Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total beginner, what do I really need to start?

Options
  • 04-08-2020 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭

Morning all,
    Apologies for this question as I appreciate this is a how long is a string type question but...

I’m 42,I have a 13yesr old son and a 10 year old daughter. He is big into sport n fitness (myself n daughter not as much) . We can cycle but I want to get him and possibly myself n daughter bikes. He will prob cycle with us but on his own too. We live in country. I’ve one or 2 very quiet roads that we would start off on.

Any tips please on what to buy or not and any suggestions on what you need to start and what you would build up towards... I’m going looking at bikes tomorrow and I’d love to get car rack Too so we could bring bikes to Kerry etc.

Thanks for your help, I am scanning through threads here sorry if these are already explained I just haven’t found them yet and I’m getting slightly overwhelmed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Lisha wrote: »
    Morning all,
    Apologies for this question as I appreciate this is a how long is a string type question but...

I’m 42,I have a 13yesr old son and a 10 year old daughter. He is big into sport n fitness (myself n daughter not as much) . We can cycle but I want to get him and possibly myself n daughter bikes. He will prob cycle with us but on his own too. We live in country. I’ve one or 2 very quiet roads that we would start off on.

Any tips please on what to buy or not and any suggestions on what you need to start and what you would build up towards... I’m going looking at bikes tomorrow and I’d love to get car rack Too so we could bring bikes to Kerry etc.

Thanks for your help, I am scanning through threads here sorry if these are already explained I just haven’t found them yet and I’m getting slightly overwhelmed.

Don't forget to look at the Bike to Work scheme.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/cycling/cycle_to_work_scheme.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

At 42 and not that into fitness comfort should be a priority for you and your daughter, a nice upright seating position with a bump absorbing frame and fat tyres.

My kids have Frog hybrid bikes, these are high quality lightweight bikes designed for children that are well able for doing long rides. They are also easy to load onto bike racks given their low weight. They also have a high resale value so cost of ownership is actually quite low as they are desirable 2nd hand and for me I find they work out cheaper than buying a low cost bike as these tend to get thrown out once grown out of.

You might like to consider a ebike for yourself, these bikes you have to pedal but there is a small motor that provides assistance. I started cycling at 40, 10 years later the aches and pains have caught up on me and this is the only way I can keep up with my kids on a ride by using a ebike. You still put the effort in and it still keeps you fit but it takes the sting out of hills :-). I am in South Kerry now and you cannot go far without a hill or two.

Make sure you get spare inner tubes, a small bike tool kit and a decent pump when you buy the bikes.

For the bike rack, I highly recommend a tow hitch rack just for ease of loading and unloading. Failing that Thule have a easy to operate roof bar system but its quite expensive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

KaneToad wrote: »
    mod note - as using the cycle to work scheme to buy kid's bikes is tax fraud, any further posts suggesting this will be deleted without comment or warning

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Strobing

mod note - as using the cycle to work scheme to buy kid's bikes is tax fraud, any further posts suggesting this will be deleted without comment or warning

"We can cycle but I want to get him and possibly myself n daughter bikes"

OP wants to get himself a bike too, pretty sure the post you're referring to is not suggesting the OP commit tax fraud, rather they avail of the bike to work scheme himself for his own bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Morning all,

If ye are starting off, no point buying really expensive bikes as one of ye might get bored of it . Make sure the bikes fit and are comfortable . It might pay to spend a little more for that good fitting bike and wheels

. No one will cycle a bike that doesn’t give comfort On long spins

Hybrid bikes could be a start for all . Kriss (below is spot on, Take into account the area that you are in . Is it a hilly area ?)

The country roads are the best places in the world , you go down roads that you know little about and discover interesting sports eg crannogs , ancient ruins etc ,that you’d Take for granted in a car . Also less cars

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

For the kids bikes, try to go for simple and light. No suspension or other bits of random junk that just add weight, slow you down and cause maintenance issues. Ideally, simple gearing too, where you just see additional cogs on the back. The likes of Frog bikes are great, see https://www.frogbikes.ie/ but you can get perfectly reasonable cheaper bikes too if you know what you're looking for.

For yourself, simple and light is always good too. Some of the low end Giant bikes offer a good combination of value and being functionally very solid. If budget is an issue there are plenty of second hand options available on the likes of adverts.ie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

for kids bikes, consider the secondhand market; obviously people will sell perfectly functional bikes precisely because they no longer fit the kid, but beware that many kids bikes won't have been treated well by the previous owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

For yourself and your daughter get hybrids. I wouldnt go for anything with suspension forks and the like as it just adds unnecessary weight to the bike
    For your son it depends does he want to compete in cycling as a sport? Get him a road bike. Do you live in an area where you could potentially go mountain biking? Get him a mountain bike, also harder to grow out of than a road bike. Otherwise get him a hybrid aswell.
    You could go second hand if you want to save but your probably best only getting something of someone you know/on here.
    I'd advise buying maintenance essentials like chain lube a pump and a puncture patch kit.
    And also some accessories like bottle bottle cages etc, if your down the country you might get away without a lock

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Thanks all some great points which I’m taking on board. Think it will be hybrids Or mountain bikes . I’m going to a shop tomorrow so will see how I get on. We are in north cork so it’s hilly and lots of forest trails so That prob knocks out the road bike type. I’d love to go second hand but as I haven’t a clue I’m a bit apprehensive. He just wants to get to training and pitch when he feels like it not when he can be dropped.. Gotta love the independence

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

Thanks all some great points which I’m taking on board. Think it will be hybrids Or mountain bikes . I’m going to a shop tomorrow so will see how I get on. We are in north cork so it’s hilly and lots of forest trails so That prob knocks out the road bike type. I’d love to go second hand but as I haven’t a clue I’m a bit apprehensive. He just wants to get to training and pitch when he feels like it not when he can be dropped.. Gotta love the independence

Thanks again

A gravel bike might be an option for your son

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Thanks again

Definitely without a doubt go for a mountain bike for your son . If your in north cork you have ballyhoura etc on your doorstep, really nice place for mtbing. If you get him a half decent mountain bike you can try him out mountain biking and on the unlikely chance he doesnt like it he has a nice bike to get around on

Advertisement