Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passive PCI-E Graphics Card

Options
  • 02-08-2020 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭

Am looking for a new passive PCI-E Graphics Card compatible with Windows 10 v2004.

Must have the following ports,

(1) DVI-I, (1) HDMI, (1) VGA ports.

Required for general use (no gaming) so don't want anything requiring extra power connectors.

Proving difficult to source.

Any recommendations?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its a hard task because most non-gaming uses are covered in the vast majority of cases by the onboard GPU in most systems or are in systems where additional cooling is not of any concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Its a hard task because most non-gaming uses are covered in the vast majority of cases by the onboard GPU in most systems or are in systems where additional cooling is not of any concern.

I saw one on the net but it had a DVI-D & I'm after a DVI-I

The reason I'm after one is to run 2 monitors for general use.

Am I correct in saying the onboard is automatically disabled when you install a PCI-E card?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I have a passive card with HDMI VGA and DVI-D dual link it is an old card R5 230.

I have a passive card with HDMI VGA and DVI-D dual link it is an old card R5 230.

I need one with DVI-I not D & it needs to have drivers for the latest ver of Win 10

It does work with latest version of Windows 10. Tbh with you you will be looking at really old cards to have support for DVI-I.

• Advertisement

It does work with latest version of Windows 10. Tbh with you you will be looking at really old cards to have support for DVI-I.

Yep, I know, but I'm not looking for anything demanding, it will only be used with dual monitors for general work. If I can find a new old card it will do the job.

Will Prob have to run with a 2nd hand one If there are any out there that have Win 10 drivers available.

I'm using a 4 port Dual Monitor KVM & it has D-Sub & DVI-I. The four systems with dual monitors all have monitors with D-Sub & DVI-I. 3 of the machines have working G-Cards with both DVI-I & D-Sub so I'm looking for one more card for the 4th machine.

What cards are they? Just google the cards you have to get another. It will be second hand anyway as you will not buy a new card with support for DVI-I. That has gone away for many years.

What cards are they? Just google the cards you have to get another. It will be second hand anyway as you will not buy a new card with support for DVI-I. That has gone away for many years.

I'll check the cards as I'm not 100% sure what's in the 3 working machines & am not able to get to them until Tue. But I will do that, I'm just hoping I can find one new, old stock maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

free_man wrote: »
    I don't see the reason to use DVI-I unless you have both monitors which support VGA only.

He said:
    I'm using a 4 port Dual Monitor KVM & it has D-Sub & DVI-I.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I saw one on the net but it had a DVI-D & I'm after a DVI-I

The reason I'm after one is to run 2 monitors for general use.

Am I correct in saying the onboard is automatically disabled when you install a PCI-E card?

No, you can use them side by side to drive more screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

My bad. I didnt read the post properly.

Am looking for a new passive PCI-E Graphics Card compatible with Windows 10 v2004.

Must have the following ports,

(1) DVI-I, (1) HDMI, (1) VGA ports.

Required for general use (no gaming) so don't want anything requiring extra power connectors.

Proving difficult to source.

Any recommendations?

Any modern GPU will operate in passive mode when outside of 3d rendering. I have verified that personally with rx570 and rx580. I was also able to tune a r9 270x to do the same, although it wasn't out of the box. But those require extra power, albeit not used if not gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Whats your current setup?

Seems like it could just be cheaper to buy a 100 quid 24 inch screen, VGA is becoming scarce in general.

Whats your current setup?

Seems like it could just be cheaper to buy a 100 quid 24 inch screen, VGA is becoming scarce in general.

Not that straight forward.

It is 4 machines going through a dual monitor KVM switch with VGA & DVI-I connections & cables. The cards in the machines all have VGA & DVI-I connectors too.

One replacement card will sort it & I think I may have one lined up now, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

First that come to mind would be GT630, GT640 type cards from Nvidia....or HD5450 or HD6450 on the AMD side.

All still relatively common and can be found 2nd hand for cheap, I've seen the HD6450 literally sell for €10. Might be harder to find a passive model specifically.

Example here - HD6450 with DVI-I, HDMI + VGA I believe, and passive for €30 delivered.

I've read that the AMD cards have trouble with Windows 10.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

That's why I mentioned the Win 10 latest update May 2020 v2004 in my OP.

It's easliy overlooked when trying to find a card with a few prerequisites but it is becoming more important as window evolves.

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    No, you can use them side by side to drive more screens.

How doest that work?

You can have one monitor connected to a PCI-E card & another to the on-board graphics port?

How do you enable the on-board, I see no reference to it on this machine in the device manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

How doest that work?

You can have one monitor connected to a PCI-E card & another to the on-board graphics port?

How do you enable the on-board, I see no reference to it on this machine in the device manager.

I might be wrong, but I don't think one OS can use two discrete GPUs at the same time. The only way I've seen them used at the same time was with Virtual Machines, where the host system can use one GPU and a guest system can use another. Maybe he knows something we don't?

I have various and cards for last 12 years or so...

As I said earlier in this thread I have a R5 230 passive that works with latest version of Windows 10.

Yes the driver is old but it still works as it is not a gaming card so doesn't need new drivers to run new games. Browsing and watching videos it is fine.

How doest that work?

Yes, exactly like that. You need to enable the onboard in Bios/uefi, it gets automatically disabled when dGpu is detected. But once it is force enabled, you can connect screens to either of them and have big virtual desktop.

grogi wrote: »
    I have various and cards for last 12 years or so...
    As I said earlier in this thread I have a R5 230 passive that works with latest version of Windows 10.

Yes the driver is old but it still works as it is not a gaming card so doesn't need new drivers to run new games. Browsing and watching videos it is fine.

Specifically talking of the HD5000/HD6000 series (from various forum threads I saw while Googling).

Anyway GT630 or EVGA GT710 Dual DVI is best bet for a GPU with 2x analog outputs.

Specifically talking of the HD5000/HD6000 series (from various forum threads I saw while Googling).

Anyway GT630 or EVGA GT710 Dual DVI is best bet for a GPU with 2x analog outputs.

Where are you seeing the EVGA GT710 Dual DVI? Any I've seen have one DVI-D & DVI-D is not analog.

Where are you seeing the EVGA GT710 Dual DVI? Any I've seen have one DVI-D & DVI-D is not analog.
    I mixed them up, the Dual DVI has following ports:
    DVI-I, DVI-D, Mini-HDMI
    https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=02G-P3-2717-KR

My 4am brain thought it had VGA instead of mini-HDMI :rolleyes:

Update: Resolved (For now at least)

Got access to the PC’s first thing this morning.

All had older Nvidia Gforce 210 cards (which have a Win 10 64bit driver available) & all were working fine bar one.

Here’s what actually happened.

As most of you will be aware, Microsoft have put a hold on updating many machines to the latest May 2020 V2004 update because of known issues with compatibility for certain devices.

The owner got fed up checking the normal update section within Windows & not seeing the new feature update, he decided to use the Microsoft download tool to get the May 2020 v2004 OS and installed it on the machine the I thought had a bad GPU.

The result was that this machine was blue screening all over the place.

The 3 other machines, all with v1909 OS were all working fine.

I reinstalled windows 10 v1909 on the problematic machine and re-installed the Nvidia driver v342.01 & all is working fine again.

So it looks like the OS upgrade screwed with the graphic card driver.

On further investigation on the Microsoft known issues doc I discovered the following.

It looks like the issue is being rectified and a fix is due mid month (see below).

Issue with older drivers for Nvidia display adapters (GPU).

You might have issues if you are using an Nvidia display adapter (GPU) and drivers with a version below 358.00.

Issue with older drivers for Nvidia display adapters (GPU)

Nvidia and Microsoft have found incompatibility issues with certain versions of Nvidia display adapter drivers and Windows 10, version 2004 (the Windows 10 May 2020 Update). Windows 10 devices with affected Nvidia display driver versions might receive a stop error with a blue screen or other issues during or after installing the update to Windows 10, version 2004. The affected drivers are any version lower than 358.00.

To safeguard your update experience, we have applied a compatibility hold on Windows 10 devices with affected Nvidia display drivers drivers installed from being offered Windows 10, version 2004 or Windows Server, version 2004 until the driver has been updated.

Affected platforms:

• Client: Windows 10, version 2004
    • Server: Windows Server, version 2004

Workaround: To mitigate this issue, you will need to check with your device manufacturer (OEM) to see if an updated driver is available and install it.

Next steps: Microsoft is working on a resolution and estimate a solution will be available in mid-August.

Note We recommend that you do not attempt to manually update using the Update now button or the Media Creation Tool until the safeguard is removed.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Please please can you share what the user is doing that this setup isnt a farcical idea?

Like if you need a Mac+Windowze maybe, but 4x windows boxes and nothing graphical? RDP..........

Advertisement