Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being skinny

• 02-08-2020 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

I figured this needed a thread as I am sure I am not alone. Male, late 20s and cannot put on any mass. Friends and colleagues say it must be wonderful to eat so much and not put on weight. Strangers ask am I eating enough. I lift weights 4 times weekly and have had 3 different personal trainers over the last 6 years. On paper, you would think I am a big gym guy due to my diet and exercise programme. I've thrown a lot of money at protein supplements, gym memberships, healthy foods etc. Then I see guys who have thrown the same amount of cash at cigarettes, alcohol, junk food etc. and look in better shape.

I hate warm weather because I dread wearing a t-shirt in public due to my skinny arms. The latest development is a growing belly, which is not a good look for a skinny guy.

Has anyone else this issue or been here before? Would love some pointers or tips that might help me realise something I am not doing because I have exhausted all avenues at this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,646 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Do you track the calories in what you eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Fuzzyduzzy

Do you track the calories in what you eat?

I do as best I can but the trainers who give me the fitness programme are not qualified nutritionists, so this could be where the problem lies. Can you recommend a nutritionist, book or app I could look up? I find that stuff very confusing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭bladespin

Fuzzyduzzy wrote: »
    I do as best I can but the trainers who give me the fitness programme are not qualified nutritionists, so this could be where the problem lies. Can you recommend a nutritionist, book or app I could look up? I find that stuff very confusing

MyFitnessPal is a good start.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Anita Bean, complete guide to sports nutrition is very good book

MyFitnessPal will help you quantify your calorie intake.

You don't need a nutritionist. You just need more calories because if you're not getting bigger, you're not eating enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Patsy167

https://ss.fitness/calculators

Above calculators could be a good starting point for figuring out what intake needs to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

At least 90% of the time, when people complain about this they are not eating enough.
    And 100% of the time, they said "I eats loads/diet is perfect/etc"

It's nothing to do with trainers or nutritionists unless that are following you 24/7 prepping you food. Only you know what you eat. If it not enough you won't gain weight.

What do you eat in a typical day? List everything.

What is your weekly training routine like

Being completely simplistic:

Train with progressive overload.
    Eat enough calories and protein.
    Get plenty of sleep.
    Done.

MyFitnessPal will help you quantify your calorie intake.

You don't need a nutritionist. You just need more calories because if you're not getting bigger, you're not eating enough.

A growing belly would suggest a calorie surplus, so it might not be the only issue.

Basil3 wrote: »
    A growing belly would suggest a calorie surplus, so it might not be the only issue.

Not necessarily. Could be bloating.

One could assume the training is less of an issue if it's based on a number of PTs (even bad ones using cookie cutter programmes would address some level of overload).

I would still venture that in the vast majority or cases, not enough calories to support putting on any appreciable level of muscle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Basil3 wrote: »

Training 4 times a week and eating at or below maintenance.
    Sudden have to stop training due to covid. Energy output drops.
    Sitting around the house, eating/drinking more rubbish. Energy in increases.

Could easily add belly that way tbh.

Advertisement