Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you end up on boards

• 02-08-2020 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not on any other social media platform (watsapp don't count) only boards.
    I was studying Irish heritage & folklore and need a discussion group (which I haven't bothered my bollix looking for since we all found covid, jaysus that sounds like a religion). Anyway thats how I ended up on boards, with some of you losers, tossers, comedians, genuises, oh and deviants, oh and almost forgot dictators.
    Afterthought I don't know if this was done before and truthfully I don't really care.

But what divine path of wisdom or penance drove you to boards

Comments

Kylta wrote: »
    I'm not on any other social media platform (watsapp don't count) only boards.
    I was studying Irish heritage & folklore and need a discussion group (which I haven't bothered my bollix looking for since we all found covid, jaysus that sounds like a religion). Anyway thats how I ended up on boards, with some of you losers, tossers, comedians, genuises, oh and deviants, oh and almost forgot dictators.
    Afterthought I don't know if this was done before and truthfully I don't really care.

The unceasing search for enlightenment and an understanding of the meaning of life itself, once I’d realised the answer wasn’t 42

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Leaving cert forum a long time ago now

Wanted to know something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Part of my probation terms .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Accidentally

Ireland offline

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Back in the day it wasn't about social media, but wantimg to find information about topics and discuss it with other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

After consulting with my neurosurgeon, we both thought it might be therapeutic to participate on Boards immediately following my lobotomy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Stumbled across it while searching the web for some car problem I had. I spent hours on the motor's forum that evening and joined shortly afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Kylta wrote: »

Just look at the join date ..Bebo wasn't quite my scene :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

It forms an important part of my research.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Interesting question, initially to get advice on a vintage car I had in storage. I wouldn't consider Boards social media though although some bizzare threads to be found, the Chicken one that appeared today (search yourselves) is, well? I'll leave it that.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Trying to find like minded musicians to jam with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I was board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Years ago when listening to the news boards was often mentioned as a source for polls. Cant remember what they spoke about but one day I decided to check boards out. Lurked for a few years before creating my first account which was around 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

No body else would have me.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I joined to give out about immigration and stayed for the traveller-bashing threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Just came on here to find something out. No idea what it was or when.

Welcome to the Hotel California.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

joined back on 2002 ish was on for a few years and then left my job in Dell and was working from home with only dodgy dial up so didnt go online much. couldnt remember my username when I next went on Boards so started again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Was a reader of threads for years and years.

Then was unemployed at the end of 2014 and got board applying for jobs everyday so finally signed up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Interesting question, initially to get advice on a vintage car I had in storage. I wouldn't consider Boards social media though although some bizzare threads to be found, the Chicken one that appeared today (search yourselves) is, well? I'll leave it that.

I found the chicken thread to absolutely hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Used post on an old site called Dangerhere, that got hacked and went to the big server in the sky BEFORE the cloud came along.

This place was constantly getting slagged on there so I’d heard of the name, and when Dangerhere was shut down I came over

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Joined for the LGBT forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I wanted to know how people liked their steak cooked!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85729981

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I wanted to know how people liked their steak cooked!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85729981

Boardsie I mean bloody, I mean medium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Originally, I posted in a DIY forum looking for some help with a plumbing alteration I was doing. No one answered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I was in an IT course with a load of Dublin yokes in 2009. They all used it. I'd never heard of it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Saw an advert for it on a dating site if I remember correctly, never heard of it before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

11 years ago now, I seem to remember that I googled something, God knows what now, and it came up as a topic on a thread on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

mustard forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

a member of my family told me about boards (who is still on boards), I decided to take a look for myself in 2010 and signed up. My first post was looking for a number of a taxi :o

Came here to ask a question about a Leaving Cert history project, started trolling a Richard Dawkins fan thread, and never looked back.

Was looking something up, and found the site. Later I realised that a person could read threads and such without creating an account. I thought that's not bad, and a while later I joined up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

P45 (alternative forum) was down.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

touts wrote: »
    Just came on here to find something out. No idea what it was or when.

Welcome to the Hotel California.

+1

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

There I was, posting on the Quake forums, when they went and renamed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Came here to ask a question about a Leaving Cert history project, started trolling a Richard Dawkins fan thread, and never looked back.

Same story bro. 2008. I was a friendless loser after the LC. So, I used to spend my time trawling boards getting involved in basic Atheist vs Christianity arguments on the respective forums. I remember one Christmas making a thread to wish the Atheists a special happy christmas as if I was ****ing Benjamin Netanyahu extending an olive branch to hamas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I found it accidentally while searching to find out who the fcuk Pat Patterson was when I was in UCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I have no idea what brought me here and I really don't know why I'm still here.

No, no, no seriously...

I'm sure it was something to do with music back in about 2008. I don't remember where I heard about the site first, but I remember it was like a breath of fresh air compared to other message boards. Great variety, there was even a busy forum all about my local town and an Irish feel to the place that set it apart from other parts of the Internet.

Back when no-one had a job and the age profile was about ten years younger.

I used to post in the films forum, the soccer forum etc. I was here for ages before I made the fateful decision to look at AH.

Same story bro. 2008. I was a friendless loser after the LC. So, I used to spend my time trawling boards getting involved in basic Atheist vs Christianity arguments on the respective forums. I remember one Christmas making a thread to wish the Atheists a special happy christmas as if I was ****ing Benjamin Netanyahu extending an olive branch to hamas
    Genuinely Lol'd.

There was a really weird period there from 2004 to later in the decade when these "New Atheists" were at their height. These forums thrived on it. I think I became a born-again christian for about six months, just in spite of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Most likely was looking for help.

I watch the gangster thread, its terrifying

Mainly, I post to get advice, and there's always good help to be had in Motors; Plumbing; and Electrical Forums (Fora??)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Xbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Wanted to find some Irish gamers, my own circle of friends weren't into games at all so had no one to discuss gaming, i enjoyed reading irish people talk about online games.
    Felt online gaming was taboo in Ireland, no one talked about it face to face. Amazing how much it's changed.
    I lurked for a good year or 2 before registering so this was a good 20 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Fado fado fado... I vaguely remember boards was more about gaming/net Soc’s at one stage - could be mistaken though it’s ahem.... been a while since I initially joined, I studied IT in college and most of my course was on boards.. we’d spend the day chatting on it, more often that not sitting beside each other most times..
    I seemed to have lost a few of my posts over the years? Not 100%, always fly in and out, but fell away when I had kids and fly back then when I’ve time on my hands.

Funny now when I see some of the long standing mods... and there’s me with my pipe and my slippers remembering them as newbies acting the maggot themselves in after hours... oh they grow up so fast :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I ended up on nights with only one other colleague in the office who was significantly older than me. We had nothing in common. Zilch. He wasn’t into sport, music, cinema, traveling or really anything I was so, any communication was work related. It was not a busy shift... the work was piss easy but the shift dragged... when there wasn’t work he’d be playing chess competitions online, literally the phone would ring and he’d let it, wouldn’t answer it but everyone got used to his eccentricities so he was accepted “ahh sure you know what Nigel is like, just leave him at it” . So boards was a sort of savior on that shift, I got lost browsing mostly and the odd post..

I’d signed up to boards in the late 2001 I think and ended up forgetting my password or username I’d hardly used it so rejoined as Strumms in 2006...kept me busy, entertained during the long nights with Nigel, and sane during a rather prolonged hospital stay (months)... beeen a boredom killer in all sorts of situations like airports, work, travel in general and now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I found it accidentally while searching to find out who the fcuk Pat Patterson was when I was in UCD.

Was this guy real.i used to see the Abuse scrawled on the walls of the toilets and I always wondered if it was just a wind up.

How I ended back on the @#£;&* of boards...

YouTube was ok up to 2017. Used to vlog a good bit.
    Now you need to sell t shirts and coffee mugs to be promoted by the YouTube algorithm.

I ran my own personal website and posted my opinions there .

But millennials and younger don't visit personal websites, they follow the herd.

So..adapt my attitude..if ye can beat em.....

The thing about Boards is that nobody cares about anyone else’s opinion anyway, only in hammering home their own. So it’s pointless for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I'm pretty sure it had something to do with guitars, or vidja games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

By pure chance. I was looking up something online and saw a thread on boards. I decided to join it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement