Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting student accom in France, safe way to pay deposit?

Options
  • 03-08-2020 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭

Daughter going to study in france for 3 months and need to rent a flat for her. Have found one through an agency(they dont get involved with payments etc) but need to send 2 months in advance to the landlord to secure. Am I covered by SEPA if I send bank transfer and say, the apartment doesnt exist or something like that when she gets there? Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Hi there,

thanks for getting in touch with us here today.

Once a payment is made on Banking 365 online and this is confirmed using the 3 digits of your banking 365 pin there is no way for the bank to cancel the payment. The bank can request a recall of the payment, however it is important to know that a recall request does not guarantee the return of funds to your account.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Jen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

Hi there,

Once a payment is made on Banking 365 online and this is confirmed using the 3 digits of your banking 365 pin there is no way for the bank to cancel the payment. The bank can request a recall of the payment, however it is important to know that a recall request does not guarantee the return of funds to your account.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Jen
    Thanks for the reply. So is there any safe-ish way to make payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

Hi there,

I hope this helps.

Thanks Jen
    Thanks for the reply. So is there any safe-ish way to make payment?
    Also, just out of curiosity, does SEPA not give you some security when used to make a payment via ban transfer to another EU SEPA bank? (I was def under the impression that it did as when I made payments to countries outside of the EU via bank transfer, I was advised that because they were outside of EU and were therefore not covered by sepa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Rimmy

People get scammed by this think all of the time. Personally wouldn't be handing over money until I was physically in the place and handed a key.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Daughter going to study in france for 3 months and need to rent a flat for her. Have found one through an agency(they dont get involved with payments etc) but need to send 2 months in advance to the landlord to secure. Am I covered by SEPA if I send bank transfer and say, the apartment doesnt exist or something like that when she gets there? Many thanks

I have just rented an apartment for two months in Spain. Similar setup to you. I found it online and had to pay upfront.

I done a bit of background checking first before I transferred any money.

Ask them for proof of either ownership or licence to rent or something similar. Here in Spain you have an official document saying you're allowed to rent the property.

• Advertisement
Advertisement