Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 D.flynn

Hi All,

I have a quick question on hot water diverters and the immersions ye have. I don't have PV yet, still in the research phase so expect a large post in the near future.

From what I have read on Boards so far, it sounds like people have a standard HW cylinder with the immersion installed. I'm wondering if anyone has a willis heater as seen in the image below, and how do they find it.}

A brief description for those who arent familiar. The willis heater is a small unit (think thermos flask size) that is installed externally to the cylinder. It has a standard 2-3Kw element installed, but does not need to run as long as an standard immersion to provide HW. As this is a large element for such a small volume of water, it heats up rapidly. The natural convection of hot water means that it will exit the top of the willis heater and begin displacing colder water at the top of the tank while drawing the coldest water from the bottom of the tank.

When I first installed one, the cylinder had to be drained thus my initial test was performed with a tank of stone cold water. I pressed the timer button for 15minutes and tidied up after the works. when the timer elapsed, I ran all the hot water I had into the bath to see, and managed to get 2 inches of boiling water before it started to cool(but was still hot)

I don't mean ti hijack a thread, but was just wondering if people have this installed with PV and does it work out better or worse.

P.s. for anyone looking at getting this (PV or not), it might not work well if you have a secondary return fitted (depending on plumbing)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

My quandary continues……

somehow the battery drained to 0% early this morning!!!!

I had a quick look and the charge limit was set at 100amps and the discharge limit was set at 0amps!!! Though I didn’t adjust this at all yesterday!!! I’ve just increased the discharge limit from 0amps to 10amps to see if that solves it.

I should have just touched feck all!!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

A PV diverter would run the Willis heater just like the switch does (just on a slower scale)

A Willis puts the water very hot. As you said it takes the cold water heats it and puts it in the top.

Would you consider a themostatic anti scald valve coming out of your tank after the Willis. That would mix some cold with the hot so the max temp coming out of the tank will only be what you set it at. (Also uses less hot water)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Somewhere in the battery settings there is an option called Overdischarge this is what the battery % can discharge to, I set this to 12% because with 10% I found the battery kept on using grid to get back to 20% then drain and so on.

There is also a force charge % which should be 10% to make sure it doesn't dip below that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

Sounds like the BMS in the battery pack is actively changing values.

You need to look at the values when the battery is fuller.

And I would suggest that you set a schedule to stop it discharging between 23:00 and 08:00 if you are on a day / night tariff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

The first screen is for time charge and the limits only apply during scheduled charging/discharging

The second screen si showing that your discharge limit is only 8amps which is 424W at 53 volts. I do not think this is a temperature thing as it would limit both charge and discharge. Got to battery select and see what discharge limit is set

• Registered Users Posts: 36 D.flynn

You think it would be slower ?

If so, I still have the other internal immersion in situ, so could dedicate that to a diverter if needed.

On another note, is the 2020quotes thread the best place for research for a DIY install ?

I'd hate to start another thread asking similar questions, but will finish that thread and this one first.

@AndyBoBandy Ignore my last post. On the second screen change from 8Amps to 65Amps to match charge and report back if you see changes in discharge rates.

this is the only screen where I see timers, so which one of these would be to stop it discharging during night rate hours? (I have a day/night meter)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

i feel like this needs a zoom call!

• Advertisement

The Discharge Limitation is 8 amps, and no matter what I set it to, as soon as I save it and go straight back in, it defaults back to 8 amps!!!

You need to go to Battery select and click into the what ever battery is set and then it shows up if I remember.

The menus aren't the greatest.

Try this, select another battery from the list, save then go back in and select the correct battery, maybe it will reapply the correct settings.

@AndyBoBandy as long as discharge total time is set to 00:00 it should not discharge. To be sure you can also set discharge limit to 0Amps on timers. The screen that you have below will not charge or discharge as it is set to stop and also total time is 0

Now for the discharge limit reverting back to 8Amps can you tell me what battery profile is selected under battery select? You should have multiple options. The battery profile defines control parameters.

@yankinlk Zoom would definitely help. The thing is this should be fixed by installer. Unfortunately we've seem multiple instance on this forum how 'good' some installers are :(

I'll have a look in the battery select menu,

buy on the discharge limitation, no matter what I set it to it always defaults back to 8 amps!!

I'll try again and set it to 100amps and see if it sticks!

By the way if it's a puredrive, the first battery they installed was DOA for me, just wouldn't work and had to be replaced.

Only thing can be tried is update FW on inverter to latest, maybe battery has its own FW, if settings are correct on the inverter I'd say it needs replacing, not much that can be done with the battery it either works or it doesn't

But the fact you had it working for a while it sort of points to inverter settings.

Did you power cycle the inverter also?

I’ve changed the discharge timer to 8am - 11pm, and also set it to ‘Run’

is this correct?

When I go into the battery select, I only see the following options;

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

No. This will discharge at a constant rate of 50A until the battery is flat. Revert that setting ASAP.

I went back into the storage setting and it appears the Discharge Limitation is now at 100amps… I didn’t change this since I last saw it at 8 amps!! So something must have clicked inside to ‘fix this’

• Advertisement

I noticed that 100% of solar generation was going straight to the battery, and the house is running off the grid…. Would this be the system simply forcing all solar into the battery 1st to get it back to 10% SoC?

Happy days. Well just see now if it does discharge at higher rate than before

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Quite possibly. Leave it charge for a few hours and lets see what happens when battery is fuller.

OK, so set the timers to 00 across the board? and also change from 'Run' to "Stop'?

I you do not night charge then set it to stop and set to 00

Ok, I’ve done that. All set to zero & ‘Stop’

thebSolar ge generating a decent amount now, and it’s all still going into the battery, so presumably it’s doing this to get SoC% back up to 20% and will then start feeding the house again…. Hopefully!!

Looks like I’m sorted…

checked and battery was at 24%, Solar was running the house and excess going to the battery.

came down and boiled the kettle, and MyEnergi app showed the house using 3kW (all from Solar + Battery, and none from grid)…. (Solar currently generating about 1kW)

Happy days and many thanks for all the help and support.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Here prob is the best for a diy install (or even your own thread to keep things organised. There's not been many threads on diy installs.

As for the Willis and diverting PV. "Slower" is the wrong term!

As the immersion diverters can regulate the power sent to the immersion.

If you have 1000 w of excess only 1000w will be used by the diverter. Then the Willis would be running at about 1/3 slower.

But if your in mid summer you could have 3+kw of excess and then the Willis will be running flat out.

Would recommend getting an anti scald valve for the tank if there's little ones about. As you said the water was very hot at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I agree - but Andy and I had the SAME installer :) :) i think its PBKAC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It should be fixed by the installer but we don't know if the installer has been contacted.

Advertisement