Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Thats a result. I got a green mortgage from AIB because of my ber rating of B2. It would be definitely worth looking at if you have a mortgage. I had to move from Ulster bank anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭paulbok

That wasn't something I was aware of but the assessor pointed it out, once it's B3 or better, that it could be worthwhile looking at our mortgage rates.

Could be a saving there to be made to add to the ROI figures and bring down the length of payback. Even €15 a month would knock a year off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

It worked out very well for us. 3.6% with ulster Bank to 2.15% with the AIB Green mortgage. €500 a month saving. So ROI has been slashed to 3 years form 10 years.

I couldn't have go that without solar pv. Happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I did the same recently, took 7 years off the mortgage without changing the monthly payments by going to the AIB green mortgage but be quick about there is an imminent rate hike coming for all banks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Getting very off topic, but worth shopping around too. The green mortgages are good, but I switched to Avant last month for 2.05% fixed for 7 years on a non-green rate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Nice, what size system do you have?

I'm convinced my BER could have been higher but the guy was only really interested in the Solar PV system... I mentioned that all lights are LED, and he said no, some aren't!!! which was news to me as every bulb in my house is a Philips smart LED bulb!! So I had him correct his notes. He also wasn't interested in the new composite door I had installed, which replaced a draft wooden door that was there the last time the house was BER assessed!

I went from C3 down to B3 with 5.78kWp & a 5kWh battery

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Did you have u value certificates for the new door? If you don't, they have to enter default values for a building constructed during that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

I had same issue with BER assessor. I spent more than €500 on LED bulbs when i moved into this house, hunted down even some obscure cabinet LED's and he put "less then 50% LED". When I challenged the report he just said he noted some 'high power' bulbs that weren't LED. I was fuming but he refused to change the report = saying it made 'very little difference'.

I didn't have that to hand, and am not sure I even had one when the door was installed, but when I mentioned about the upgraded door, he just said it makes no difference and dismissed it.

I can say it made a hell of a real world difference as it effectively sealed up the last great draught in the house!! The wind used to howl in around the door!! Now it feels almost airtight.

6.84KWp with 4.8kWh battery. wasn't expecting it to jump it that much, but just as well. apart from relatively small money to increase the attic insulation to 300mm, everything else that would improve the rating would take huge money, even with the new grants, so not really a runner. Hope to build an extension to the house in ~5 years time so will re-evaluate everything then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

@AndyBoBandy mind if I ask how much the composite door set you back? And a pic if you have one.

I'm in a similar boat, the wind is savage up here and both front & back door have terrible draft problems.

I'm burning nearly 400L of oil a month from November to February.

Luckily I found the invoice from them in my inbox, from March 2018, and I paid €1,850 all in. Made an unbelievable difference as I'm on the coast, and the wind would howl in at times.

It was from McMahon & Nagle in Swords (next door to Marine Parts).

edit: don’t know why it’s sideways!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,431 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

FYI, a battery makes no difference to the BER calculation.

That was a hell of a jump by the way. We jumped 3 notches on a similar sized system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Just noticed this evening, something is not right. Nothing since the beginning of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Yes just saw on bonkers.ie this evening that Havan are doing a 4 year fixed rate of 2.0% green mortgage for B3 or higher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

Maybe it's just your logging has failed. I would suggest trying to look at the inverter itself to verify. Hopefully it hasn't been dead due to a tripped MCB.

I have a planned power cut tomorrow (becoming quite regular which is annoying), and I have a storage battery with a socket located next to it.

Is there any trick to getting a Solis 6kW Hybrid Invertor to output power to teh emergency socket?

I tried it before as a test, but it didn't seem to work, so perhaps I didn't do something to activate the aux power..

Edit: just tried again there and Enabled Backup Mode, and it worked (tried it with a phone charger)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Guys

I finished putting a lean too in and my question is

Do you think it would be ok do place the inverter and 2 x 5kw batteries on this back board (switches etc)

I rang the UK about the batteries (puredrive) and they said no problem. I know how cold it gets out there but I'm just wondering what's best..any suggestions would be welcomed 👍👍

Ps my consumer unit is only a couple of feet away from the back board also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Don't see why not once it is secured to the wall properly.

Just make sure to use heavy duty concrete bolts and go through the board when mounting the brackets for the batteries, the puredrives are 60kg monsters.

Power has been off since 9:30 this morning due to a planned outage (expected back by 4:30pm).

Battery (5kWh) was at 88% when the power went. I’ve run some extensions to both our offices (laptop, dock & 2 monitors per office), and then an extension down to the living room where the modem is, and all is working great!!! Drawing about 188 watts….

checked the battery after 1 hour and it was down to 84%

Battery for the win!!

• Advertisement

Next time I've an electrician in, I'm getting him to add a double socket connected back from the backup feed from the inverter, to the two offices, so we can move all the desk equipment to that in the event of a blackout. Another in the storeroom beside the inverter itseld to run a lead for anything else (eg kettle). Too difficult to run anything to the main house as backup.

Yeah I've had to use about 6-7 extension leads daisy chained and then T'd off to each office (less than 200w total draw so no issue), so it would be nice to have a back up system with sockets in each office, as well as maybe the living room & kitchen, but would it be overkill for once in blue moon events (for me anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I have a cable reel, but only with 2 sockets on it, the only thing is I needed power in 3 completely separate locations, and all fed from the attic.

Attic down to landing, then split 3 ways, to her office, my office, and then the cable reel went down to the living room where the modem is.

I could probably get away with 3 cable reel's, but I'm hoping it won't be too regular an occurrence..

It was on "all on grid", should it have been "self consumption"?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

SD Dracula - 8 express nails through panel and into wall

Thanks for the advice

👍👍

Up and going again. My app is Solarman Smart. How do I see what free capacity I have to add 1 or 2 panels? When it was installed I was told that it could take 1 maybe 2 additional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Not sure the app will tell you that directly. How many panels you have currently and in what configuration? A string can hold 12 panels (13 at an absolute push).

• Advertisement

10 panel currently. In one row.

Advertisement