Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on double payment taken on credit card while abroad

Options
  • 02-08-2020 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm currently abroad and I paid for a bill by accident twice it seems.
    I've contacted the company who took the payment and they admitted the payment wastwas twice but are really trying to get away without refunding me. 
    Do I have any course of action available to me as they don't seem to be looking to repay me.
    Can the second transaction be cancelled by BOI/credit card company?

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Hi maldini,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here today.

We are very sorry to hear that this has been your experience. If the merchant has taken the payment twice from your account we would recommend that you make every effort to resolve this directly with the merchant so that they can apply the refund to your account. We hope this helps and that you remain safe and well during this time.

Thanks Jen

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭maldini

Well that's me told ðŸ˜. I realise that. I've tried that. My question was about any avenues open to me via the credit card company should the company still refuse to refund me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭abff

For what it's worth, I had a similar problem with my BOI credit card a number of years ago.  I had several emails back and forth in which the merchant admitted that the payment had been taken twice in error and kept on promising to refund the second amount, but failed to do so repeatedly.  Eventually, BOI agreed to refund the overpayment to my card, but I had to send a hard copy of all the correspondence to their office in Cabinteely and it took another few weeks after that to get my refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

maldini wrote: »
    Well that's me told ðŸ˜. I realise that. I've tried that. My question was about any avenues open to me via the credit card company should the company still refuse to refund me?
    Thanks for getting back to us here maldini. 

If the merchant have not been co operative in refunding this to you, you can submit a chargeback request. To do this you must complete a transaction dispute form which you will find here

This must be printed, signed and returned by post to our chargeback department along with all supporting documentation including receipts, emails and any correspondence that will show that you have tried to resolve this directly with the merchant. 

We hope this helps. 

Thanks Jen

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭maldini

Thanks Jen, thanks abff !

• Advertisement
Advertisement