Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I know it's in The Sun but first time I've seen sometching like this published in Ireland.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5942884/coronavirus-ireland-schools-covid-spike-teachers-opinion/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I know it's in The Sun but first time I've seen sometching like this published in Ireland.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5942884/coronavirus-ireland-schools-covid-spike-teachers-opinion/
    Well that's a glorified rant! Lava flow? :eek: Must be related to George Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

I hope Micheál martin reads this.

He needs to do what the Sun says. That great authoritative source of medical knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Will Yam wrote: »
    I hope Micheál martin reads this.

He needs to do what the Sun says. That great authoritative source of medical knowledge.

Comical Willy is back.
    Do you believe that the rise in cases since schools reopened is totally coincidental ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Much lower adult to child ratio in a creche.

22 kids per room for ECCE 3/4yos with 2 teachers so while yes its lower than a school, they have no pods etc. and the kids are al in the teachers faces constantly.

• Advertisement

Comical Willy is back.
    Do you believe that the rise in cases since schools reopened is totally coincidental ?

I read it in the Sun lolol

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Inquitus wrote: »
    22 kids per room for ECCE 3/4yos with 2 teachers so while yes its lower than a school, they have no pods etc. and the kids are al in the teachers faces constantly.
    It's hard to know sometimes whether people are raising concerns or just raising barriers to the education system functioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

It might be The Sun but nice to see someone bring the discussion into the open.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's hard to know sometimes whether people are raising concerns or just raising barriers to the education system functioning.

Its not that hard really.

You are avoiding answering the question. Do you believe the rise in cases since the schools reopened is purely coincidental?

• Advertisement

You are avoiding answering the question. Do you believe the rise in cases since the schools reopened is purely coincidental?

All reopening of society leads to a risk in cases rising, be they schools, pubs, restaurants etc etc.

And the rise in cases started early to mid August before schools reopened.

So of course opening of schools provides a further opportunity for covid to spread - whoever denied that?

But as i have repeatedly said on this thread what is important is to balance the risk against the benefit. The benefits from having the schools open far outweigh the covid risks involved.

And I not yesterday that the incidence rates in schools are 33% lower than in society in general. This would suggest that schools are at greater risk from society than society is from schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I am a parent on this thread, and in my opinion having the option to do blended learning or even keeping students a year off should have been there.

For my scenario, from the two above I would have kept my daughter at home for the year: she is the youngest in the class currently and while we wfh, could have focused her on a smaller number of core subjects in private (maths/computer programming/arts/tech graphics - based on our degrees, perhaps outsourcing the languages)... no big loss, really, I am sure she would have been grand finishing secondary school a year later.

Now she is telling me they cannot do as many science projects due to new rules (same applies to other subjects) - so is it not a wasted time to keep them full time in school like that, while knowing the risks ?!?!
    The_Brood wrote: »
    And to quote Harris, because it is "absolutely necessary if we are to stop the spread of this virus."

.....yet schools are completely free to continue staying open despite the large spike in virus cases aligning exactly with their opening.....??

Like is there anyone to ask questions of the government, is there anyone challenging them at all, or have we just resigned to being ruled by a delusional cult?
    this is absurd. does anyone know if there is any petition going on ?

All reopening of society leads to a risk in cases rising, be they schools, pubs, restaurants etc etc.

And the rise in cases started early to mid August before schools reopened.

So of course opening of schools provides a further opportunity for covid to spread - whoever denied that?

But as i have repeatedly said on this thread what is important is to balance the risk against the benefit. The benefits from having the schools open far outweigh the covid risks involved.

And I not yesterday that the incidence rates in schools are 33% lower than in society in general. This would suggest that schools are at greater risk from society than society is from schools.

Thank you for engaging.
    Unfortunately there is no real data on transmission in schools, or anywhere else for that matter. The fact that it has taken six months to address this issue is unacceptable. Hopefully we will start to get a clearer picture of the role schools are playing in the coming weeks.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-contact-tracers-to-start-looking-into-where-people-are-infected-1.4364925?mode=amp
    Contact tracers are to begin investigating where people are infected with Covid-19, following admissions this week by the State’s public health team that it cannot tell where cases are happening in the community.

In a letter to Government, the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) said that retrospective contact tracing would gather extra information about Covid-19 cases labelled only as “ community transmission” up to now.

Last night, a HSE source said tracing teams will now play “detective” and investigate in greater detail the movements and contacts of a confirmed Covid-19 case to identify at-risk bars, gyms, restaurants or other locations.

The change comes after Prof Philip Nolan said last week that people are only questioned about their contacts during the 48 hours before they develop symptoms, rather than tracing back to where they could have been infected.

His declaration came after pubs and restaurant bodies complained that they were being blamed for the rise in cases, even though all the HSE’s graphs had laid few such cases at their door.

However, Prof Nolan said cases were tagged community transmission even though they could have emerged first in a restaurant or bar because public health teams did not have the resources fully to identify people’s movements.

Thank you for engaging.
    Unfortunately there is no real data on transmission in schools, or anywhere else for that matter. The fact that it has taken six months to address this issue is unacceptable. Hopefully we will start to get a clearer picture of the role schools are playing in the coming weeks.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-contact-tracers-to-start-looking-into-where-people-are-infected-1.4364925?mode=amp
    Contact tracers are to begin investigating where people are infected with Covid-19, following admissions this week by the State’s public health team that it cannot tell where cases are happening in the community.

In a letter to Government, the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) said that retrospective contact tracing would gather extra information about Covid-19 cases labelled only as “ community transmission” up to now.

Last night, a HSE source said tracing teams will now play “detective” and investigate in greater detail the movements and contacts of a confirmed Covid-19 case to identify at-risk bars, gyms, restaurants or other locations.

The change comes after Prof Philip Nolan said last week that people are only questioned about their contacts during the 48 hours before they develop symptoms, rather than tracing back to where they could have been infected.

His declaration came after pubs and restaurant bodies complained that they were being blamed for the rise in cases, even though all the HSE’s graphs had laid few such cases at their door.

However, Prof Nolan said cases were tagged community transmission even though they could have emerged first in a restaurant or bar because public health teams did not have the resources fully to identify people’s movements.

I did read yesterday somewhere - don’t ask me where - that the incidence rate in schools is 1.7% vs community as a whole of 2.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Even though the surge in Donegal was traced back to communion and confirmation gatherings.

Some people are hell bent on blaming schools.

mvl wrote: »
    I am a parent on this thread, and in my opinion having the option to do blended learning or even keeping students a year off should have been there.

For my scenario, from the two above I would have kept my daughter at home for the year: she is the youngest in the class currently and while we wfh, could have focused her on a smaller number of core subjects in private (maths/computer programming/arts/tech graphics - based on our degrees, perhaps outsourcing the languages)... no big loss, really, I am sure she would have been grand finishing secondary school a year later.

Now she is telling me they cannot do as many science projects due to new rules (same applies to other subjects) - so is it not a wasted time to keep them full time in school like that, while knowing the risks ?!?!

this is absurd. does anyone know if there is any petition going on ?

A petition for what exactly?

A petition for what exactly?
    perhaps you missed the point from the post I quoted ? school is school: why would third level be treated differently than secondary level ?

I fail to understand how is it ok to keep secondary schools with no option to do blended learning, when some of these secondary schools have more than 1000 students in daily.

perhaps you missed the point from the post I quoted ? school is school: why would third level be treated differently than secondary level ?

I fail to understand how is it ok to keep secondary schools with no option to do blended learning, when some of these secondary schools have more than 1000 students in daily.

So a petition to close the schools is it?

Maybe because all university students are adults?

Or half close them. The thin edge of the wedge.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Such hysterical nonsense from meddling parents- if you were actually “that” worried you’d keep them home and put the prescribed home schooling in place.
    But alas no, it’s someone else’s problem to educate your little princess so you can indulge your own Covid paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

A petition to close schools.....The crazies really are trying to take over the asylum.

Op why can’t you start your own petition? It’s relatively easy to do. I mean, if you feel as strongly as you supposedly do about Covid only health then this wouldn’t be a problem. We’ll see how far it gets

Maybe because all university students are adults?
    of course they are.
    some of these students would be in the category 15-24 of age; according to post number 8868 on this thread, in September there were 1051 cases for this age group.
    so would read that some of these university students are statistically in same group with secondary school students ?!?

of course they are.
    some of these students would be in the category 15-24 of age; according to post number 8868 on this thread, in September there were 1051 cases for this age group.
    so would read that some of these university students are statistically in same group with secondary school students ?!?

There are very very few, if any, university students aged 15 years, or even 16, and a very low number at 17.

road_high wrote: »
    A petition to close schools.....The crazies really are trying to take over the asylum.

Op why can’t you start your own petition? It’s relatively easy to do. I mean, if you feel as strongly as you supposedly do about Covid only health then this wouldn’t be a problem. We’ll see how far it gets

nah, i think only someone stupid can understand i was suggesting petitioning for closing schools - read again, this is not what was asked about !!!

- and stop trying to bully genuine parents posting their opinion here. imo each should be able to decide what is best for own family, while using the frameworks available to us all, from the government.

nah, i think only someone stupid can understood i was suggesting petitioning for closing schools - read again, this is not what was asked about !!!

- and stop trying to bully genuine parents posting their opinion here. imo each should be able to decide what is best for own family, while using the frameworks available to us all, from the government.

Who is stopping you deciding what’s best for your family?

And who is “bullying” (unless you define disagreeing as “bullying”)

Even though the surge in Donegal was traced back to communion and confirmation gatherings.

Some people are hell bent on blaming schools.
    The surge in Donegal is due to members of a football team having a party and a wake, both in the Lifford area.
    Communions and confirmations are indirectly connected to schools but that's a debate for another day.
    What is clear from this thread is how polarised certain posters are in their outlook. Surely it would be preferable for the facts to be established around schools. We got things seriously wrong in our nursing homes and with our healthcare workers. Is it too much to ask that cases in school going children and education staff are properly traced to the point of transmission? At the moment the figures just don't add up.

I did read yesterday somewhere - don’t ask me where - that the incidence rate in schools is 1.7% vs community as a whole of 2.5%.

Hopefully not in The Sun!!
    The problem is that figures in schools are being fudged. There needs to be an indepth analysis of school going children who have tested positive to see where the transmission really is occurring.Strangely there doesn't seem to be any willingness to do that.

Hopefully not in The Sun!!
    The problem is that figures in schools are being fudged. There needs to be an indepth analysis of school going children who have tested positive to see where the transmission really is occurring.Strangely there doesn't seem to be any willingness to do that.

All evidence thus far is that it’s from household gatherings. That’s not to say that that these haven’t brought it into schools, supermarkets, hospitals etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

There has been a deputy chief medical officer appointed with responsibility for schools. Zara King interviewed her yesterday for Virgin Media.

Take what you want from that appointment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement