Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Exactly the same story here. Also have the ME3000SP. Also have LiFePo4 battery that I built myself. Did get a BMS, but not that impressed with what it can do on top of what the Sofar does. So I too am using the BMS that's between my ears :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Would love to get into the home made battery side of things but with two EV's in the house that can take my excess I just don't see the point.
    2021 will bring a new string on board from the rear of the house (currently frozen so they won't add much), I hope to trim some trees out the front between the road and the path and finally I have a long term goal of some raised panels at the back of my garden to boost Winter production, going to put them up straight vertical but that's another thread perhaps....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daughy

I'm a little confused about the pylontech + the pure drive + givenergy encased batteries, if for instance I purchased, 1, 2.4kwh pylontech and used it for a year cycling every day, in the following year I purchase another, the capacity will have decreased in the original, so how is this problem overcome. Easily I suppose buy purchasing what you need from the start, but still doesn't solve the issue.
    Is purchasing one 2.4kwh a waste of money?
    If you add another fresh battery to a used battery will the used battery drag the fresh batteries capacity down?
    If the voltages are out of sync or sag in a years time is it possible to parralell the cells to bottom balance and top balance as the 2.4kwh is made up of 16 cells at 50ah each to make 48 volt battery bank.
    Opening the case could void your warranty?
    As desirable as it is to have an all in one system Is Building your own 16 cell, with bms, low temperature protection cut off a safer option?
    With shipping from China and maybe 48 volt 280ah lithium cells making 13.4kwh at maybe 3k...
    I'm just guessing now.. But it just seems cheaper than a 48 volt 50ah pylontech at 1k..
    My shed can get down to 9 degrees celcius at the moment and that's during the day, I would definitely insulate a raw 16 cell pack and have low temperature protection just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭championc

Same as the others, I have a Sofar ME3000SP, which can discharge up to 3kW, which, when run alongside a regular Solar Inverter (I have the Sofar 3000TL), allows therefore up to 6kW of output. So that is the main advantage over your standard Hybrid Inverter.

I'm awaiting a BMS as I have a bit of drift on one cell so I figure it's worth getting it for the long run.

You couldn't really mix setups unless you had identical battery chemistries and strings of the same number of cells. If I added a second string, I could add a separate second BMS too. I previously had 4 strings of Lead-Acids, the CALB cells are taller than Lead-Acid's but certainly the space for 2 more strings - a powerwall of 30kW !!!

For anyone tempted and with a HYBRID Inverter, look at what parameters can be configured or whether your inverter might "talk" to an external BMS. The Sofar unit has about 11 different parameters which can, in theory, support all sorts of batteries.

HOWEVER, I would advise AGAINST Lead-Acid batteries. You cannot / should not discharge them below 50% and the charging rate above 80% tails off significantly, so while you could easily discharge 2kW, if your batteries were 80% full and you were generating 2kW of excess, it's very likely that you will NOT be able to put all of that back in. LiFePO4's will allow for max rate charging right up to about 95% SOC while you can safely discharge right down to 15%

championc wrote: »
    For anyone tempted and with a HYBRID Inverter, look at what parameters can be configured or whether your inverter might "talk" to an external BMS. The Sofar unit has about 11 different parameters which can, in theory, support all sorts of batteries.

This was the thing I was interested in researching, using the Solis hybrid it has a port underneath the inverter to connect to the all in one systems like a pylontech as the hybrid inverter has a built in bms, they're is an on board temperature sensor in the inverter so I'm assuming it will disconnect in low temps.
    A bms connected to the batteries will do the job fine without connecting to the inverter and a seperate low temp sensor but it would be nice to utilise the existing bms in the hybrid.
    If I find anything out about it I'll post it here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

daughy wrote: »

This was the thing I was interested in researching, using the Solis hybrid it has a port underneath the inverter to connect to the all in one systems like a pylontech as the hybrid inverter has a built in bms, they're is an on board temperature sensor in the inverter so I'm assuming it will disconnect in low temps.
    A bms connected to the batteries will do the job fine without connecting to the inverter and a seperate low temp sensor but it would be nice to utilise the existing bms in the hybrid.

Looking at the solis hybrid manual, Pages 39-41 show there is a "user defined" mode where you have to set all your battery parameters yourself.

Are you sure it has an onboard BMS ? Pylontech modules will be built with a BMS inside them and the battery info is passed over the comms cable. It's likely that the inverter will continue to divert power to the batteries for as long as the batteries BMS calls for power. Similarly, the Pylontechs will continue to discharge for as long as the BMS within the module allows it to be discharged.

The Sofar has internal temperature sensors and a port to plug in an external sensor too. The problem again is that the Sofar is ultimately expecting Lead-Acid's, so it doesn't care if it drops to -5°C, it purely just reports the temperature as another stat that can be reported.

As I understand it, Pylontechs are 15s, not 16s

So with an external pack like mine, you need to be able to set things like the charging voltage and current, as well as max and min voltages so that the inverter can work out the SOC% and charge until 100% and discharge until maybe 15%

To prove the point regarding LiFePO4 high charge rates being possible right up near 100%, this is mine just now

Are you sure it has an onboard BMS ? Pylontech modules will be built with a BMS inside them and the battery info is passed over the comms cable. It's likely that the inverter will continue to divert power to the batteries for as long as the batteries BMS calls for power. Similarly, the Pylontechs will continue to discharge for as long as the BMS within the module allows it to be discharged.

The Sofar has internal temperature sensors and a port to plug in an external sensor too. The problem again is that the Sofar is ultimately expecting Lead-Acid's, so it doesn't care if it drops to -5°C, it purely just reports the temperature as another stat that can be reported.

As I understand it, Pylontechs are 15s, not 16s

So with an external pack like mine, you need to be able to set things like the charging voltage and current, as well as max and min voltages so that the inverter can work out the SOC% and charge until 100% and discharge until maybe 15%

To prove the point regarding LiFePO4 high charge rates being possible right up near 100%, this is mine just now

Your right champion, the solis hybrid only has the integrated bms

It makes perfect sense that the pylontech would have the bms built in as that is where the battery is located, and the inverter uses the coms cable attachment to receive the data, if I can get my hands on something similar I could just copy what pylontech has under the hood regarding the bms to coms adapter.
    Hope that makes sense.
    Also I'm not sure if the temperature sensor that's inside the inverter will cut the charging if it's above or below the threshold for lithium or user defined as I have not seen the option to manipulate the temperature, the solis hybrid does have a user defined setup apart from pre existing pylontech, puredrive, LG chem, dryness, b-box, so it's adaptable, not really supposed to use lead acid but I'm sure it can as you can set the voltages, float, soc, discharge limit etc.
    I would be more concerned about charging lithium without a low temperature protection cut off as the weather has taken a turn for the worst, that's unless your room temp is fine to begin with.

Your right champion, the solis hybrid only has the integrated bms

It makes perfect sense that the pylontech would have the bms built in as that is where the battery is located, and the inverter uses the coms cable attachment to receive the data, if I can get my hands on something similar I could just copy what pylontech has under the hood regarding the bms to coms adapter.
    Hope that makes sense.
    Also I'm not sure if the temperature sensor that's inside the inverter will cut the charging if it's above or below the threshold for lithium or user defined as I have not seen the option to manipulate the temperature, the solis hybrid does have a user defined setup apart from pre existing pylontech, puredrive, LG chem, dryness, b-box, so it's adaptable, not really supposed to use lead acid but I'm sure it can as you can set the voltages, float, soc, discharge limit etc.
    I would be more concerned about charging lithium without a low temperature protection cut off as the weather has taken a turn for the worst, that's unless your room temp is fine to begin with.

I've installed a Hylite tubular Heater in my shed to keep the temperature above 4 deg.

It's unfortunate that I believe that there is no Canbus "standard" messaging, so third party BMS's need to be specifically supported by the inverter manufacturers

Third party BMS will just shut down the battery if the temps get too low. Never mind what the inverter says. That is, if they have a temp probe and the functionality is working :D

These things of course only matter if your battery is outside or in an unheated outbuilding. To avoid any issues, I switched my battery inverter off a few weeks ago when the cold was coming. No loss anyway as all it does now is peak shaving - my direct consumption from PV = 100%

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone ever hear rattling from their panels in high winds? It's very rare but during strong gusts from the NW I do hear a fair bit of noise, only during the gusts though strangely enough and only when the wind is from the N/NW far as I can tell as there's been a few storms where there was no noise at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I live on an exposed hillside in the North West, if my panels stay on, anyone's will.

I've never heard rattling from them though. I'd cack the togs if I did.

That said, I did on a few stormy occasions park the car well out from the house just in case...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Like DrPhilG, I too am in the NW on a peninsula jutting out into Atlantic Ocean which is within 150m away on 3 sides of the house. My panels were only recently installed so probably haven't been put to the test properly yet, rough out there tonight though.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    That said, I did on a few stormy occasions park the car well out from the house just in case...

The other side of the hillside?

Rather than start a new thread I’ll try here first.
    I have 10 panels on one string of my dual string setup that are heavily shaded so am going to put in optimisers onto all 10 panels, I am aware that only the shaded panels need optimisers but from viewing the panels throughout the day I can see at least 8 get shading so given the cost of roofers being up there I’m going to do all 10.
    My question...anyone out there with software/hardware that shows how much EACH panel is generating? I’ve seen this on the web but very US based so would prefer local experience.
    This is not an economic decision (the facility to see individual panel production), more geeky in nature.
    I’d like to have my homework done ahead of Optimiser retrofit by end of January.
    Cheers folks

slave1 wrote: »
    I have 10 panels on one string of my dual string setup that are heavily shaded so am going to put in optimisers onto all 10 panels, I am aware that only the shaded panels need optimisers but from viewing the panels throughout the day I can see at least 8 get shading so given the cost of roofers being up there I’m going to do all 10.
    My question...anyone out there with software/hardware that shows how much EACH panel is generating? I’ve seen this on the web but very US based so would prefer local experience.
    This is not an economic decision (the facility to see individual panel production), more geeky in nature.
    I’d like to have my homework done ahead of Optimiser retrofit by end of January.
    Cheers folks

Tigo have a TAP device which works with their optimizers. What I don't know is whether that data goes to a subscription portal or whether you read that from the gateway device.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tigo-CCA-Kit-Tigo-Cloud-Connect-Advanced-with-tap-/154288407420?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Cheers folks

Do you know what optimiser that is being fitted?

But to monitor each panel you'll need some sort of smart connected optimiser, I think there is a smart huawei one.

Tigo have a TAP device which works with their optimizers. What I don't know is whether that data goes to a subscription portal or whether you read that from the gateway device.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tigo-CCA-Kit-Tigo-Cloud-Connect-Advanced-with-tap-/154288407420?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Thanks, way over my geek budget though, at least I have an idea now

graememk wrote: »
    Do you know what optimiser that is being fitted?

But to monitor each panel you'll need some sort of smart connected optimiser, I think there is a smart huawei one.

Tigo is the main man in town and the one mentioned by Installer, I'll check Huawei out

Thanks, way over my geek budget though, at least I have an idea now

The Tigo's will cost you about 80 each I reckon and then you say that you'll then pay a roofer ??

You could buy Micro-Inverters on AliExpress for 30 odd each

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Tigo is the main man in town and the one mentioned by Installer, I'll check Huawei out

@slave1 I had tried to get info before on Huawei as the monitoring on Tigo is too expensive - both retail about €50 each - so SS is a Tigo man that saves me having to ask him the question ...

I had a quote nearer €40 for the Tigos up North, would be ex VAT as shipping to ROI hence lower price, been a while mind so must look it up again

How bad is your shadowing? Throwing optimizers at them is a very poor solution throwing good money after bad. Optimizers have a very poor reliability record and if one fails, do you really want to pay a roofer again to go up there, find out which one failed, replace that one and repeat the whole process every 6 months, 12, 24?

I'd think more radically. Either let it be and live with the loss at times or move the whole array so there is no shading - even if that would mean installing a ground mount array

The shading is cutting my generation to about 30% of its potential (compared to my brothers identical setup) and nowhere to move it to, it’s 20m2 so not exactly small beans.
    I’ve never heard mention of optimisers having poor reliability

Put it to you this way. If you have 10 optimizers, you'd be lucky if you didn't have to replace one on average every 3-4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

unkel wrote: »
    Put it to you this way. If you have 10 optimizers, you'd be lucky if you didn't have to replace one every 2-3 years

Is this from personal experience? Or is there a good online source for first hand accounts of this level of reliability?

My current electricity contract is coming to an end next week. Having recently installed 3.6kW PV with no battery do I need to put extra thought into new suppliers in order to maximise benefit from offers available or is just going to Bonkers and select the best looking offer? Ie higher elec usage in winter, lower in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

My current electricity contract is coming to an end next week. Having recently installed 3.6kW PV with no battery do I need to put extra thought into new suppliers in order to maximise benefit from offers available or is just going to Bonkers and select the best looking offer? Ie higher elec usage in winter, lower in summer.

That ^

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭thebackbar

Hello,
    I have a 1 kWp pv panel kit mounted on my roof, however the system was never commissioned, I didn't get the inverter installed, and now the company that supplied the qcell pv panels are gone out of business. Will I need to get a company that specialises in pv panels to install a inverter or could I buy a inverter and ask my electrician to install it ? How much money would i be looking at for this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I currently have solar tubes on my main south facing roof, happy with them they've been doing their job for a number of years now. I am toying with either moving them to another south facing roof on another part of the house or getting rid of them altogether. The reason being is that they are planted bang in the middle of the roof (house is a bungalow) and if they weren't there I'd be able to accommodate 8 PV panels in one row along the length of roof. I can also fit 2 more panels above this row and 2 more on an east facing roof. Finally there is space for 4 more on a west facing roof (front of house) but i'm not to keen on this.
    So assuming there are 12 PV panels, is there any need for the solar tubes? Moving them to the other roof would take a day's work, I'd be actually moving them closer to the hot water tank so they should be more efficient.
    Other thing to note is we have one EV with a second on the way.
    Appreciate any thoughts you guys who are more knowledgeable on this have. Thanks.

Advertisement