Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Sinn Féin anti-Catholic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Big difference between SF North and South, their northern base wouldn't tolerate the uber PC WOKE agenda, much more socially conservative

The strategy this past number of years south of the border is that of Eoin o Broin ,he wants to court the middle class and feels cultural issues are the best way to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,425 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Big difference between SF North and South, their northern base wouldn't tolerate the uber PC WOKE agenda, much more socially conservative

The strategy this past number of years south of the border is that of Eoin o Broin ,he wants to court the middle class and feels cultural issues are the best way to do it

And where are you getting these facts about the intentions of the northern voter in regards to PC WOKE politics. I imagine the northern voter is quite understanding of BLM as their own civil rights movement was inspired by the black movement in the USA

breezy1985 wrote: »
    And where are you getting these facts about the intentions of the northern voter in regards to PC WOKE politics. I imagine the northern voter is quite understanding of BLM as their own civil rights movement was inspired by the black movement in the USA

I didn't mention "BLM" in my post

SF have a much broader vote up north and people in Northern Ireland are more socially conservative anyway, hence the different strategy employed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The northern civil rights movement was about Catholics being discriminated against in elections, housing, etc.

I can't recall any riots over drug addled burglars?

It had connections with the actual black civil rights movement which has nothing whatsever to do with BLM/antifa and looters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

maccored wrote: »
    as casually as such things seems to be trudged out by some anytime SF is mentioned, yet claims of murder are casually ignored when asked to back it up.

More whataboutery here btw. I asked for truthvader to tell me when SF murdered people and he/she waffles on about something else. now you are getting offended and trying to make something out of what wasnt said.

Im not Truthvader so not sure why you are making reference to that.

You posted this:

not communism. SF grew in a society were people were being treated like ****, and as a party they developed to help people in whatever way they could in their limited ability.

Do you believe thisis correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Im not Truthvader so not sure why you are making reference to that.

You posted this:

Do you believe thisis correct?

that was how we viewed them growing up - plus they did help out quite a few times when the RUC were more interested in seeing me get beaten to a pulp so yes, I do believe that to be correct otherwise I wouldnt have typed those words.

You were referencing truthvaders reply to what I posted - not to that post btw. hence why the mention. Whats your point exactly - or do you have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,074 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I wasn't referring really to the review of the book, rather the book itself (review was first thing I could find)

The book gives a long account of Christianity in Ireland, the explanation and account of how and why the Catholic church became so popular (when in decline in other countries) is very interesting and I think reading it would add to your understanding of this area.

Yes I asked you about points in the book, not in the review - you haven't provided any. This is worse than someone saying "watch the video" - "but it's two hours long, what in the video is relevant?" - "just watch the video".

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Whatever about this derogatory "woke" term people come out with, social conservatives do not support abortion rights - which SF came out in favour of up north. Where is their northern base going to go? The DUP?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd always thought of SF as a party for the working class up North and the SDLP would have attracted the more middle class vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Yes I asked you about points in the book, not in the review - you haven't provided any. This is worse than someone saying "watch the video" - "but it's two hours long, what in the video is relevant?" - "just watch the video".

My previous posts about the position of the Catholic Church in the years after the famine and how and why it had such influence and power are somewhat based on the book, particularly chapters 7 and 8. The authors conclusions differ significantly from yours (and from mine in a number of areas).

The thrust of the book and in particular those chapters run contrary (in most aspects) to your account of the Catholic Church forcing itself upon the people and spreading it's tentacles forcibly and seizing power over a hapless population. Much of this impetus came from the people themselves and was fervently supported by them.
    Of course, just because it was supported by the people doesnt mean it was good, that comes down to opinion.

I was trying to reccomend a good, recent book about what we were talking about, I found it very informing, even if I didn't like or agree with everything written in it.

I wasn't having a go, sorry if it seemed that way.

• Advertisement

Whatever about this derogatory "woke" term people come out with, social conservatives do not support abortion rights - which SF came out in favour of up north. Where is their northern base going to go? The DUP?

People in the North vote on the national question first and foremost so No ,their base won't defect to the DUP

The party is still more centrist up north however

Thanks for expanding on that.

There is the issue though that the people demanding more power and influence for the RCC had been brought up from birth to believe that catholicism equated with Irishness and with all that was right. There was a reason Edmund Rice set up expensive schools for the merchant classes as well as more austere ones for the poor - to build a catholic middle class that would do the church's bidding and fund its expansion. The character of the Irish RCC changed too, from pre-famine celtic influences towards clericalism and ultramontanism.

The irony (certainly from the British point of view) is that once we got catholic emancipation and land reform, we moved on from (as Britain hoped) being satisfied with those within a weak Home Rule framework, to demands for independent dominion status or a fully independent republic. It's said that the most dangerous time for an oppressive regime is when they start to make concessions.

that was how we viewed them growing up - plus they did help out quite a few times when the RUC were more interested in seeing me get beaten to a pulp so yes, I do believe that to be correct otherwise I wouldnt have typed those words.

You were referencing truthvaders reply to what I posted - not to that post btw. hence why the mention. Whats your point exactly - or do you have one?

I didnt reference anything about Truthvader.

So you think raping women and children is not treating people like s**t?

Do you think taking a mother of 10 children, shooting in back of head and leaving on a beach was "helping people"? and all the other he ordered to disappear.

Also while Gerry was protecting child molester the likes of Mary Lou etc where all in the party and done zero to stop him. Not one of them stepped up. So they are all guilty of protecting a child molester and trying to silence a victim.

I didnt reference anything about Truthvader.

So you think raping women and children is not treating people like s**t?

Do you think taking a mother of 10 children, shooting in back of head and leaving on a beach was "helping people"? and all the other he ordered to disappear.

Also while Gerry was protecting child molester the likes of Mary Lou etc where all in the party and done zero to stop him. Not one of them stepped up. So they are all guilty of protecting a child molester and trying to silence a victim.

when did i mention raping children? WTF are you talking about?

Google it. Let see if you want to repeat the below after you read up.

a party they developed to help people in whatever way they could in their limited ability.

Previously you tried to pass it off as "the usual". Not you don't understand. So which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Best ignored, tbh.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Best ignored, tbh.

Its both amusing and disturbing to watch someone slowly depart reality and disappear down rabbit hole of conspiracy theories and increasingly foam at mouth about em

Kinda car crash stuff......but serious lolcow stuff :D

I didn't mention "BLM" in my post

SF have a much broader vote up north and people in Northern Ireland are more socially conservative anyway, hence the different strategy employed

Again show me where you get these facts about SF voters up north?
    Which PC WOKE policies were you referring to earlier that people up north dont like?

Previously you tried to pass it off as "the usual". Not you don't understand. So which is it?

what has "a party they developed to help people in whatever way they could in their limited ability" got to do with raping children?

Are you mad? I passed off Truthvader's reply as being 'the usual'. You know - remember the poster you claimed had nothing to do with this conversation? I replied to that poster then you butt in and start on about child rape. thats a bit sick. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Its both amusing and disturbing to watch someone slowly depart reality and disappear down rabbit hole of conspiracy theories and increasingly foam at mouth about em

Kinda car crash stuff......but serious lolcow stuff :D

its weirdo stuff if you ask me.

• Advertisement

google what? "when did i mention raping children?" I think you should go to bed and get some sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Again show me where you get these facts about SF voters up north?
    Which PC WOKE policies were you referring to earlier that people up north dont like?

"PC woke"
    FFS what ****e are you spouting more than usual?

splinter65 wrote: »
    Children of all religious beliefs and none are welcome in every school in Ireland. Did you not know that?

But some are more welcome than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

as casually as such things seems to be trudged out by some anytime SF is mentioned, yet claims of murder are casually ignored when asked to back it up.

More whataboutery here btw. I asked for truthvader to tell me when SF murdered people and he/she waffles on about something else. now you are getting offended and trying to make something out of what wasnt said.

Again. Not true. I pointed out that Sinn Fein IRA are one and the same and provided evidence that this is also the view of the Garda Commissioner.

Up to the the installation of Mary Lou as a grotesque glove puppet Sinn Fein was openly run by Adams and McGuiness who personally directed the campaign of murder for 30 years. As per the confirmation from the Garda Commissioner the real controllers of Sinn Fein are now less visible. The truth of this position is of course further evidenced by the Sinn Fein posters here and their twisting justifications for the endless list of atrocities carried out by their leaders

That is why I believe Sinn Fein are complicit in the murder and maiming of men women and children. On a brighter note the Commissioner does say that the organisation is now peaceful.

what has "a party they developed to help people in whatever way they could in their limited ability" got to do with raping children?

Are you mad? I passed off Truthvader's reply as being 'the usual'. You know - remember the poster you claimed had nothing to do with this conversation? I replied to that poster then you butt in and start on about child rape. thats a bit sick. You should be ashamed of yourself.

You are obsessed with Truthvader. You quoted my post and passed my comment off as "the usual". I have zero reference to Truthvader or never made any reference to him/her.

As usual start with the personal insults.

Are you incapable of following the conversation? You said SF tried to help people. In fact SF covered up rape and child abuse. When people tried to go to press they tried to put a gagging order. Are you denying that happened?

Edgware wrote: »
    "PC woke"
    FFS what ****e are you spouting more than usual?

Those were the words used by the poster I was replying too

You are obsessed with Truthvader. You quoted my post and passed my comment off as "the usual". I have zero reference to Truthvader or never made any reference to him/her.

As usual start with the personal insults.

Are you incapable of following the conversation? You said SF tried to help people. In fact SF covered up rape and child abuse. When people tried to go to press they tried to put a gagging order. Are you denying that happened?

ah - my genuine apologies then as I had been answering a different post - quoted yours by accident. Seriously - sorry about that

Its both amusing and disturbing to watch someone slowly depart reality and disappear down rabbit hole of conspiracy theories

Gerry Adams' brother is a convicted child rapist, fact.

Gerry while leader of SF protected him, fact.

Feck help us if SF ever get in charge of the Department of Education, first act will be to burn all the history books and then literally rewrite history

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Gerry Adams' brother is a convicted child rapist, fact.

Gerry while leader of SF protected him, fact.

Feck help us if SF ever get in charge of the Department of Education, first act will be to burn all the history books and then literally rewrite history

You can swap Michael Noonan for Adam's and friend for brother and run the same story, I can throw in a few other TDs from other parties who did the same.They all did wrong but for you Adam's seems worse than Noonans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

What is Noonan being accused of and by who?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement