Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

The exact quotes are "teachers continued working" and "teachers are working their asses off". What does that mean to you? There are also a huge amount of other posts saying all teachers worked during lockdown.

People can make up their own minds about what the posts mean. To me it seems perfectly clear.

Both quotes mean that there were teachers working. Quantities were not expressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Will Yam wrote: »
    The quote says “teachers continued working”.

Do you mean SOME teachers continued working?

I don't mean anything. I'm not the poster making claims that do not stand up to scrutiny. Ask your friend NonTeachingGal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

It is not even funny anymore. Ridiculous posts from ridiculous posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Both quotes mean that there were teachers working. Quantities were not expressed.

People will make uptheir own minds about what was meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Equally you cannot assume that the quote means all. It says teachers were working. That is true thete were teacgers working. The quote doesn't qualify the quantity.

But this debate is about the extent to which teachers worked 15 hours a day during lockdown, or not at all, or some point in between.

When I read a statement in defence of teachers which says that teachers worked during lockdown, it is a reasonable assumption that they ALL worked a normal day (and not 15 hours a day, or nothing)

To come along now to say that “ teachers worked” but this means that only some teachers worked is disingenuous to put it mildly.

So if only “some” worked, why estimate would you put on this “some”

1%? 10%? 20%?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Jesus christ shut down the thread already. How many mod threats have to go to people which are ignored, how many old arguments with no progress have to be reheated.

Jesus Christ

But this debate is about the extent to which teachers worked 15 hours a day during lockdown, or not at all, or some point in between.

When I read a statement in defence of teachers which says that teachers worked during lockdown, it is a reasonable assumption that they ALL worked a normal day (and not 15 hours a day, or nothing)

To come along now to say that “ teachers worked” but this means that only some teachers worked is disingenuous to put it mildly.

So if only “some” worked, why estimate would you put on this “some”

1%? 10%? 20%?

How will schools be able to reopen in September.

You're now on the side of someone who has received at least one mod warning for their conduct, probably 2 maybe 3.

So if a teacher sent one email during lockdown this qualifies as “teachers working”?

Blondini wrote: »

Care to clarify who is a "ridiculous poster"?

Because that sounds like a personal insult to me.

People will make uptheir own minds about what was meant.

Ok. But as someone with an English degree I was just explaining the meaning.

• Advertisement

Any clarification as to whether your 200 is schools, or cases in schools?

Or neither?

Or both?

Or whatever you’re having yourself?

If I were you I’d take such a statement as a compliment from an embittered “veteran educator”

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Jesus christ shut down the thread already. How many mod threats have to go to people which are ignored, how many old arguments with no progress have to be reheated.

Jesus Christ

Indeed. Those who question teachers must be silenced. Then let’s get on with the closing of the schools.

Indeed. Those who question teachers must be silenced. Then let’s get on with the closing of the schools.

That's just sad.

So if a teacher sent one email during lockdown this qualifies as “teachers working”?

No it would have to be more than one, plural. I understand that I sound like a condescending ass but that's the reality of the language used. I'm not in the habit of correcting spelling and grammar or nitpicking language choice, but I will not tolerate someone (not you) purposely misrepresenting a situation.

It is true some teachers pulled their weight and others didn't. No one claimed all teachers did. To say that anyone claimed that is simply not fair, particularly when the poster levelling that accusation did no work over lockdown by her own admission.

No it would have to be more than one, plural. I understand that I sound like a condescending ass but that's the reality of the language used. I'm not in the habit of correcting spelling and grammar or nitpicking language choice, but I will not tolerate someone (not you) purposely misrepresenting a situation.

It is true some teachers pulled their weight and others didn't. No one claimed all teachers did. To say that anyone claimed that is simply not fair, particularly when the poster levelling that accusation did no work over lockdown by her own admission.

Fair enough.

But do you not think that in a debate such as this about the issue of how teachers behaved during lockdown, and a defender of theirs says that “teachers worked during lockdown” that one is entitled to infer that it meant all, or, at the very least, the overwhelming majority?

Are you looking to be offended again?
    How are the children in your care this year? Are you doing everything you can to give them the education they deserve? Have you upskilled during lockdown? Are you the best teacher you can be? Have you pride in your work?

Fair enough.

But do you not think that in a debate such as this about the issue of how teachers behaved during lockdown, and a defender of theirs says that “teachers worked during lockdown” that one is entitled to infer that it meant all, or, at the very least, the overwhelming majority?

If you read the linked threads in their entirety you might not make that inference based on the wider context that those comments were made in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Looking for thoughts on the following

Whats app sent out to staff today about possibly taking all classes to the local farm shop the day of midterm. Obviously subject to there being no local lockdown in place. Each class will go at separate times to pick pumpkins. No thought given to the fact it will probably be indoors so children from 3rd to 6th are supposed to be socially distant. All classes are supposed to only be mixing with their own pods. Does anyone else think this is madness?

It sounds like it makes a mockery of pods and bubbles anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

It sounds like it makes a mockery of pods and bubbles anyway.

And best not make a mockery of pods or bubbles they are the real deal:D Magic!!

• Advertisement

Now you are being a Silly Willy. It is not within teachers remit to close schools. Surely even someone who appears to know as little as you do about Irish education is aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

For the love of God, will ye stop. Because basically now you are all saying the same thing ie some teachers worked really hard, some didn't kill themselves at all. Parents and students know who's who.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    For the love of God, will ye stop. Because basically now you are all saying the same thing ie some teachers worked really hard, some didn't kill themselves at all. Parents and students know who's who.

Yes, at last we all seem to be saying the same thing. Phew, that took a while!!!

I agree that parents are the best judge of what happened last time. Lets leave it to them to make up their own minds on whether or not teachers all worked as hard as they should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

The aul poster who boasted about downing tools will be looking forward to what you seem to be obsessed about.

Has o ne teacher on here mentioned about closing down schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Whats app sent out to staff today about possibly taking all classes to the local farm shop the day of midterm. Obviously subject to there being no local lockdown in place. Each class will go at separate times to pick pumpkins. No thought given to the fact it will probably be indoors so children from 3rd to 6th are supposed to be socially distant. All classes are supposed to only be mixing with their own pods. Does anyone else think this is madness?

To me it's madness and asking for trouble. What would the parent reaction be to it happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

To me it's madness and asking for trouble. What would the parent reaction be to it happening?

I may not be a typical Parent but I would not be remotely happy with that idea.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Absolute and utter madness - don't know how any risk assessment at this particular time could allow this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Absolute and utter madness - don't know how any risk assessment at this particular time could allow this!

No risk assessment. No discussion with staff, just told.

My kids are in this school. Myself and my husband won't allow them to go to a friends birthday party in a play centre at the weekend but my principal thinks it is okay to bring over 100 kids to this place!!!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

only thing made up ive seen is the assumption that schools are somehow safe zones from this pandemic.

Yes, and here in the UK, we have firmly established that covid is an extremely intelligent disease. Schools and businesses are safe but having more than six people in your house with social distancing it will magically appear, also pubs are safe but only before 10pm since it has now learned how to tell the time.

Just be glad that testing is available - it is nothing short of a sh*tshow here where we can't get tests for symptomatic students, no such things as masks for staff (for our school our head has actually said sod their advice and for us all to wear masks in corridors) and not a tap of social distancing for kids.

But it's alright, anyone in a school building is magically immune!

• Advertisement

No risk assessment. No discussion with staff, just told.

My kids are in this school. Myself and my husband won't allow them to go to a friends birthday party in a play centre at the weekend but my principal thinks it is okay to bring over 100 kids to this place!!!

I genuinely don't see how a principal is thinking like that - that possibility of doing it needs to turn into definitely not doing it - if enough staff refuse you can't possibly do it to be honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement