Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Half Marathon, sher we'll see how we go

Options
  • 03-08-2020 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi everyone,:)

First time poster here but long time reader.

I'm a 26 year old not long back from Australia, planning to run the Causeway Coast Half-Marathon, on the 26th of September at 12.30pm, after a friend suggested it the other day.

I know I'm cutting it a bit tight with 8 weeks until race day, but not too worried about times etc. and just want to get it done if I can.

Hoping to follow the Hal Giddon Novice 1 plan(if a little condensed -

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/half-marathon-training/novice-1-half-marathon/.)

It's probably not great timing as I am starting a new job in the next few weeks and moving to Galway, but I'd be one to always find some sort of excuse not to.:rolleyes:

Background wise, I enjoy swimming, I would usually swim 1000m once a week, I am a big fella at 6foot4 and 95kg, but in good shape and have always been keen on getting to the gym 3 times a week up until lockdown. Running wise I did some cross-country during school but was pretty average and it has played second fiddle to strength work for a number of years. I played senior hurling up until I was 24 when I started to cut back after turning up to work with a few broken fingers(boss wasn't impressed).

During lockdown in Oz I began running 5kms, I would average around 24minutes with a PB of around 23.30. Pace-7.42/mile.
    And then started to run a 10km once a week, usually around 52.30-54minutes, Pace- 8.25/Mile. I think I could run these faster though.

My half marathon pace goal is around 8.3/mile, just a little faster than my slow run paces.

I have a fitbit ionic connected to strava and I find that interesting for looking back on runs etc. I also bought a pair of New Balance W880K back in May.

(If for whatever reason I can't get up to Derry, such as being schedueled to work, I will do the Galway Bay Half the following week).:)

Any advice, criticism,humour at my expense or support more than welcome.

Very much a novice, and all running knowledge is sketechy at best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jwof2006

Ran my first 3 miles as per the programme there today, I felt quite sluggish, but have been quite sedentary over the past few weeks between isolating etc.

Also took quite a few wrong turns on the circuit around UCD due to all the recent developments!

Average pace was 8.30, which is slower than I'd hope for, I'll hopefully be able to speed this up over the next few runs, but I guess in terms of longer runs it is a pace that I would be pretty happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

How have you arrived at the HM goal pace? Your 5k time suggests 8:15 would be an appropriate target. The big issue for you will be building the endurance to sustain that pace. This will involve training at the correct pace to encourage the necessary adaptations. The run you just did was relatively fast - too fast for the easy runs that make up the bulk of your plan - these should be done at more like 9:30-10:30 pace according to your current fitness (if that 5k time is a good reflection). There are plenty of online calculators that will help you with this - https://runsmartproject.com/calculator/ is one example.

Good luck with it!

Thanks Murph_D, really appreciate the advice there. I see what you are saying about slowing down, I was definitely planning on doing the longer runs in the programme at a pace around 9:30, but will start doing one of the two shorter runs each week at that pace now also.

Would I be right in saying that I should still do one of the short runs however at/near race pace?

I guess the goal pace was estimated based on the 10K paces from the past few months, and a fear of running out of steam, but I guess if the endurance work is done correctly over the next few weeks then that shouldn't be as much of a concern.

Thanks for the calculator, I have it bookmarked.

I got the second 3 mile run done this morning, pace was 8:00/mile ( It was before I saw the advice!)
    I will go for a bit of a swim tomorrow, and go for a slow 4 mile run then on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

8 min/mil will get you in around the 1:45 mark

As mentioned above, it is not likely that your endurance and aerobic capacity will be up to that in 8 weeks. What will more than likely happen is that you will set off at 8min/mile and just run out of steam and leave yourself in whole world of anaerobic pain for the last 3-4 miles.

What is the longest run so far?

If I was you I would just focus of building mileage (long slow endurance runs) and not time- too early for that on your first HM. I appreciate that you may not want to hear this but you may need to damp down your expectations.

Personally I am not a great fan of the Higdon plans. Too much going on and a bit heavy.

Cheers partyguinness, thanks for the advice, I think you are right. I will just try to slow things down, and get lots of slower runs done.

I have just started this programme, but in the last few months the furthest I have run is 10K, in the next 8 weeks I am hoping to build up to a 10 mile run the week before the race.

• Advertisement

jwof2006 wrote: »
    Cheers partyguinness, thanks for the advice, I think you are right. I will just try to slow things down, and get lots of slower runs done.

I have just started this programme, but in the last few months the furthest I have run is 10K, in the next 8 weeks I am hoping to build up to a 10 mile run the week before the race.

I realise the notion of slower runs seem counter intitutive when you want to run fast. It is also about time on your feet and getting your body used to it- you will be doubling up the amount of time on your feet.

With you at the moment is that you are primed for 5-10kms and if you set off on a HM with a 10km mentality you will crash and burn. But you have to learn this yourself. We have all been there and it's part of the experience.

You have a very good base to start with- better than most- so it is about building solid aerobic capacity with long slow runs building up to the HM.

Best thing is to follow the programe as best you can and trust it. It is your first and your focus is to finish in good condition. Take the experience and learn from it. That's the great thing about running- it is all about you and you are in control. No team mates letting you down or outside your control.

I know it is pointless saying this but don't worry about the time and remember whatever time you finish will be job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The basic Higdon novice plans are about building mileage and endurance rather than speed - that comes with more structured plans that feature speed sessions, tempo runs, and long runs that involve a bit of 'stuff' - ie harder than just long slow runs. But Higdon won't let you down if you stick to basic instructions - have a read of the notes re how you should pace the runs. I guess, despite this, there's no real harm in doing some of the runs a little faster but the basic principle should be to build time on your feet and ability to run the distance. Good luck!

Thanks again for the input, have taken alot from it.

Last run for this week just completed this afternoon, it was lovely weather for a run.

4.15 miles, up to and around Deer Park in Mount Merrion.

Really enjoyed it, the pace was 9:30, I was delighted with this and it felt very controlled and comfortable, if a bit unusual for the first half mile.

Tuesday-
    3.5mi run around Cappagh park and Barna woods here in Galway. Pace 9:05/mi

Wednesday-
    I joined a new gym and did an hour long core and upper-body session, which included some foam rolling. Also went for a dip at Silverstrand, lovely weather.

Thursday-
    3.5mi run, pace 8.53/mi. I felt a bit stiff around my chest and shoulders from the day before. May have over done it a bit in the gym.

Saturday-
    5 mi run(the longest in the programme so far) around the country roads at the back of Knocknacarra. There is a lovely hurling wall at Newcastle-Rahoon GAA club back there. It felt good, no aches or pains. Pace 9:10/mi.

Hoping to get a bit of a stretch and core session done tomorrow also. Am unsure whether leg strength exercises would be contraindicated when preparing for a run(such as bodyweight squats and lunges)?

The Causeway Coast Half-Marathon is being changed to a different route where social distancing will be more feasible, but you'd wonder if things will go ahead with the current resurgence. Sher we'll see anyway..

Monday- Rest

Tuesday- Went for a hike up Diamond Hill in Conamara.

Wednesday
    - 3.5mile run, 8.51/mi.

Thursday- Rest

Friday- 4mile run, 8.41/mi.

Saturday- 6mile run, 9.10/mi

Sunday
    - Stretch and core session.

• Advertisement

Monday- Rest

Tuesday- 4.5 mile run, 8'45mi pace.

Wednesday- Cross session- 45 minutes in the gym, a little bit of core work and then some upper-body weights.

Thursday- 4.5 mile run, 9'35mi pace

Friday- Rest

Saturday- 7 mile run here this morning. 9'56mi pace. The longest I have ever ran I'd say. Felt good.The balls of my feet are a little bit sore and were before the run. I have insoles, hoping it's just they are not used to the running.

Hopefully get out for a walk tomorrow :) Nearly half way through the programme now.

Sláinte

Monday- Found my left hip flexor a bit sore on Sunday, which was a bit of a concern, as I have had issues with it before. I'll have to keep an eye on it and stretch it a bit in the coming weeks. Rest day.

Tuesday- 4.8 mile run , 8'48/mi average pace.

Wednesday- I went to the gym but didn't stay long, felt very sluggish. I did a 500m row at maximum effort in 1 minute and 29 seconds.

Thursday- Rest

Friday- 4.37 mile run, 9'01/mi pace

Saturday- Rest

Sunday- 8 mile run, 9'13/mi pace

Not a great week running wise, I felt tired as I mentioned above, just glad to have gotten it done. 3 weeks to go!:)

Sunday night was a bit of an all-nighter due to on call commitments at work, and it set the tone for the working week unfortunately!:P

Monday- Went to the gym, and did a full core and upperbody session for an hour or so after work.

Tuesday- Rest. Had hoped to have a day off today for working last weeked, but a colleauge had flu like symptoms:( So I found out I was needed at work (and to be on call Tuesday night) at 0630 that morning. Talk about a sickener. :eek:

Wednesday- 5 mile run, up around the back of Knocknacarra, sun was setting so had to speed it up a bit before it got dark! Pace was 8:10/mi

Thursday- Rest

Friday- Had initially planned to do 5 miles, but decided around the 3 mile mark to keep going and make it the long run for the week as I knew I'd be tired on Sunday! 9miles ran, 9:08/mi pace.

Saturday- Went up to Sligo and climbed a blustery Knocknarea. Then went for a swimming pool dip that evening. Had a few drinks on Saturday night.

Sunday- Visited Glencar waterfall, and did the short hike up to the Devil's Chimney waterfall. Headed for home then and ran 3.5miles here this evening (not the 5 miles planned:(), 9:20/mi pace. Legs feel good and comfortable. A bit bloated today after the drinks last night and a few big meals though.:pac:

Happy with how the week finished, considering it didn't start very well! Mileage a little less than I had hoped for this week but still on an upward trajectory I guess.

The race has been confirmed, and the Causeway Coast Council has given it the go ahead. The location is a little different than anticipated, and will now be along the Benone beach, extending up to where the Foyle meets the ocean.

Week 7 of 8 next week and the most intensive training wise, with two 5 mile runs and a 10 mile run next Sunday.

Is féidir linn

WEEK 7/8

Great week this week.

MONDAY - Rest

TUESDAY- 5mile run, pace- 9:16/mi

WEDNESDAY- Foam rolling, stretch and some core work.

THURSDAY- 5mile run, pace - 9:16/mi, the same pace as Tuesday on the very same route!

FRIDAY- Rest

SATURDAY- Short walk with the dogs.

SUNDAY- 10 mile run! Pace 9:46/mi. Feeling good here after it, and felt strong throughout the run! Pretty tired now this evening.

Race week coming up! The plan is to run 4 miles on Tuesday and 2 miles on Thursday, with plenty of stretching on Wednesday. I will drive up to Belfast on Friday evening (which will take around 4 hours) in advance of Satuday's half marathon at 11 a.m. I'll do my best to eat well and stay hydrated. In particular on Friday and Saturday. I'll avoid gluten if I can as it can give me stomach cramps which I'd like to avoid for the race...

Not going to worry too much about times etc., but I think a goal pace of 8:30/mi should be achievable.

I'll let yee know how it goes!

Any word on how the OP got on?

Week 8/8

Sorry for the late post! Half-marathon done!

MONDAY- Rest

TUESDAY- 4 mile run around Renville park 8.28/mi pace.

WEDNESDAY- Stretch session and some foam rolling.

THURSDAY- 2 mile run, 8.09/mi pace.

FRIDAY- Drove up to Lisburn ahead of the race!

SATURDAY- Race day

RACE REPORT- CAUSEWAY COAST HALF MARATHON DES SABLES

My scheduled start time was at 1100, so I headed off from Lisburn and arrived at Benone Tourist park at around 1045.

It was a beautiful day on the north coast, and while the route had been changed to Benone beach the setting was lovely. The route was from the middle of the beach to the Mussenden Temple and then back all the way to the "Magilligan to Greencastle ferry terminal", before returning to the start line. There was a nice view of Inishowen as we ran back from the temple, and nice cliff and sand dune views. There is an army shooting range there at the point at Magilligan, which was (thankfully) not operating on the day in question the race organisers reassured us.

Registration was seamless and contact free, but there was a nice atmosphere around with a 10K and full marathon also being held. ( The full marathon did two loops of the course.) Once you had registered you were free to start whenever suited you, with your start time recorded.

There was a persistent cross wind coming in from the sea, which didn't prove too much of a hinderance.

I started strong with my 8.30/mi target time on my mind.

Mile 1- 8.09/mi

Mile 2- 8.31/mi (Had reached the end of the beach at the temple, and turned back towards the start line)

Mile 3- 8.56/mi

Mile 4- 8.58/mi (I passed the start line and headed on past the firing range to the ferry terminal)

Mile 5- 9.13/mi

Mile 6- 9.43/mi

Mile 7- 9.41/mi

Mile 8- 9.52/mi (I reached the terminal, looking over at Donegal and turned for home)

Mile 9- 9.29/mi

Mile 10 - 9.07/mi ( I tried to keep up with a fella that passed me for a bit which might explain this increase in speed, but also the end was in sight...)

Mile 11- 9.25/mi

Mile 12- 9.23/mi

Mile 13- 8.39/ mi

So 9.10/mi average and I finished at 1:59:07.

A little dissapointed with the speed, because as I mentioned last week 8.30/mi had been the goal from the start, but delighted to have gotten it done and seen the plan through to completion. Nice to finish under the 2hr mark too! I'm not sure if running alone could have impacted my speed a bit, I think if I had some more experienced runners running alongside me I could have pushed myself a bit more, but I was conscious of not overdoing it early on and it was nice to finish knowing I had more in the tank and that my form was still okay. However I'm sure that speed would be considered far too erratic, and controlling this a bit better is certainly a "work on".

I felt good the day after the race, and there are no injuries to report. I had a nice lunch in Portstewart after the race and some dinner in Belfast that evening before heading home.

Overall it was a very fulfilling experience, and was great to have something to focus on. I've lost about 8kg in the process.

WHAT NEXT?

I certainly think my appetite for running has been whetted by the last 8 weeks of training, and I would love to go on and run a marathon in the spring.

Over October, November and December, I'll get back into doing some strength work and swimming, with regular runs also part of the plan, perhaps 5 miles twice a week.
    Come January then I will start another plan towards a March or April marathon perhaps?!

My locum in Galway is coming to an end at the end of October, so I will likely be in Dublin for this training block.

Any suggestions regarding training, or observations on this previous training block would be warmly appreciated!

Also, if anyone else if thinking of running a first marathon in the Spring let me know, it would be great to follow your logs or hear where you are planning on running it. :)

I have found the log a great way to track the training, and will hopefully start a new one with a similar name come the new year !

Advertisement