in the UK they have acts in certain boroughs like London that could get you fined up to £5000

anything here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    what are peoples thoughts on acceptable times for carrying out DIY in their homes?

my neighbour in a semi detached feels its his god given right to do it at whatever times he feels suits him

consistently on the weekends on saturday & sunday mornings at 8:30

some weekends he has even started at 7:45

its drilling, banging etc

no point in bringing it up with him, tried the softly softly approach many years ago and was basically told to "f" off

even had the nerve to give me a rollicking when I was out the back garden one morning at 10am on a weekend morning doing a 2min sanding job

I see in the UK they have acts in certain boroughs like London that could get you fined up to £5000

anything here?

Move . I moved from a 4 Bed Semi to a detached house om half an acre 15 years ago , The move added 40k to mortgage but well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I try not to use power tools outdoors on a Sunday but sometimes it's just not possible as I have jobs piling up, in which case I keep it to the afternoon and avoid anything which requires ear defenders.

On Saturday anything goes.

I live on an acre, moving out of suburbia does not exempt you from being considerate to neighbours, although obvs indoor DIY noise won't carry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

And just on cue someone has started up a wood chipper.

All bets are off, out with the circular saw!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

14:40 and its still going on

drilling, then the hammer, then the drill then the hammer with the odd bit of sawing

as soon as my lad heads out to work this evening for his night shift the hammer drill is coming out, I have a load of shelves that need putting up on the adjoining walls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭TimHorton

drilling, then the hammer, then the drill then the hammer with the odd bit of sawing

as soon as my lad heads out to work this evening for his night shift the hammer drill is coming out, I have a load of shelves that need putting up on the adjoining walls

Honestly move is the only answer. I grew up in a detached house in an urban area and could not hack semi d living , Houses here in the last 20 years were built to minimum standards to maximise profit , In my 4 bed semi where the ensuites toilets backed on to one another, I could hear neighbour having a dump!

• Advertisement

TimHorton wrote: »
    Honestly move is the only answer. I grew up in a detached house in an urban area and could not hack semi d living , Houses here in the last 20 years were built to minimum standards to maximise profit , In my 4 bed semi where the ensuites toilets backed on to one another, I could hear neighbour having a dump!

It’s not an option right now, looks like I’m going to be made redundant soon

Just wondering if there are any specific rules on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Dún Laoghaire/Rathdown county council have acceptable times as:
    Monday to Friday: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
    Saturdays: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
    Sundays & Bank Holidays: Works normally not permitted.
    But nothing in law to enforce them.
    https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/environment/environmental-health/noise-pollution#:~:text=Noise%20from%20Construction%20Works&text=Monday%20to%20Friday%3A%208%20a.m.,Holidays%3A%20Works%20normally%20not%20permitted.

It should be a matter of consideration for others and give and take so if your lad next door has neither why are you waiting for him to leave for his night shift before starting work. Can you postpone it until mid morning Tues or Wed when he's trying to rest from his night shift

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

It's the weekend , time to unwind, you laze away in the garden getting a bit of sun and appreciating the shrubs and what not , then some fecker that can't stand still goes at it with a Strimmer....as soon as the Strimmer stops some other gobs**te starts decking his back garden because he just can't read a book and nobody really wants to talk to him. On and on it goes...paving, decking, sunroom, you name it...the fupping bastards. They should be brought back in and shot, only you'd miss em as they can't stand still!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

It's a tricky one alright; I live in a suburban area and I use power tools myself but I am cognisant of the nuisance noise they create so for me the rules are simple- no noise outdoors before 9am on Saturdays, and no noise after 6pm (generally), otherwise I use the tools inside my shed which contains the worst of it. That said a man moved into a house at the back of mine five years ago and it's been non stop noise from him since- a 5 year building project that doesn't respect Sundays or evenings ( I believe he's separated from the missus and moved back into town from the country so that might explain something!). Then there's the neighbour down the road who runs some sort of food business from his house, spends a Saturday afternoon powerwashing the inside and outrside of his vans, takes about 2- 3 hours. The lads that use power washers are never to be seen using a shovel or a brush- tis not real work! Noise pollution is a curse.

fuppin hell, he's still at it, drilling every couple min

you think he's finished and he starts up again

he's gonna get it tonight at 11pm with my hammer

• Advertisement

sob carried on until 9pm last night and is hard at it again today

I think me & the missus are gonna head off for a few days and let the older lad here with carte blanche to play his music as loud as he wants at any time

couple of ways to skin a cat

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

These are my allowed times for noisy DIY work:
    Mon-Fri: 8am to 7pm
    Sat: 10am to 5pm
    Sunday and public holidays: no noisy DIY work.

I don't know what the legal situation is in Ireland but it sounds like your neighbour would just ignore the rules anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Tradesman myself and I'm often in the go some days at 6am and might not finish until 11pm depending on the job. I don't consider myself to be an A hole and do not start making noise if I think others are in residential premise beside me before normal business hours Monday to Saturday afternoon. Money has to be made but I just don't need the hassle and when it comes to DIY then you certainly shouldn't have to piss off the neighbours.

Retired builder living next door to me now, all his kids have moved out. My youngest is two years old, head to the bed for 7.30 at the latest so of course the gob sh#te next door decides to lash on a mixer to plaster a wall at 8pm...had words. Two weeks later he gets out the lawnmower well after 8..words were had. Around the start of April he decides to fell a tree in his yard at 8.45 pm. Scared the sh#te out of two sleeping kids and probably countless others living on the same quiet estate road. Went in, he shut the saw off when he saw me coming. I picked it up off the ground and brought it home. I had no choice but to act like a pr*ck and take it but he got it back the next Monday morning. Chat was had yet again and all had been calm since but it should never have gone that far.

Advertisement