Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time buying in dublin

Options
  • 02-08-2020 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,

I come seeking advice from those more learned than I.

I am currently looking to buy my first home in or near Dublin City and am nearing wits end . My unfamiliarity with the greater Dublin area means I am rather clueless.

I have rented in Dublin for the last 12 years but in either D4 or Dundrum…neither of which are within my budget to buy.

I have a decent deposit but given LTI rules and the current absence of exceptions my budget is a price of max e280k. Ideally I would be looking at a two bed apartment In turn key condition. I would be nervous about a house given ease of break in etc.

I’m a single girl living alone so safety is a consideration, and I don’t drive or cycle so the location has to be well serviced by public transport. I work on Baggot Street and don’t want to spend more than an hour commuting.

I realise as I write all this that my demands may be too many!

I found an apt In royal canal bank by accident today (9 beacon Magellan crescent) and it seems too good to be true…can anyone advise as to the catch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There is not much in the 280k price range for 2 bed apartments in Dublin 1 to Dublin 8.
    Royal Canal Park is not a bad spot and I believe there is a new train station opening up there at some stage, commuting times to Connolly would be around 15 minutes.

Though I think Ashtown just one stop up the train line is a nicer area as it has the supermarket there, bars, restaurants, cafe, etc. Phoenix Park is only a 5 minute walk away too. Theres 22 2 bed apartments for sale there in around your budget of 280k.
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin-city/apartments-for-sale/ashtown/?s%5Bmxp%5D=300000&s%5Bmnb%5D=2&s%5Bmxb%5D=2

Or you could go further out the same train line to suburbs like Coolmine and Clonsilla and find cheaper prices though at the cost of a longer overall commute.

Do your research how busy the train gets at the times you want to commute. Do a trial run a few times, ask people living locally, etc. Before the virus hit some passengers at stations near to the city had problems getting on as the train was so packed. Its different now but who knows what the future holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Royal Canal Park has Aldi now. Theres also a Cafe tucked away. The LUAS is closer and the new train station will be open next year. The new bridge with the train station improves access to Ashington & the Navan Road.

Theres a lot less difference between the two ends then there used to be.

It's a very tough area to beat location wise. I've lived in Rathborne & RCP since 2014. It's safe, friendly and all the amenities you could want are on the doorstep. I know families with kids living here without a car.

Advertisement