Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

khalessi wrote: »
    Yep and I have no reason to lie. Why should I? As I pointed out for some they were doing Ramadam and for others it was the only time they could access internet with parents wfh during the day. I dont expect you to understand why they were asking questions at 5 but their parents when I spoke to them about it were happy enough with it even though I thought it odd.

FOrget about me why would someone living in Holland with no relevence to Irish education or knowledge of it spend their time harassing teachers in a different country online when they have toddlers. CUrious really.

You mentioned in one of the other threads a few months ago that you needed to get up at 3:30 to upload work as your internet was so slow. I guess a reason to exaggerate a bit would be to play up how much work you are doing. 18 hour days for a primary school teacher seems a bit unrealistic to be perfectly honest. Any comment or criticism of teachers is regarded as "bashing".
    My own experience of remote teaching with my 2 kids was that we got some sections of reading eggs to read and some maths worksheets for my 6 year old that my 4 year old can do. Its fine, we were not really expecting much. But nearly 6 months have passed now and we can't continue with that. The remote learning added no value, we can find things for our kids to do ourselves.
    I get it, it was convenient for teachers, required very little effort and was sufficient for a temporary measure. I know you said all of the parents of the children in your class were happy, but perhaps it was that they were understanding of the situation. It seems now that the government is putting getting kids back to school as its top priority. If we need to increase restrictions in other areas that is fine with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Boggles wrote: »
    Nice.

Yes that's exactly it. Nothing makes me happier than people not seeing their close relatives because I'm a bitch...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

meeeeh wrote: »
    Yes that's exactly it. Nothing makes me happier than people not seeing their close relatives because I'm a bitch...

Okay. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

in vino veritas?

Bit early though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    You mentioned in one of the other threads a few months ago that you needed to get up at 3:30 to upload work as your internet was so slow. I guess a reason to exaggerate a bit would be to play up how much work you are doing. 18 hour days for a primary school teacher seems a bit unrealistic to be perfectly honest. Any comment or criticism of teachers is regarded as "bashing".
    My own experience of remote teaching with my 2 kids was that we got some sections of reading eggs to read and some maths worksheets for my 6 year old that my 4 year old can do. Its fine, we were not really expecting much. But nearly 6 months have passed now and we can't continue with that. The remote learning added no value, we can find things for our kids to do ourselves.
    I get it, it was convenient for teachers, required very little effort and was sufficient for a temporary measure. I know you said all of the parents of the children in your class were happy, but perhaps it was that they were understanding of the situation. It seems now that the government is putting getting kids back to school as its top priority. If we need to increase restrictions in other areas that is fine with me.

Just because your experience was not the experience of my students does not make mine less valid or yours. My principal received praise on my input as did the BOM and the parents and students were happy.

I am a single parent and I worked the way I needed to get it done so if getting up at 330 to upload work was it, I did it. The work didnt go live fot kids to access until 8am. And yes I did have a slow internet in the beginning and put up a query about the speeds to see what I could do to fix it, but the work was done.

Whats your problem? Is it I did too much for the students?

Oh and the parents did unserstand the situation as they could see I was online everyday and they or the children could speak to me via phone or internet.

• Advertisement

Okay. :confused:

That's what you implied despite me also mentioning that I know exactly how that feels... Don't play stupid when you intentionally take something out of context and misrepresent it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Children on the internet at 5am for school? My imagination??

Some start at 3:30am sending work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

who can teachers, parents, students sue if covid 19 health and safety guidelines not implemented correctly .. and people start to fall ill or possibly die from this known risk

the principal, BOM, ETBs, Dept. of Education, Minsiter for Education ...?!

any ideas

Some start at 3:30am sending work.

And???

That's what you implied despite me also mentioning that I know exactly how that feels... Don't play stupid when you intentionally take something out of context and misrepresent it.

Something like that should never make you smile.

The context may make you angry, bothered, upset, peeved.

But never invoke a physical reaction associated with happiness.

• Advertisement

I feel hard done now. One of my kids had two teachers job sharing. They split the list of kids in two and each sent one email per week to half of the class. It was on Sunday afternoon though so extra points for dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

combat14 wrote: »
    who can teachers, parents, students sue if covid 19 health and safety guidelines not implemented correctly .. and people start to fall ill or possibly die from this known risk

the principal, BOM, ETBs, Dept. of Education, Minsiter for Education ...?!

any ideas

all of the above have to have their asses covered somehow under these guidelines or we wouldnt be reopening. You can be guaranteed that that was the first roadblock to reopening and not safety

Something like that should never make you smile.

The context may make you angry, bothered, upset, peeved.

But never invoke a physical reaction associated with happiness.

You do realize ironic smiles or bitter smiles or sad smiles exist? And no not all smiles are associated with happiness. I'm actually surprised a functioning adult needs to be told that.

khalessi wrote: »
    Just because your experience was not the experience of my students does not make mine less valid or yours. My principal received praise on my input as did the BOM and the parents and students were happy.

I am a single parent and I worked the way I needed to get it done so if getting up at 330 to upload work was it, I did it. The work didnt go live fot kids to access until 8am. And yes I did have a slow internet in the beginning and put up a query about the speeds to see what I could do to fix it, but the work was done.

Whats your problem? Is it I did too much for the students?

The only problem I have is that it seems quite a few teachers on here would like to continue with the situation before the summer holidays. I would not find that acceptable. Many are looking for any bit of evidence that supports their view. I understand there is some trepidation about going back. Even if it was the class being split into 2, I would be happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Children on the internet at 5am for school? My imagination??

I often had children emailing me at 5:30/6am as well. Needs must in houses where at the time the JC and/or LC student(s) rightly got priority to both devices and bandwidth during the school day. I myself used to be up and ready to go at 7am most days. Vast majority of communication from parents and kids was from 6am to 10am and again from 6pm to 11pm.

I often had children emailing me at 5:30/6am as well. Needs must in houses where at the time the JC and/or LC student(s) rightly got priority to both devices and bandwidth during the school day. I myself used to be up and ready to go at 7am most days. Vast majority of communication from parents and kids was from 6am to 10am and again from 6pm to 11pm.

You do know you can reply to an email at any time?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Primary or secondary? If primary, I seriously think it would be barbaric to accept work from a child at 5am. If my child's teacher came to me to say that they had received work from them at 5am I'd send them to therapy.

Poor children, this is harder on them than anyone else.

I'm secondary. Families did what they could with very limited resources.

Reading the last few pages here I've remembered why I stopped visiting this thread. I'll stick to the T&L forum.

And your point is?

I adapted to the situation. I don't mind being up early. Very much a morning person and it meant that I could pretty much respond in real time to things as they cropped up. Not much point someone emailing me and me not replying until later in the day and them not picking it up until possibly the next day. All about striking while the iron is hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Yeah like in a week time. God what an answer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Never had 5am submissions but did have a few at 9/10pm.

Plenty teenagers naturally drift to sleeping in and staying up late when not on a school/ summer job schedule

Knowing some of my male students, they were probably up half the night on FIFA/COD or Fortnite.

Which was fine, I'd have notifications off outside of school hours and correct their stuff the following day

• Advertisement

I can't believe that a few of us who have explained how we adapted our work times are being ridiculed. Damned if we do and damned if we don't. Really can't please everyone when it comes to education. Everyone is an expert.

I can't believe that a few of us who have explained how we adapted our work times are being ridiculed. Damned if we do and damned if we don't. Really can't please everyone when it comes to education. Everyone is an expert.

THey are hilarious, the idea that teachers actually wanted to do their best for their students is to be complained about. Wow!!!

Former HSE boss has piled in on the masks in secondary debate and firmly on the they should wear them side.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/clear-cut-case-face-masks-required-secondary-schools-tony-obrien-1056136?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1596615866

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

The delicious irony of this thread is that the resident teacher-haters, who have such a low opinion of teachers, are relishing the fact that they are about to put the care and health of their precious children into the hands of ... Yes you guessed it... teachers. Love it. :pac:

Anyway, as you were....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

elefant wrote: »
    I know Denmark opened their schools around a month earlier than that, and I don't recall hearing of any great increases there either.

Have you seen what their 'return to school' looked like?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/ten-pupils-per-class-hourly-handwashing-what-reopened-schools-could-look-like-1.4234382

A maximum of TEN students per class with FOUR square METRES of contact free space per individual student.

2 metres between students on transport to school. Hand washing every sixty minutes. Staggered arrival and departure from school.

From what I've read on here, schools are mainly simply returning as per any other year, all students back, no distancing, no masks, no staggered times, 25-35 to a class.

I think that's pretty shoddy, not to mention dangerous tbh.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/ten-pupils-per-class-hourly-handwashing-what-reopened-schools-could-look-like-1.4234382

A maximum of TEN students per class with FOUR square METRES of contact free space per individual student.

2 metres between students on transport to school. Hand washing every sixty minutes. Staggered arrival and departure from school.

From what I've read on here, schools are mainly simply returning as per any other year, all students back, no distancing, no masks, no staggered times, 25-35 to a class.

But sure the facts just get in the way of a good story. Apples and oranges aren't the same except when trying to prove a point.

You do realize ironic smiles or bitter smiles or sad smiles exist? And no not all smiles are associated with happiness. I'm actually surprised a functioning adult needs to be told that.

Yes adjectives exist.

Very effective when used appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Blondini wrote: »
      The delicious irony of this thread is that the resident teacher-haters, who have such a low opinion of teachers, are relishing the fact that they are about to put the care and health of their precious children into the hands of ... Yes you guessed it... teachers. Love it. :pac:

Anyway, as you were....

There are plenty of teachers in this thread, and in the real world, who are wonderful people and educators who have the best interests of their students at heart. The problem are the ones who, encouraged by their unions, have an inflated sense of self importance and who unfortunately are the most vocal.

I mean, picketing the Dáil yesterday for more salary when they haven't set foot inside their places of work in 6 months??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Scraping a hole in the barrel. This is drivel.

• Advertisement

Denmark also used every available buliding to school the students, football stadiums, hotels, museusms and graveyards and they did not bring primary and secondary back at the same time as primary were using some of the secondary schools.

Very different approach here. Here we use the feck it will be grand approach

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement