Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I find the Myenergi app useless. Little yellow triangles most of the time.

How crap are Solis that they can't fix this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

Use the Solarman (v1.6.6) app instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

+1 for Solis to fix this...

You can use the Solis Cloud app to run a "plant Report" and get the "Annual Yield(kWh)" figure plus a bunch of other data. That can be exported to excel but its not a shiny nice to look at graph. I am tempted to open a ticket for this...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

True, but the Grid import/export is what I was referring to. BTW with an AC coupled battery inverter the MyEnergi app can separate out PV and Battery usage, just an extra CT clamp on the live wire of the battery inverter, I have it up and running a while now

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

Fair enough, yes MyEnergi works great with AC coupled but its a pity they don't handle Hybrid better, even if they just had a running total say you loadshift 10kWh into battery then the value = 10, as you use either battery/PV that value decreases, once it hits negative values that become generation. (they could allow for a conversion loss -- eg 10% so you put in 10 but that gets recorded as only 9 actually stored in bat/PV system. Its still not perfect but better than how their system works with hybrid at the moment

• Advertisement

Seems that I can drag the data out by going a bit deeper into the inverter info and setting the parameters. Bit of a nuisance though.

I've never found Solarman to be any different from the Home app. Plus it has the same issue as Home, won't work with the new model datalogger.

On the plus side, the reason I changed to the new datalogger was to get remote access. Now up and running. No more attic trips to adjust charge times...

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Does anyone know if a similar logger is available for Sofar hybrid inverters allowing remote access to the inverter?

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

My install date is tomorrow for 16 panels 7.4kw and 2 inverters (6kw total) with 5kw battery for ~18k before grant, expensive .. I know but couldn't find anywhere cheaper.

Any things I should watch out for?

My main concern is that I don't want the cables from the attic -> electrical panel to be visible, is it unreasonable to ask them to hide it behind plasterboard?

I have space in the utility room for inverters but they recommended to place them in the attic, I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭allinthehead

I suppose it depends how much work is involved in hiding the cables and potentially patching/making good after. They're getting quite the premium from you so no harm in asking.

Personally I wouldn't want the gear in the attic, I like to have easy access to it.

☀️

With all due respect, I don't know how you couldn't beat that price. You're overpaying by easily €4k. There are 3 or 4 installers who would beat that price comfortably.

Out of curiosity, why 2 inverters?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

For that price tell them to put the inverters where you want them. I would rather easy access, and you will regret it if their in the attic unless you have very easy access to them.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

I agree but I called every SEAI registered company, not joking, literally went through all pages and called every company 3 months ago. Don't forget the 5kw battery & eddy diverter, that adds up a bit.

Most were too busy or gave me crazy quotes, some were having stock issues, even months ahead. Some even told me it's no point to install a solar system :))

Got a quote 1k cheaper but it was only 1 6kw inverter instead of 2. I have main roof (2 sides) + extension roof (pitched so 2 sides), as each inverter is 2 strings max having 2 inverters each 3kw was recommended to be the most efficient way.

Ok, how often would you need access to the inverter and for what? Attic will be converted in 3 years.

I imagine they have apps where you select to charge the battery from the grid if you want or to use from the grid at a cheaper rate and save the stored energy for later? 1 inverter is hybrid SAJ H1 3kw with DC & WIFI, the other one is SAJ R5 3k 2MPPT.

I'm a techy guy so I'm willing to spend some time with raspberry pi if it helps..

Thanks agan!

Post edited by rosmoke on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It can be controlled via rs485, but it's a bit more DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

2 inverters plus battery might take a lot of wall space in utility. I agree it's best place and where mine is. But you only need access 2x a year for a small battery... Start night charging in October and stop it in March. There are a few weeks each side you might micro manage the capacity of the charge, but it's only saving pennies.

If the attic isn't too cold should be fine, but I agree for that money make sure you get exactly what you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

Just make sure the inverter you get can be controlled the way you want if you go with the attic. Solis have only recently added remote access to their inverters so some other brands might not be capable yet. You might want them to put a double socket beside the inverter to run light loads off the battery during power cuts as well.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

You'll only get proper control of an inverter if it's a Sofar. Make and connect to a sofar2mqtt device conected to a pi, put the inverter into passive mode, and away you go

It's interesting that the quote was for the Sofar inverters but on the invoice I paid for SAJ, god knows what they'll bring tomorrow or what's best out of both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Sunsynk inverters have full control from the app on mobile and desktop.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

The triangles mean there's a network issue. Probably bad signal between some of the devices. Options are to move devices closer together or add an extended aerial to the Eddi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jkforde

if extending the antenna of the Eddi (master device), just make sure that you're not benefiting the comms to one slave device at the expense of another...

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

If one connected device in the myenergi network is having issues then that will affect the whole thing. Same was advised to me by myenergi. I tried the extended aerial with my eddi which it improved but not enough. Planning to get it moved down a floor, hopefully this week.

Did you try making the other device you Master ? If you switch, a Harvi would need to be re-paired to the Master unit.

Remember, devices inter-communicate with radio, not wifi.

I also had strange dropout issues when I had a CT clamp connected to my Harvi, where I left the full length of cable bundled up. I trimmed it back to the needed 0.5m and the issues went away.

When you build the sofar2mqtt is powered off the inverter itself or does it require a separate power source. They mention using a usb 5v power supply but I don’t have a plug near the inverter.

I'm just starting out with home assistant, as in I’ve read a bit last night and watched a YouTube video.

So my knowledge base on it all is poor. Does the sofar2mqtt unit allow better monitoring of battery charge/discharge and panel production, grid consumption etc or would you need something like efergy on top to feed back into HA?

Not sure about Phil's but on mine I tried setups with each as a master (repairing everything each time). It doesn't help unfortunately. myenergi can see the signal strength on their end but won't say aside from better/worse. It's a bit useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Blakes77

You can also get all the data from the sofar inverters very easily into HA using modbus and a cheap RS485 to USB

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Advertisement

See now you’ve already gone over my head 😂

Thanks for that. A 9.6kwh dyness operates at 48 volts or does it go to 53v?

Advertisement