Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

graememk wrote: »
    should be plugged into the bottom of the inverter, grey thing with an aerial, there is a code on the side of it.

(that also needs to be connected to your wifi)

This is the box mine came in, serial number is on that.

Did the installer not set that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,414 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

should be plugged into the bottom of the inverter, grey thing with an aerial, there is a code on the side of it.

(that also needs to be connected to your wifi)

Don't appear to have one.

Underneath the inverter

lZ5Oqt4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

6 wrote: »

lZ5Oqt4.jpg

Look on the actual logger thingy itself

championc wrote: »
    Look on the actual logger thingy itself

On the inverter? Yeah, can see that alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

I was quoted something similar put it in hold for now - any link to your tank Deagol? I wouldn’t mind seeing it as I was only offered same copper type.

This is my tank.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

See this is my issue with a new larger tank like that, you have all the pipes well insulated, I'm in a 70's house and I don't have access to all the pipes throughout the walls and floors of the house so they are all uninsulated and I feel with this weak point that the heat retention will be impacted.
    Not throwing a grand+ at an extra 80L tank that will not be as efficient in heat retention.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    See this is my issue with a new larger tank like that, you have all the pipes well insulated, I'm in a 70's house and I don't have access to all the pipes throughout the walls and floors of the house so they are all uninsulated and I feel with this weak point that the heat retention will be impacted.
    Not throwing a grand+ at an extra 80L tank that will not be as efficient in heat retention.

My tank is in the garage, and I have no idea what the insulation is like between the house and the garage. But I loose about 2kw per 24hrs in winter / low temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

On the inverter? Yeah, can see that alright

Did you get it sorted? Is your device the same as graememk’s picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Deagol wrote: »
    This is my tank.

Thanks Deagol that’s the job. I’ll prob wait until I see what the near future holds with FIT Covid and work...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 candysapple

Just wondering what people do with their house insurance after install. Ours will be due for renewal shortly after installation. I assume I just as the full cost (pre-grant) to the rebuild cost of the house.
    Do you need to notify the insurer that you've a solar system?

• Advertisement

Just wondering what people do with their house insurance after install. Ours will be due for renewal shortly after installation. I assume I just as the full cost (pre-grant) to the rebuild cost of the house.
    Do you need to notify the insurer that you've a solar system?

Its not on any question list I've seen doing my house insurance. Can't really see why they'd care provided it's been professionally installed. If you DIY it and your roof gets ripped off in the next storm I'd say they'd be telling you to whistle for any claim though ;)

Is there a specific calculation used to calculate BER after a pv installation?

Can't see one online. Thanks

Underneath the inverter

lZ5Oqt4.jpg

Have to point out something: Your AC grid connection is crappily done, the cable gland is not correctly gripping the outer sheath of the cable. If something that simple isn't done right I'd be wondering what other shortcuts the installer took....

Deagol wrote: »
    Have to point out something: Your AC grid connection is crappily done, the cable gland is not correctly gripping the outer sheath of the cable. If something that simple isn't done right I'd be wondering what other shortcuts the installer took....

Oh really? Ok, cheers. I'll mention it to my installer when he's back to do something for me this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Is there a specific calculation used to calculate BER after a pv installation?

Can't see one online. Thanks

It requires reviewing the entire house, not just the Solar. e.g house size, windows, insulation, heating etc. So there isn’t one set calculation.

KCross wrote: »
    It requires reviewing the entire house, not just the Solar. e.g house size, windows, insulation, heating etc. So there isn’t one set calculation.

Oh, I know that. I had a BER as recently as September. Was just wondering could I have a stab at the figure myself given I know the primary energy use per unit floor area per year (kWh/m2/yr) given at the time.

Oh, I know that. I had a BER as recently as September. Was just wondering could I have a stab at the figure myself given I know the primary energy use per unit floor area per year (kWh/m2/yr) given at the time.

Take your panels rated output, multiply by a factor of 1.47, divide the answer by the square meters of your house.
    This will give you the energy reduction used in BER calculations.
    Take this off your September figure and you'll see if you improved in the rating table.

Take your panels rated output, multiply by a factor of 1.47, divide the answer by the square meters of your house.
    Take this off your September figure and you'll see if you improved in the rating table.

What's the 1.47 factor?

So, for a 5kW system it's

5000 * 1.47
    /
    Xm^2

?

Thanks

What's the 1.47 factor?

So, for a 5kW system it's

5000 * 1.47
    /
    Xm^2

?

Thanks

No idea, just a factor they use in the BER formula, you are correct in that formula as you laid it out e.g. 5,000 x 1.47 / 185m2 = 39.7 energy reduction per m2 if your house is 185m2

No idea, just a factor they use in the BER formula, you are correct in that formula as you laid it out e.g. 5,000 x 1.47 / 185m2 = 39.7 energy reduction per m2 if your house is 185m2

Perfect, thanks. Should jump as much as 3 notches going by the most recent rating.

• Advertisement

Nice one, I've been trying to figure out if my additional 4kw of panels moved me up a notch and your calculation is saying it does.

4000 x 1.47 / 320= 18.375
    132.09(B3)-18.375= 113.715(B2).

I think a heat pump might have to be the next thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Well I got my BER done just this week and went from C1 to A2 due to the 7kws of panels alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

SD_DRACULA wrote: »
    Well I got my BER done just this week and went from C1 to A2 due to the 7kws of panels alone.

And your house price has just gone up and by more than you paid for the system.
    Sound investment, nice one.

Our house was C3 and now B2, I could get an A rating by upgrading the oil boiler but I cant be arsed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Getting quotes at the moment. Looking at a 6kW system with 4.8kW battery and hot water diverter. We have the option of additional panels for very little extra that would bring it to 6.6 or 6.8kW. I had heard 6 or 6.5kW mentioned as the upper limit for connecting to the grid on single phase, just worried if we get a slightly bigger system will this be a problem? Sorry for the question if this has been answered elsewhere.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Zzippy wrote: »
    Getting quotes at the moment. Looking at a 6kW system with 4.8kW battery and hot water diverter. We have the option of additional panels for very little extra that would bring it to 6.6 or 6.8kW. I had heard 6 or 6.5kW mentioned as the upper limit for connecting to the grid on single phase, just worried if we get a slightly bigger system will this be a problem? Sorry for the question if this has been answered elsewhere.

Its 6kw on the inverter side.

you can oversize the panels eg i have 8kw on a 6kw inverter. You could end up with a curve with a flat top, when the inverter is maxed out but on the less than good days you will be generating more power.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Its 6kw on the inverter side.

you can oversize the panels eg i have 8kw on a 6kw inverter. You could end up with a curve with a flat top, when the inverter is maxed out but on the less than good days you will be generating more power.

OK, so once the inverter is 6k max we're fine? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Hi folks, has anyone had an issue with connection problems between the hub and the eddi. I just have a question mark (?) beside the Hub when I go into linked devices on the Eddi. It’s a myenergi system. I tried changing the channel on the hub and the Eddi but it hasn’t fixed it. The solar PV system still seems to be working fine anyway generating electricity and heating the water but the link to the hub and the myenergi App I can’t fix.

ParkRunner wrote: »
    Hi folks, has anyone had an issue with connection problems between the hub and the eddi. I just have a question mark (?) beside the Hub when I go into linked devices on the Eddi. It’s a myenergi system. I tried changing the channel on the hub and the Eddi but it hasn’t fixed it. The solar PV system still seems to be working fine anyway generating electricity and heating the water but the link to the hub and the myenergi App I can’t fix.

How far are they apart ? Remember, these use radio communication and not wifi, so it was implemented with the intention of covering longer distances

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

championc wrote: »
    How far are they apart ? Remember, these use radio communication and not wifi, so it was implemented with the intention of covering longer distances

They’re about 15 metres apart. Worked fine for the last two months. The app is displaying the same figures morning, noon and night i.e. 4.6kwh generation, which obviously isn’t right.

• Advertisement

Something serious wrong there. It should easily work up to 30m and beyond

The current firmware versions are:
    hub 3.051 10/01/2021
    eddi 3.048 10/11/2020
    zappi v1 3.101 27/11/2020
    zappi v2 3.119 11/05/2021
    app 1.6.6 01/03/2021

Advertisement