Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

graememk wrote: »
    There still is something not right. In October you would rarely get 2kw excess at 9am or do you?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the eddi only needs to see the amount exported.

When running on battery does the house run on a slight import (as not to export anything stored in the battery)
    I agree still not right though better than it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I got my house monitor today to see how much I need to think about when it comes to pannels.

We're a small house only a 2 beds but looks like I'm pulling about 500w normally and spiking during cooking.

Is 500w normal? Does that seem high?

I think I'm going to go around turning everything off for a while and see what is pulling power...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

afatbollix wrote: »
    Is 500w normal? Does that seem high?

I think I'm going to go around turning everything off for a while and see what is pulling power...

I could be anywhere from 350w to 650w through the day.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

500w is pretty standard.

Now for solar panel payback, take your usage from say 9-5 (in the summer you'll prob be able to cover 5/6am - 8/9pm, but in the depths of winter that window will shorten)

That is what you could save with solar panels. Then say of you add a 4.8kwh battery (you'll be lucky to get 4kwh back out of it) so that's another 4 units to use in the evening.

Rate that at 15-17c/ kwh and then that's your max saving.

You won't get that saving everyday but you still will get some electricity generated on the rainy days. And a bit more on the bright but overcast days.

On the really sunny days, you could then start to run the dishwasher/washing machine/drier when generating plenty.

Hot water diverters is another hot topic, really depends on the cost of them and how you currently heat your water. (Cost isn't the only factor)

For example my Dad got one with his system, because his house is heated with solid fuel, and he kept a small fire going though the summer to ensure hot water. With the diverter the fire can be let go out. And only lit when needed to heat the rest of the house.

The figure thrown about for heating water via gas or oil is about 5c/kwh.

If you currently heat water using an immersion, well then the hot water diverter would be a benefit!

Sofar in my dad's system he has saved 88kwh in October. (Excluding divert, that's pulled out separately, gonna wait until the end of the month for the full figures)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

24hrs so far,

Some noticeable things,

Overnight it settled down to 250w.

My work desk is 300w (PC, Monitors, lights)
    TV is 250w
    Oven is 3Kw
    Kettle is 2Kw
    Washing machine is 2Kw during heat up and then not much until the spin.

Very surprising.
    I peaked at 7Kwph during cooking using the hob & oven with the dishwasher & clothes machine on too.

Surprisingly now quickly it all adds up.

The electric company emailed this morning to say my direct debit is going up £10 a month :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

garo wrote: »
    With a DC coupled battery and hybrid inverter it is impossible for the Eddi to tell whether the power is coming from solar panels or the battery. Once it starts drawing power it will keep going and the hybrid will keep drawing the battery.

Have you set an export margin on the Eddi?
    Set the export margin on the zappi last night and have the Solis hybrid inverter set to only discharge after 2PM however still have drain into the eddi of 1.2kw this morning. Myenergie were on and said the only option is as you said about getting export margin to 100w and nothing else can be done as the myenergie gear can't differentiate between battery and solar! As the battery on a dc coupled system is before the inverter there is nothing can be done from their end. I find this difficult to believe that I am the only one with this issue!
    I am hoping to get more panels installed once seai stuff gone through as my solar gain is crap.this timenof year due to trees shading low winter sun, living on the side of a mountain etc on south facing hip roofs maybe 7/10 panels. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

You could try upping the export limit to 200W. Though I suspect something else is wrong. Do you have a boost timer on the Eddi by chance? There is no reason for the Eddi to think there is any excess at 9:30 on a morning like today.

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Set the export margin on the zappi last night and have the Solis hybrid inverter set to only discharge after 2PM however still have drain into the eddi of 1.2kw this morning. Myenergie were on and said the only option is as you said about getting export margin to 100w and nothing else can be done as the myenergie gear can't differentiate between battery and solar! As the battery on a dc coupled system is before the inverter there is nothing can be done from their end. I find this difficult to believe that I am the only one with this issue!

There is something not right somewhere, As your battery is full, the eddi ran from the grid this morning.

What's happening in the house at half 9?

would love to see the info coming in from the solis and the myengerie app when its actually happening.

Could it be a faulty CT?

It doesnt need to see the battery or anything like that, it just needs to know how much is being exported and try and trim that off.

No joy still draining after 2PM dooh.

Am I right in thinking that your setup is similar to mine? Solid hybrid inverter, pylontech battery, Eddi, myenergi hub?

I've never had any unwanted drain to the Eddi.

• Advertisement

There's for sure a mixup of cts or something going on

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

I had similar issues with drain on the myenegi devices but the latest beta firmware has fixed it. I would recommend registering on their forum and sign up for the beta firmware
    https://myenergi.info/discussion/all

There's for sure a mixup of cts or something going on

I'd well believe it. As much as I recommend my installer, he wasn't great when it came to the layout and setup of the clamps and myenergi setup. Had to come back twice to go through it with myenergi tech support and iron out the bugs.

And not just my guy, I know of other installers who also did a good job on everything except the CT layout.

Looking at your first attachment, why doesn't your inverter sense the 140W export to grid and dial back what it is getting out from the battery? And how did you get your battery full? Nightrate charging?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    And not just my guy, I know of other installers who also did a good job on everything except the CT layout.

Yep mine put the CT on the wrong wire so wasn't sensing any load on sockets. Duh!

Ok Looking again at it.

I would say the solis is the correct one.

your generating 80w, 2.42w is coming from the battery and consumption is 2.27kw (immersions 1.5kw + the rest of the normal house load)

OH.. I really think its muddled up ct's

going on them screenshots, I think the eddi thinks the house consumption is the solar consumption, and then trying to get all the other figures to fit?

Do you know what ct does what? are they connected to the zappi or are they connected to a harvi or the eddi?

There should be one beside the solis one, that measures the grid import/export and then another one on the line that goes to the solar.

Edit:

Doing the figures on the my energi screenshot,
    It knows its using 1.5kw at the immersion, and it "sees" 2.3 kw coming from the "solar" and then calculates that there is 800w going to run the house.

The battery is seeing import so its filling the gap as its meant to do . According to the solis app, there is 2.5kw coming from the inverter, so them 2 figures should more or less match.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that your setup is similar to mine? Solid hybrid inverter, pylontech battery, Eddi, myenergi hub?

I've never had any unwanted drain to the Eddi.

Yes dr Phil same setup with battery etc. Maybe faults somewhere in my setup if you can't see it happening

garo wrote: »
    Yep mine put the CT on the wrong wire so wasn't sensing any load on sockets. Duh!

Yeap checked the ct's and they are on the same wire coming from fuseboard to meter. Possible ct fault alright.

Myenergie energy use for today. Shows the eddi drawing at 9am and 3PM. Will check the settings again this evening when home though defo no excess available.

Does your eddi ever see anything being imported from the grid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Myenergie energy use for today. Shows the eddi drawing at 9am and 3PM. Will check the settings again this evening when home though defo no excess available.

You need to get on to your supplier and get this sorted as its just not right.
    God knows your giving him your hard earned cash to do the job right and its not on for you to be pulling your hair out.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daughy

Yeap checked the ct's and they are on the same wire coming from fuseboard to meter. Possible ct fault alright.
    I know it's a long shot, but worth a try.
    If you open the harvi and see if the positive and negative are wired correctly for your grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Any advice on keeping the panels clean and with any special cleaner.
    Thankfully im in a bungalow so roof access is not a problem.

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Any advice on keeping the panels clean and with any special cleaner.

I use rain and indifference. Seems to work very well.

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    You need to get on to your supplier and get this sorted as its just not right.
    God knows your giving him your hard earned cash to do the job right and its not on for you to be pulling your hair out.
    I agree.
    Upped the export margin to 200w and myenergie.are going to remote monitor my usage through the app hub and see what the story is. Installer looking into it also. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I use rain and indifference. Seems to work very well.

:D

I seem to upgrade my panels every year or two. No need to clean them in between.

I have received a response email from the esb, I was under the impression you had to get a letter from them to allow you to turn on your Inverter.
    They just said we don't send any letter.
    Just an email that they received the nc6 form etc. Things must have changed as approx 5 years ago I set up a solar install and sent the nc6 form and received a letter saying its OK to turn on your Inverter.
    What's the process with this.
    They said you just have to notify your supplier

daughy wrote: »
    I have received a response email from the esb, I was under the impression you had to get a letter from them to allow you to turn on your Inverter.
    They just said we don't send any letter.
    Just an email that they received the nc6 form etc. Things must have changed as approx 5 years ago I set up a solar install and sent the nc6 form and received a letter saying its OK to turn on your Inverter.
    What's the process with this.
    They said you just have to notify your supplier

Yeah it's just send in the nc6 and if you don't hear back from them your good to go.

Yeah it's just send in the nc6 and if you don't hear back from them your good to go.
    Thanks for that graememk. I don't need to tell my supplier? Like my energy provider?

• Advertisement

daughy wrote: »
    Thanks for that graememk. I don't need to tell my supplier? Like my energy provider?
    Not to my knowledge, we didn't have to for our install in Sept.

Ever get your low voltage checked out?

Advertisement