Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Inquitus wrote: »
    22 kids per room for ECCE 3/4yos with 2 teachers so while yes its lower than a school, they have no pods etc. and the kids are al in the teachers faces constantly.

So, about a third of the ratio in a creche.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Not answering for the poster but I don't believe they ever said that but you like to muddy the water.

As regards how 131 cases turns into 200. The 131 was reported by NPHET on the 16th or 17th of September. Extrapolate it out and 200 is the approximate number now. I believe it to be higher based on what I know local to my area. I personally know of 6 schools with 2 or more confirmed cases.

Selective interpretation of close contacts in the last 10 days has become apparent within classes with a confirmed case. The question has to be asked why this tightening of the criteria started? Have they been quietly told to reduce the pressure on the testing system? The overloading of the testing system was acknowleded today. A byproduct of this reduction would also mean easing of pressure on the track and trace system which was highlighted as creaking by Primetime during the week.

First, they did say it. Check it back.

Second, thank you for clarifying that the 200 is extrapolation Of cases in schools, as opposed to schools. (it would saved us a lot of trouble if the poster who threw it out there had made that clear).

But with respect I’m not sure it’s reasonable to extrapolate nationally based on your own personal experience. By the same token I could claim that every test (based on my experience today where a gp consultation at 12 noon resulted in a test at 3.30 (in a largely deserted test centre). But I doubt many would agree that a 3.5 hour turn round is the national norm.

khalessi wrote: »
    I am presuming you mean the school staff, teachers, caretakers, snas etc as they carry out the day to day implentation of the covid protocols

Of course.

Who else runs the schools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Will Yam wrote: »
    First, they did say it. Check it back.

Second, thank you for clarifying that the 200 is extrapolation (it would saved us a lot of trouble if the poster who threw it out there had made that clear).

But with respect I’m not sure it’s reasonable to extrapolate nationally based on your own personal experience. By the same token I could claim that every test (based on my experience today where a gp consultation at 12 noon resulted in a test at 3.30 (in a largely deserted test centre). But I doubt many would agree that a 3.5 hour turn round is the national norm.

Will you just build a poxxy bridge and get over it.

There are at the very fcucking least 200 schools, some with multiple cases.
    Live with it.

Making an absolute show of yourself.

Put me on ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Of course.

Board of Management could be assumed to run schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Blondini wrote: »
    I'm soooooo sorry.

Now, can you move on and stop ruining the thread.

Okay?

An ex teacher.

The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Just went and had a look at that Facebook group.

As of yesterday they had copies of aladdin messages, screenshots of text messages from schools or the relevant HSE letter from 199 schools and 8 preschools that confirmed a case or cases in those schools.

One of the schools I personally know has 7 confirmed cases but the page has only been sent 3 of the above so they only list 3 rather than 7 cases for that particular school. Also in the instance of the Celbridge school that has a high number that high number isn't represented.

Number of cases then are well above 200.

Before you ask this is since schools went back.

3 schools have been told to close by the HSE.

khalessi wrote: »
    Board of Management could be assumed to run schools.

In a managerial sense yes.

But to get such low numbers in the current environment is a credit to all those involved, and couldn’t be done without them .

Of course.

Actually it's the Board of Management that runs a school.

Will you just build a poxxy bridge and get over it.

There are at the very fcucking least 200 schools, some with multiple cases.
    Live with it.

Making an absolute show of yourself.

Put me on ignore.

Charming.

• Advertisement

Actually it's the Board of Management that runs a school.

Well then let me rephrase my point.

Well done to all involved in schools for such a low level of Covid in them.

All = everybody.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you cannot be civil, do not post

Discuss the topic, not other posters

Threadbans and further cards will be issued if posters are incapable of following these very simple instructions

Not answering for the poster but I don't believe they ever said that but you like to muddy the water.

As regards how 131 cases turns into 200. The 131 was reported by NPHET on the 16th or 17th of September. Extrapolate it out and 200 is the approximate number now. I believe it to be higher based on what I know local to my area. I personally know of 6 schools with 2 or more confirmed cases.

Selective interpretation of close contacts in the last 10 days has become apparent within classes with a confirmed case. The question has to be asked why this tightening of the criteria started? Have they been quietly told to reduce the pressure on the testing system? The overloading of the testing system was acknowleded today. A byproduct of this reduction would also mean easing of pressure on the track and trace system which was highlighted as creaking by Primetime during the week.

So do you accept that less than 4% of cases in schools is a remarkable achievement?

So do you accept that less than 4% of cases in schools is a remarkable achievement?

Jesus you don't stop do you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

Not every case in every school is reported, and we're still only 3 weeks in.

Jesus you don't stop do you.

Instead of hurling abuse, maybe you could address the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

It's more than remarkable Willy, it's absolutely unbelievable.

Instead of hurling abuse, maybe you could address the question?

Abuse?

Look you think all us teachers are raving hysterics. Think we make up stuff, want schools closed, etc, etc.

You've been caught out trying to catch us out and now you change the point of engagement. We all know that we've been doing our best in the school buildings. Some better than others but that's life. A lot of us think things could have should have been done slightly differently. Some/nearly all of us cannot agree that ECDC criteria for schools are being totally ignored. Our minister for education literally isn't heard from for weeks on end.

The fear is that education won't be treated with the respect it should be until something awful occurs to someone from a school.

Where did the 4% come from?

The 200 figure was not accepted, so how can a percentage based on that disputed figure be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Abuse?

Look you think all us teachers are raving hysterics. Think we make up stuff, want schools closed, etc, etc.

You've been caught out trying to catch us out and now you change the point of engagement. We all know that we've been doing our best in the school buildings. Some better than others but that's life. A lot of us think things could have should have been done slightly differently. Some/nearly all of us cannot agree that ECDC criteria for schools are being totally ignored. Our minister for education literally isn't heard from for weeks on end.

The fear is that education won't be treated with the respect it should be until something awful occurs to someone from a school.

Something awful like what?

A teacher catches covid?

Many people have caught covid in workplaces.

Where is your outrage about these people, case in point meat factory workers.

Working all during the pandemic to keep the economy going so people can stay at home on full pay.

• Advertisement

A teacher catches covid?

Working all during the pandemic to keep the economy going so people can stay at home on full pay.

This is a thread about schools so we are talking about teachers.
    Start a thread about meat factory workers if you want?

The 200 figure was not accepted, so how can a percentage based on that disputed figure be?

It's a figure Willy made up.

Incorrect.

What was at issue was whether the 200 was cases or schools.

As you said it was both another poster clarified that it was cases, not schools.

Accepting his (extrapolated) estimate of 200, this is less than 4% of all Covid cases since Sept 1st.

It’s not rocket science really.

And I believe 4% is a remarkably low number.

A teacher catches covid?

Teachers have caught Covid. What's your point?

It's a figure Willy made up.

It wasn’t made up.

I accepted the 200 extrapolated estimate and took it as a % of total cases since sept 1st.

As I said, not rocket science.

Incorrect.

As you said it was both another poster clarified that it was cases, not schools.

Accepting his (extrapolated) estimate of 200, this is less than 4% of all Covid cases since Sept 1st.

I dont accept that estimate. Whats the source?

I dont accept that estimate. Whats the source?

Erm, you!

Erm, you!

Old news. It is higher now.

Incorrect.

You deliberately ignore the post I made after showing it is minimum 199 schools and 8 preschools with cases. Then again you like to skew things. You seem to think that this thread is a game where it's up to you to prove people wrong/play devils advocate. Easy to know you don't have children or work in a school.

• Advertisement

A teacher catches covid?

This thread is about schools. Setup a thread about meat factories and discuss it to your hearts content there.

As an aside, clusters in meat factories prompted across the board testing, how come this wasn't afforded to schools? Fair is fair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement