Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daughy

championc wrote: »
    Do you get much output from the east ? I'm assuming your Wests are unhindered all day but your East are only able to work for what - 5 hours ??.

Personally, I'd fit your East and optimizers and go all in on south and west. If you insist keeping the East, I'd go East on one and South + West on the other, with maybe your optimizers on the south if it will be shaded at all
    The output from the east is poor, I can only put it down to the install happening at the middle of August, and winter coming.
    I'm guessing when the sprimg/summer roles around the sun will rise at let's say 5am,so it will hit the east with alot more exposure.
    Itl actually save on cabling as the shed has the inverter in it and the west panels will have a short run to the inverter.
    Tnx guys, I appreciate your help as usual

OK guys I just have 1 more question.. Sorry guys,
    I'l have 10, 350W panels on 1 string, totalling 40 volts open circuit, so 400 volts.
    My only issue is my inverter can only take a maximum of 600 volts, the second string I hope will have 6, 350s, 40 volts each, 240 volts,
    Both strings together will be 640 volts.
    I could play it safe and just have 5, 40 volt panels, 200. To make the 600 volts,
    Has anyone overvolted an inverter?
    It's an expensive mistake of I try it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭championc

@daughy

Right, how many hours a day COULD sunshine hit your West location ? I'm assuming that you have nothing to block them at any part of the day. So why would you keep panels in the East which will only get a half days output ?

I would be more inclined to have east on it's own string and then South + West on another, and have no optimizers

How many people are home cooking dinners in the evening followed by electric showers compared to home making lunches at midday.
    There's good reasons for a west hang.

Some people use a high proportion of power in the morning too...I wouldn't know much about that.

Remeber the power you use as it is being generated is always the most efficient and useful.

East and west oversized will hold it's own against South...especially if nobody's home in the daytime. South only makes sense for a lottov people when there's a FIT.

I like to have it all and hang horizontal.

• Advertisement

daughy wrote: »
    if I just put 5 panels on the shed I'll have to buy another inverter and hire electrician to wire it up to the main board, plus more dc circuit breakers

Seems like the best plan. You can pick up a GTI for €80 used. Mine's on a 13A plug, it started that way because I was lazy, stayed that way because it was so handy and I like plugging it into different things. It does have a DC isolator...I put MC4 on it.

SMA are pretty good and the older ones go for next to nothing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That. I have a single east facing panel myself which is connected at the moment to a cheap max 300W GTI (with anti-islanding I hasten to add). With a plug too :D

Deleted last post...you can overload the wiring that way. Little naughty.
    I ought swap the MCB for dual source input if that's an issue but it's wayyyy over-spec-ed. (10mm² feeder on 20A MCB)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭chickey

Looking for help setting up monitoring. Have solar panels installed through electric Ireland. Hadn't broadband when installed, contractor left gateway and 2 smart plugs and was meant to an app at time. The gateway is sercomm multiple rf. Can attach to laptop and mobile but not sure what ip address I need, google brings up manual with one that doesn't work. Also previously when I contacted electric ireland support they said they didn't have an app in use

Any help welcome. Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

chickey wrote: »
    Looking for help setting up monitoring. Have solar panels installed through electric Ireland. Hadn't broadband when installed, contractor left gateway and 2 smart plugs and was meant to an app at time. The gateway is sercomm multiple rf. Can attach to laptop and mobile but not sure what ip address I need, google brings up manual with one that doesn't work. Also previously when I contacted electric ireland support they said they didn't have an app in use

Post some pictures of what you have so we might know what your dealing with.

• Advertisement

graememk wrote: »
    Post some pictures of what you have so we might know what your dealing with.

Tried on 1st, trying again

Tried on 1st, trying again
    I had issues with uploading pictures, it says they have to be 4mb,had to use a compressor from the android store, wasn't great, if you can change your camera resolution that might lower the MB.
    I don't understand though, they installed solar panels for you. What type of inverter did they install? Does it have the option to access WiFi?
    Did electric ireland install CT clamps on your main circuit breaker board? Did they not help you with a demo after install?
    My understanding of smart plugs are just wifi on off switches, the gateway seems like it just connects to your Internet. More info might help?

Just a quick Google of that gateway is, that is uses zigbee and Z-wave, there for smart home appliances like heating controls, lights, other things.
    I don't see how this gateway monitors the solar unless it comes with zigbee or Zwave enabled grid monitoring hardware for your main circuit board.
    Underneath the gateway should be a printed ip address?
    If not you can attach it to your pc via USB if it has that option and open cmd on your pc and get a list of ip addresses connected.
    If the USB isn't available you will have to connect the gateway through ethernet to your router and get a list of ip addresses on your network?

Ipconfig will give you a list of ip addresses on your network, the fastest way to find the gateways is to type Ipconfig in cmd, get the list of ip addresses, take a note of them, then connect the gateway with the ethernet and type Ipconfig again and see the new ip address that shows up. That will be your gateway,
    When you have that open Google and in the search bar up top, type that ip address to log I to the router, the manual should have given you the up address to log in to anyway?

This is a quick tutorial on finding the ip address

https://youtu.be/CRmhFFLJ654

Hope this helps, anyone else with networking skills can chime in here to help, there should be a portal also to monitor your solar? Check with the manual. They might not have an app yet but they should have an Internet portal

Tried lower resolution on phone

Not a good idea to take pics of the underneath of your gateway or router, are you able to connect to it though. You should delete that picture.
    Also don't post your ip address etc. There just for you.

Pic deleted thanks, didn't get connected, might yet again. There is a check meter thing on fuse board which blinks red when generating so have some idea what's happening anyway

Pic deleted thanks, didn't get connected, might yet again. There is a check meter thing on fuse board which blinks red when generating so have some idea what's happening anyway
    Well that's a start, them types of pictures are fine, that would actually be beneficial to see what is connected to the main fuse board.
    I'm Surprised at electric ireland, I thought they would be more helpful.
    Anyway, the guys here in the forum are very helpful, we will do our best to get you going.
    The gateway is your way of connected your smart things,electric ireland must have connected CT clamps to your main board, and the gateway receives the info. Not to worry though, will sort it.

I dunno what the attraction to combining RE and the cloud is.
    Internet has no place beside a battery imo.

I like these things.

0KE41lA.jpg

Displaying power in + power out (synchronised sets)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭irishchris

Got mine installed just over a week ago. Had some good days weather to test since and just wondering what the max wattage from 2.88kw panels should be with losses etc. Only looking for rough figure here as know it is impossible to give exact. Getting steady 2.1kw most days with sometimes reaching 2.3kw. would this be the maximum as just wondering if my 2.5kw inverter is throttling that or not?

irishchris wrote: »
    Got mine installed just over a week ago. Had some good days weather to test since and just wondering what the max wattage from 2.88kw panels should be with losses etc. Only looking for rough figure here as know it is impossible to give exact. Getting steady 2.1kw most days with sometimes reaching 2.3kw. would this be the maximum as just wondering if my 2.5kw inverter is throttling that or not?
    Its hard to say in these conditions, the weather has been pretty awful the last 2 weeks, but your inverter should have data logging your activity, if not keep an eye on the voltage and amperage to the inverter.
    Depending on your array setup, east, west, south, your not doing to bad getting 2.3kw from a 2.8kw array, you will see a significant difference when the good weather rolls in.
    My own inverter has losses when going from dc to ac can be 100 watts at times. Today looks good for solar, check your volts going to the inverter to make sure there all working.
    The amount of panels you have times to volts.
    If you have a 2.8kw array, let's say each panel. Is 280 watts, that's 10 panels, if the open circuit voltage is 40 volts, that's 10x40=400 volts
    That's just an estimate, your panels might be different in voltage, under load they might be hitting 300 to 350 volts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

I have been thinking about charging the battery at night on the cheep rate to have it full for use during the day.
    Was only planning to do this during the bad winter months.
    I have a Solis 5kw wit a 7 kw BYD battery.
    My thinking is have it full for the morning and if its a good day the the water will heat via the Iboost.

Any thoughts would be welcome, good or bad.

Cheers

• Advertisement

2.3 from 2.9 could actually be considered good. It's down to the angle of your roof slope vs the height of the sun in the sky. So this best figure at your solar noon will decrease gradually as the sun gets lower and lower each day.

It's a pity you didn't get a larger inverter, only from the point of view that you could, in years to come, swap your existing panels with ones of higher output. Based on hitting 2.3 too at this time of year, it sounds like you have a reasonably steep roof angle and therefore could exceed 2.5 output easily in May to July. I'm surprised your installer made such a tight call since there would be feck all different in price between a 2.5 and even 3.5 inverter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Okay, when I do have my 2kW system without battery installed in a few weeks, is there any negative to requesting my electricity supplier to replace my 24hr tariff meter with a night saver meter?

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    I have been thinking about charging the battery at night on the cheep rate to have it full for use during the day.
    Was only planning to do this during the bad winter months.
    I have a Solis 5kw wit a 7 kw BYD battery.
    My thinking is have it full for the morning and if its a good day the the water will heat via the Iboost.

Any thoughts would be welcome, good or bad.

Cheers

Not a bad idea if you actually plan to use the water. Charge it to whatever level, on a poorish day, would get you through to midnight. So you might go to 80% this month. You then have a gap which you can fill and, if you set charging from 00:00 to 09:00, you'll have saved on the amount needed to get back up to 80% the following evening. So arriving at midnight with 20% remaining means then only a topup of 60%.

What you don't want to be doing is discharging night rate bought power during the following nights night rate period, since that will actually cost you money (due to losses in conversation).

So it's important that anyone with batteries ensures that you really do not discharge battery stored power during night rate hours, if you want to maximize your savings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭irishchris

championc wrote: »
    2.3 from 2.9 could actually be considered good. It's down to the angle of your roof slope vs the height of the sun in the sky. So this best figure at your solar noon will decrease gradually as the sun gets lower and lower each day.

It's a pity you didn't get a larger inverter, only from the point of view that you could, in years to come, swap your existing panels with ones of higher output. Based on hitting 2.3 too at this time of year, it sounds like you have a reasonably steep roof angle and therefore could exceed 2.5 output easily in May to July. I'm surprised your installer made such a tight call since there would be feck all different in price between a 2.5 and even 3.5 inverter

It's about 40-45 degree slope with all panels facing south west-West. It's a shame the installer wouldn't agree to larger inverter alright but only installed this one which takes up to 3kw max wattage.

Plan in longer term is to self install a South facing ground mounted 3kw system with separate inverter in order to take advantage of earlier pv power as mine doesn't start producing properly until around 12pm

It's about 40-45 degree slope with all panels facing south west-West. It's a shame the installer wouldn't agree to larger inverter alright but only installed this one which takes up to 3kw max wattage.

Plan in longer term is to self install a South facing ground mounted 3kw system with separate inverter in order to take advantage of earlier pv power as mine doesn't start producing properly until around 12pm

So he'll cover the warranty if it blows !!! Sounds like he had a spare inverter he needed to shift

I personally would send an email to the inverter manufacturer to strong arm your installer to put in at least a 3.0. at 40 deg slope, you'll be rife for absolute max gains of production in June and July

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Okay, when I do have my 2kW system without battery installed in a few weeks, is there any negative to requesting my electricity supplier to replace my 24hr tariff meter with a night saver meter?

Usually
    Higher standing charge & slightly higher day rate.

Do you know your annual usage currently?

I think the tipping point for a day night meter is 30% of your units to be night.

So putting some loads to run overnight can tip the balance in your favour, ie Dishwasher.

Honestly if I was going to go down the battery charging overnight on the night rate I would prefer at least the tesla power wall size, 13kwh.
    Or more if I could.

Or 16, 200 amp hour agms.
    48 volt 800 amp hour config
    48x800= 38400 watt hours, minus 50% = 19200 watt hours available.
    You may get 16, 200 amp agms for 3.5k euro.
    Your looking at approx 60kg for one of these batteries though.

Or 8 agms.
    48 volt 400 amp.hour config
    48x400=19200 watt hours, minus 50% = 9600 watt hours available.
    Maybe get them for 1.5k,Not sure how much for the install and grant.
    Do you need an energy rating of a C to get a battery grant? I'm not sure.
    For a DIY job I can do this but if I could get a grant I would definitely look into it.

Tesla poowerwalls have 300W internal heaters that maintain a 20°C operating temperature and they'll only mount them outside.
    They also stop working if there's no internet...feckin' joker.

Cars with (not street legal) compressed air thrusters next...:rolleyes:

My next test to to debunk MPPT being significantly better than PWM if you match the solar array to the battery voltage correctly.

PWM is getting it's bottom handed to it as we speak. :o

• Advertisement

Hi Chickey, did you get around to setting up the gateway? I would contact electric ireland and ask for a technician if possible to help you

Advertisement