Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭championc

alesironi wrote: »
    Hi all

I understand in 2021 sooner or later there should be available Feed In Tariffs so anyone with Solar PV and a smart meter will get something back for every bit of electricity produced not used and sent back to the grid.

What I do not understand is this: from a technical perspective, apart from the "Smart Meter" that should be installed by ESB sooner or later, are there any other technical requirements to be considered for a Solar PV system? I mean, once I have any Solar PV system installed and connected to provide electricity directly to my house and sending back to the grid any excess, whateever brand is it (and a smart meter, of course), do I need anything else to get the benefit of FIT once they are available? Not talking about contracts/agreements, only from a technical perspective.

Little bit confused as I am looking to a SOlar PV system but I want to be sure it's future proof for FIT.

thanks
    ale

All Irish certified inverters conform to an Irish standard EN50438-IE standard. So once you file your NC6 Form with ESB Networks, you can use Solar PV connected to the Irish grid.

FIT doesn't exist yet, so any rules around it's setup are pure speculation, including the timeline for it's introduction for that matter !!!

My own personal opinion would be that FIT would be applicable to all NC6 registered installations, since you couldn't discriminate against people who didn't claim SEAI grants, but that it would eliminate potentially dangerous non-compliant systems, or those larger than 6kw

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

Just curious anyone who's currently partially filling battery at night have they worked out difference between kWh AC fed into battery vs AC kWh they get out?
    What size of loss do they see with the AC to DC and then conversion back to AC?

idc wrote: »
    Just curious anyone who's currently partially filling battery at night have they worked out difference between kWh AC fed into battery vs AC kWh they get out?
    What size of loss do they see with the AC to DC and then conversion back to AC?

About 20% loss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

championc wrote: »
    About 20% loss

Do you have actual measurements showing this?

garo wrote: »
    Do you have actual measurements showing this?

Yes, look at my monthly stats - I include my Charge and Discharge figures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Info needed on potential upgrade.

I've got a lead on a DIY battery. 12kWh of batteries from a gen 1 Leaf. Guy who built it has it limited to 9kWh to extend life. Comes with cabinet, brackets, BMS the works. Ready to plug and play.

I have 2 options.

Option 1, replace the PylonTech batteries that I have currently. Could sell them to finance the upgrade. Connect the Leaf cells to the current system and its a straight switch from 4.8kWh to 9kWh. But obviously with the option for cheap upgrades in the future, as batteries become available.

Option 2, bearing in mind that I'm planning to double my panel capacity in the next few years. If I double my panels, I'll need another inverter.

Currently the Solis inverter in the house has 11 house panels on 1 string, and 9 garage panels on the other string, connected via 6mm solar DC cable.

Option 2 would mean doubling the house panels, and running 11 each onto each string of the Solis inverter, and possibly keeping the PylonTech batteries.

Then doubling the garage panels and running that load onto a second inverter, located in the garage rather than the house and connecting the Leaf batteries to that inverter.

My question is, will this work? If I have 2 separate inverters with a battery on each, can they co-exist? If the house load is 500w, house panels are producing 2kw and the house battery is full, but the garage panels are producing 1kw and the battery is half empty, can that excess from the house go to the garage storage? Or would it export?

Hopefully it can work, as I could potentially end up with a 13kwp system and 15Kwh of storage.

In the event that 2 separate storage locations is not feasible, then I'll just sell the PylonTech and install the Leaf cells. Although that would still leave the same scenario, can the excess from a separate panel/inverter set up still feed the batteries elsewhere on the system?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Info needed on potential upgrade.

I've got a lead on a DIY battery. 12kWh of batteries from a gen 1 Leaf. Guy who built it has it limited to 9kWh to extend life. Comes with cabinet, brackets, BMS the works. Ready to plug and play.

I have 2 options.

Option 1, replace the PylonTech batteries that I have currently. Could sell them to finance the upgrade. Connect the Leaf cells to the current system and its a straight switch from 4.8kWh to 9kWh. But obviously with the option for cheap upgrades in the future, as batteries become available.

Option 2, bearing in mind that I'm planning to double my panel capacity in the next few years. If I double my panels, I'll need another inverter.

Currently the Solis inverter in the house has 11 house panels on 1 string, and 9 garage panels on the other string, connected via 6mm solar DC cable.

Option 2 would mean doubling the house panels, and running 11 each onto each string of the Solis inverter, and possibly keeping the PylonTech batteries.

Then doubling the garage panels and running that load onto a second inverter, located in the garage rather than the house and connecting the Leaf batteries to that inverter.

My question is, will this work? If I have 2 separate inverters with a battery on each, can they co-exist? If the house load is 500w, house panels are producing 2kw and the house battery is full, but the garage panels are producing 1kw and the battery is half empty, can that excess from the house go to the garage storage? Or would it export?

Hopefully it can work, as I could potentially end up with a 13kwp system and 15Kwh of storage.

In the event that 2 separate storage locations is not feasible, then I'll just sell the PylonTech and install the Leaf cells. Although that would still leave the same scenario, can the excess from a separate panel/inverter set up still feed the batteries elsewhere on the system?

Power is ALWAYS taken from the source of the highest voltage available.

Power is ALWAYS taken from the source of the highest voltage available.

Eh?

Eh?

Inverters generate voltage hight than the grid, so that's how your inverter would be chosen in preference to grid power.

Therefore, you can work out yourself what way one or two inverters might integrate into your setup.

As for going with Leaf batteries, you'd possibly need to be able to set it up as Lead-Acid, or some form of Default option. You could indeed have pylons on one inverter and leafs on another.

You might be better looking at a standalone storage inverter like the ME3000SP rather than another hybrid. You might even then be better ditching your hybrid and have batteries totally separate to PV

• Site Banned Posts: 47 Saralace

What is size are your 2 inverters each there are websites for sizing your batteries
    How many kw do you use each day

• Advertisement

You might be better looking at a standalone storage inverter like the ME3000SP rather than another hybrid. You might even then be better ditching your hybrid and have batteries totally separate to PV

Is that the Sofar? Funny enough that's what the builder of the storage unit uses.

I can't see me keeping the PylonTech and Leaf cells. I could flog the Pylons and buy 3 times as much storage in cells for similar cost.

I think at this stage the smart move would be to put a second inverter in the garage, hook up the Leaf cells with space for expansion, and leave the house panels connected to the Solis inverter for now.

Then change the Solis only when it comes time to add panels.

Next question, are there any restrictions on selling the gear you've had grant help with? I got the full €3k so am I allowed to sell the battery and/or inverter that it paid for?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Connrang

Hi all,
    So I have been following this thread for sometime now and had a system recently installed.
    10 x 410w Canadian Solar Perc Poly panels
    2 x 2.2 kW batteries
    BPE 4kW Hybrid Solis Inverter
    Iboost
    Smappee monitoring

Not the best time of the year for solar production but using the night rate I charge up the batteries and it gives back when needed during the day. There was one or two good days since installation that gives me an indication that should the summer be as good as this year it will produce well.

Payback time was never a consideration as I'm a wee bit over 60 and I was something that was on my " to do " list for some years.
    Hopefully the grant will be back soon but I won't starve waiting for it, the wife might :)

I didn't go for the " Big Box Companies " used a contractor recommended by another Boards member.

Plan is to install at least another two batteries over the next year

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Is that the Sofar? Funny enough that's what the builder of the storage unit uses.

Yeah the Sofar me3000sp, it's a dedicated storage inverter, takes "excess" like the hot water divert and stores it in batteries. I think you can get a ct and measure it using myengeri system.

It would be setup using the default profile, an manual settings but if you know someone that's got it setup already, that bits already done.

You then could keep your next solar install simple and just have a normal inverter.

It's something you can just drop in now.
    Next question, are there any restrictions on selling the gear you've had grant help with? I got the full €3k so am I allowed to sell the battery and/or inverter that it paid for?

Once you get the grant, it's finished, you can do what you want with it.

I think at this stage the smart move would be to put a second inverter in the garage, hook up the Leaf cells with space for expansion, and leave the house panels connected to the Solis inverter for now.

What voltage is the Leaf pack ? The Sofar ME3000SP is ideal for for 48v. It does support Pylons and various other pre-built Lithium packs.

Once you've received the grant, you could go and flog the whole lot. It's like buying an EV, once you get the grant, there is no obligation to keep the car for any period of time.

I've just replaced my 16 x 12v 90ah AGM Lead-Acid's (4s4p) for 16 x 3.2v 200ah LiFePO4's. The Sofar just needed to be reconfigured with different parameters.

Just saying, my LiFePO4's were less than 2 of the pylon 2.4's, and with double the capacity of two packs. You've no indication as to the health of old Leaf cells. They may read ok voltage wise, but could have fook all current

Just saying, my LiFePO4's were less than 2 of the pylon 2.4's, with double the capacity. You've no indication as to the health of old Leaf cells. They may read ok voltage wise, but could have fook all current

Pack was at 75% SOH when the car was scrapped. He bought 14kWh of cells, so around 10.5kWh capacity but he runs it at a reduced voltage per cell.

He has a usable 9kWh the way its set up.

Pack was at 75% SOH when the car was scrapped. He bought 14kWh of cells, so around 10.5kWh capacity but he runs it at a reduced voltage per cell.

He has a usable 9kWh the way its set up.

How much did it cost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

I can't see me keeping the PylonTech and Leaf cells. I could flog the Pylons and buy 3 times as much storage in cells for similar cost.

Then change the Solis only when it comes time to add panels.

Its your gear. Do what you want.
    Personally I wouldn't expect too high a price for a second hand inverter with no warranty. If i was buying second hand i wouldn't pay more than 400e.
    TBF the new Solis Inverters with a factory warranty are not that expensive

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Its your gear. Do what you want.
    Personally I wouldn't expect too high a price for a second hand inverter with no warranty.

No warranty? Its only 6 months old!

That said I might not need to change the Solis. Just let it function as normal, but without a battery.

My new LiFePO4's :)
    534586.jpg

No warranty? Its only 6 months old!

That said I might not need to change the Solis. Just let it function as normal, but without a battery.

Sorry, what I meant was no warranty if you sell it.

• Advertisement

Sorry, what I meant was no warranty if you sell it.

I'd be surprised to learn that warranty isn't transferable, but I haven't looked into it.

A warranty, as with the majority of products, would be between the original purchaser and the retailler, so in theory, someone could come back to you and ask you to raise a warranty request on their behalf - which is perfectly reasonable.

So warranty would never really be transferrable I would have thought.

So warranty would never really be transferrable I would have thought.
    So all the folks selling cars with warranty remaining are just chancing their arm?

So all the folks selling cars with warranty remaining are just chancing their arm?

What warranty do you have on the Solis inverter now and is it with the installer or the manufacturer.

What warranty do you have on the Solis inverter now and is it with the installer or the manufacturer.

10 year manufacturers warranty.

Again though, highly unlikely that I'll bother selling the Solis. Would be unlikely to be worth my while with what I'd sell it for and what I'd need to spend to replace it.

Could well sell the PylonTech batteries though.

I believe the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 19xx makes the "Contract" between the seller and the buyer.

With cars, the warranty appears to transfer with the "goods".

Actually, you would really only need the original receipt for the warranty to be honoured by a retailer. However, if an inverter was installed by a third party, you'd need to know what distributor the installer bought the inverter from to have any hope. However, it could then be claimed that it was improperly removed / decommissioned.

So long and short, the only likely claimable warranty would have been if you bought the kit personally.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Lots of product warranty these days is transferable as the warranty is provided by the Manufacturer not the retailer which you seem to be focusing on e.g. all Sony TV warranty transfers from owner to owner.
    There is EU legislation in the making to make retailer responsibility to transfer too as really whether one person or several own a product is really irrelevant when it comes to product fault.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just to demonstrate the impact of shading....
    My bro has identical setup to mine but about a mile away and no shading.
    Same panels, same inverter etc, both 4.1kWp SW facing.
    Today was cloudless for both of us so the best day to compare generation...
    I had 3.7kW, he got 10.5kW.
    I get tree shading from around 11am, about 3/4 of my panels are shaded from around 1.30pm......
    Massive impact

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭phester28

I dont know if I just have a bad orientation. I've been seeing a peak over the last few days of about 250W from my 1.5Kwp swinging over to similar from my 0.9Kwp in the evening.

Today I got 1.8A at 11am from the 1.5kwp from my east and 2.5A at 2Pm from the 0.9kwp, voltages are being kept in normal mppt ranges

i think houses block the early morning low sun in my east and west is better but smaller

Total 1.4kwh today from 2.5kwp 1.5/0.9 east west split

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    Just to demonstrate the impact of shading....
    My bro has identical setup to mine but about a mile away and no shading.
    Same panels, same inverter etc, both 4.1kWp SW facing.
    Today was cloudless for both of us so the best day to compare generation...
    I had 3.7kW, he got 10.5kW.
    I get tree shading from around 11am, about 3/4 of my panels are shaded from around 1.30pm......
    Massive impact

Even if only a QUARTER of ONE panel was shaded, it pulls EVERY panels' output down to the output of that panel.

So the option is for an Optimizer to be fitted to EACH affected panel, or remove them from the string and put on a separate Micro-Inverter

EDIT: posted as a heads up for those unaware of the effect of shading, and the potential solutions

Advertisement