Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best laptop technician in Cork? Looking for somebody to repaste my CPU.

Options
  • 03-08-2020 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

So who's the best out there for a repasting job? Recommendations?

Cork city and surroundings. E.g. I would go to Wilton, Douglas etc.

For the future comments:

I know I can do it myself with a youtube tutorial, I don't want to as I've never done it before.

Yes I know it's easy, but want to pay a pro to do it.

Yes I know it's a waste of money, but I couldn't be arsed doing it myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

What make and model is your laptop ? As you know some laptops you can’t get the cpu out of the motherboard and what’s the reason to repaste it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

What make and model is your laptop ? As you know some laptops you can’t get the cpu out of the motherboard and what’s the reason to repaste it ?

Dell precision 5520. It's definitely repaste-able.

Reason for repasting is thermal throttling during gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Dell precision 5520. It's definitely repaste-able.

Reason for repasting is thermal throttling during gaming.

Before you potentially waste money, are you sure the issue is degradation of the thermal conductivity between CPU and heat sink? The 5520 looks to have 7th gen CPUs so it’s, what, 2-3 years old? You may just be observing the gradual drift upwards in power consumption as CPUs get older. If I’m correctly remembering the topic of a conference presentation a number of years ago, this is a drift that accelerates as a CPU is coming to end of life.

cantalach wrote: »
    Before you potentially waste money, are you sure the issue is degradation of the thermal conductivity between CPU and heat sink? The 5520 looks to have 7th gen CPUs so it’s, what, 2-3 years old? You may just be observing the gradual drift upwards in power consumption as CPUs get older. If I’m correctly remembering the topic of a conference presentation a number of years ago, this is a drift that accelerates as a CPU is coming to end of life.

That may be a part of the cause. But anyway I got it repasted. Gaming temps were in the mid 80s, now they're mid 60s. No thermal throttling anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

That may be a part of the cause. But anyway I got it repasted. Gaming temps were in the mid 80s, now they're mid 60s. No thermal throttling anymore.

That’s good to know! Where did you get that done?

• Advertisement

Some random cork guy on reddit just messaged me and said he'd do it for a small fee.

Report back with his workmanship so! How hot the repasted cpu runs now etc.

Report back with his workmanship so! How hot the repasted cpu runs now etc.

I already did above.

Advertisement