Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving teaching

Options
  • 03-08-2020 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

The current back to school reopening plan is giving me the push to change careers. I have years of teaching experience and a teaching degree. I have always been interested in trying out a different kinds of jobs and the current situation is making me think I should do it sooner rather than later. Are there any jobs that would value teaching experience and qualifications or do I need to qualify in something else? A lot of decent jobs advertised require very specific experience. Feeling a bit lost with it all and also a bit panicked as I don't want to spend a year in fear of picking up this virus working in an unsafe situation. Happy to learn new skills etc but have seen thar a lot of friends jobs are not thar closely linked to what they did in college so wonderkng if any work well with teaching experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The next 2 to 3 years will see an explosion in online learning and teaching. Most companies that provide online learning platforms are slammed, I know one that hired over 30 people to simply provide support to new and existing users. Their developers are booked out for a year to 18 months.

If you wanted to stick to what you knew, I would wager a good business will exist in online tutoring (50EUR/hour to sit at home on Zoom isn't bad money) and online teaching/exam prep (There won't be an in person mega leaving cert course for a year to two in my eyes)

There are bound to be a few teachers in your boat so if you rounded up 10 and had a nice little online business going, I think you could make a good go of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Purplewaters

ironclaw wrote: »
    The next 2 to 3 years will see an explosion in online learning and teaching. Most companies that provide online learning platforms are slammed, I know one that hired over 30 people to simply provide support to new and existing users. Their developers are booked out for a year to 18 months.

If you wanted to stick to what you knew, I would wager a good business will exist in online tutoring (50EUR/hour to sit at home on Zoom isn't bad money) and online teaching/exam prep (There won't be an in person mega leaving cert course for a year to two in my eyes)

There are bound to be a few teachers in your boat so if you rounded up 10 and had a nice little online business going, I think you could make a good go of it.

Thanks, I'm actually primary but I do think that's a great idea. Wouldn't need to only be Ireland either. Thanks for that.

Advertisement