Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Commute Times

Options
  • 03-08-2020 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

I need to get from Dun Laoghaire to Smithfield for 9am tomorrow and am wondering if anyone has done a similar commute recently and if so, how long is it taking? I've heard traffic is way down on normal levels so finiding it hard to judge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

pm1977x wrote: »
    I need to get from Dun Laoghaire to Smithfield for 9am tomorrow and am wondering if anyone has done a similar commute recently and if so, how long is it taking? I've heard traffic is way down on normal levels so finiding it hard to judge.

Traffic is pretty much back to normal so if you've done it at that time pre Covid I'd allow at least that much time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

For anyone interested it was very quiet on the roads, I left at 7.50 and was in Smithfield at 8.25, approx 30mins sooner than I expected, pulled in and listened to the radio to kill time, so less stressful!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Caranica wrote: »
    Traffic is pretty much back to normal so if you've done it at that time pre Covid I'd allow at least that much time again.

I’m sorry but this is utter nonsense.

Have you travelled into the city centre for pre-09:00?

Traffic is nowhere near normal levels travelling into the city centre in the morning peak. Yes schools and colleges are off, but the numbers of office workers who are working from home means that there is very little traffic .

It’s a minor fraction of what it was before.

Buses are taking 35 minutes to do a journey that pre-Covid was taking over an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

LXFlyer wrote: »

Agree. As someone who lives in the city centre, I can tell you traffic is not a fraction near pre-covid levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

I picked up a fare in Killinarden,the far side of Tallaght,going to Connolly station at 8.05 the other morning.Easily 1hr to 1.20 pre Covid .
    24 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

LXFlyer wrote: »

Traffic is nowhere near normal levels travelling into the city centre in the morning peak. Yes schools and colleges are off, but the numbers of office workers who are working from home means that there is very little traffic .

It’s a minor fraction of what it was before.

Buses are taking 35 minutes to do a journey that pre-Covid was taking over an hour.

Coming in and out the N3 it's definitely close to pre Covid levels. Coming out is worse than I am remember it pre Covid, took me 90 minutes from Gardiner Street to Blanchardstown at 4pm in the evening recently (no accidents just volume)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Coming in and out the N3 it's definitely close to pre Covid levels. Coming out is worse than I am remember it pre Covid, took me 90 minutes from Gardiner Street to Blanchardstown at 4pm in the evening recently (no accidents just volume)
    Traffic light timings have changed to the detriment of drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There a few specific spots that are closer to old levels. I'm mostly back to the train but when I've driven; its mostly extremely quiet inside the canals and quiet within the M50 but the M50 and the N/M roads radiating away are busier than you'd expect.

The question asked about travelling into the city centre in the mornings.

The main routes into the city prior to 09:00 are dead by comparison with last year.

The vast majority of office workers in the city centre are working from home. Retail staff aren’t in till later now.

In the afternoon and evenings things pick up as the shops are open and people are out and about.

Routes in the suburbs will be busier as many companies will be operating and more jobs are of a nature that cannot work from home.

But there is nothing like the same volume as this time last summer on the roads into the city centre prior to 09:00.

I’m not imagining the fact that my bus is taking 30 minutes less to travel into town, so please don’t tell me otherwise.

The essential worker commute time is mainly pre-08:00 and returning about 15:00-16:00 which means a shift in the peaks as well.

Times have definitely changed!

I’ve attached two photos taken this morning just around 08:15 of Rathgar Road and Rathmines Road.

These are not even close to normal pre-Covid traffic levels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Canal cordon traffic is at around 80% of pre-COVID levels but it's not even around Dublin. Some roads are closer to pre-COVID traffic than others, there's more to traffic than the canal cordon and not everyone is travelling at rush hour.

UWQFNgZ.jpg

ImKgcVL.jpg

Peregrine wrote: »
    Canal cordon traffic is at around 80% of pre-COVID levels but it's not even around Dublin. Some roads are closer to pre-COVID traffic than others, there's more to traffic than the canal cordon and not everyone is travelling at rush hour.

A report on RTE News last Friday analysed those figures a little:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0807/1157915-dublin-traffic/

There clearly has been a shift in timings for traffic into the canal cordon, which I suspect is now spread out more through the day.

But given that the prime focus of our public transport has been to get people to work along the radial routes with capacity focussed on pre-09:00 arrivals within the canal cordon, it will be very interesting to see how this develops.

Advertisement