Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Truthfully, is there a parent in the country that doesn't go "thank god" when the kids head off to school.

Doubt it.

Otherwise everyone would be home schooling. And I know that was done by many from March to the Summer break, but it doesn't come naturally to many. That is why teaching takes four years or more to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Truthfully, is there a parent in the country that doesn't go "thank god" when the kids head off to school.

Doubt it.

Otherwise everyone would be home schooling. And I know that was done by many from March to the Summer break, but it doesn't come naturally to many. That is why teaching takes four years or more to qualify.

I think the reason that many don't home school is that they have to go out to work and earn a wage. Home schooling is a luxury not available to all.

KaneToad wrote: »
    I think the reason that many don't home school is that they have to go out to work and earn a wage. Home schooling is a luxury not available to all.

I doubt anyone would home school really, only the fundie Christians in America and who could blame them with all the school shootings etc.

It is a certain cohort who will home school. It is minuscule here anyway and usually people of a different mindset, and that's ok.

Just saying that most parents are delighted to get the kids off to school. Yee Haw, they are gone. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I doubt anyone would home school really, only the fundie Christians in America and who could blame them with all the school shootings etc.

It is a certain cohort who will home school. It is minuscule here anyway and usually people of a different mindset, and that's ok.

Just saying that most parents are delighted to get the kids off to school. Yee Haw, they are gone. lol

Most people home schooling are very well educated or are doing for religious reasons
    ie there's no school for their religious beliefs, or their atheism

Most people home schooling are very well educated or are doing for religious reasons
    ie there's no school for their religious beliefs, or their atheism

Good luck to them. It is mostly fundie Christians from what I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Or most parents, including teachers, more likely might be dropping their school going children to the childminder at 8am or before for her to drop the kids to school while they themselves rush off to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

to add to the generalizations some ppl are doing here,
    - based on my experience, boys students could have been struggling more than girls students during lock down. i know few parents of academically driven girls (including myself) who have had no problem adapting to assignments online - so these parents today might prefer blended learning. the only parents I know who were looking back to leaning in school setting had boys. (note that none of the parents i am basing my statement here had small kids that need constant supervision while in home setting - I'm talking about over 8 yos).

and now unrelated, an example of irresponsible parents that are too keen to keep their kids in school - https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/09/24/covid-parents-school-wisconsin
    (worth keeping an eye on this one in our setting)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

mvl wrote: »
    to add to the generalizations some ppl are doing here,
    - based on my experience, boys students could have been struggling more than girls students during lock down. i know few parents of academically driven girls (including myself) who have had no problem adapting to assignments online - so these parents today might prefer blended learning. the only parents I know who were looking back to leaning in school setting had boys. (note that none of the parents i am basing my statement here had small kids that need constant supervision while in home setting - I'm talking about over 8 yos).

and now unrelated, an example of irresponsible parents that are too keen to keep their kids in school - https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/09/24/covid-parents-school-wisconsin
    (worth keeping an eye on this one in our setting)

Jesus I hope that doesn't happen here.

I do know of a secondary school that had parents of close contacts who refused to send their children for a test and a few of them tried to send their child back to school when they shojld have been restricting their movements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

Will Yam wrote: »
    Name them.

They are named and dated on excel spreadsheets in the FB group already given to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Doubt it.

Jesus, really.

Is this the attitude here??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Blondini wrote: »
    Regarding the facebook group, there are murmers there that schools have become much tighter on sending texts, letters etc, in case they end up on the group.

That’s good to know.

It helps to stop Trump like fake news being disseminated as if it were fact by vested interests.

Jesus, really.

Is this the attitude here??

It's only one single poster's opinion. I didn't see any reference or link to wide poll results.

Will Yam wrote: »
    That’s good to know.

It helps to stop Trump like fake news being disseminated as if it were fact by vested interests.

How so? Seems to me it's an attempt to stop REAL news from getting into the public domain. Not one single school or parent has spoken out to say that's their school on the FB page and the letter is fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Regarding the facebook list, is it current in the sense that schools are being taken off the list as they get the all clear as well as obviously new cases going on the list or is it going to be a count of all schools that have ever had cases since schools opened ??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

How so? Seems to me it's an attempt to stop REAL news from getting into the public domain. Not one single school or parent has spoken out to say that's their school on the FB page and the letter is fake.

Once the posters know they are liable if any false info is put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

You mean unverified rumours are REAL news? Just because schools and parents ignore fb nut job lists it doesn't mean they are in any way verified.

School list and anti mask groups on social media are two sides of the same coin and better ignored by rational adults.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

meeeeh wrote: »
    You mean unverified rumours are REAL news? Just because schools and parents ignore fb nut job lists it doesn't mean they are in any way verified.

School list and anti mask groups on social media are two sides of the same coin and better ignored by rational adults.
    Just because the list of schools bothers you it must be unverified lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

KaneToad wrote: »

I agree , And most are not qualified to do that . Teaching is a skill and takes four years to learn and many more to be highly skilled .I would not ever consider myself qualified to teach at primary level , never mind secondary

I disagree with this entirely. The cases are verified. As I said no one has come forward to say it isn't true. The comment about school list and anti mask groups only shows your disdain for both and is the only thing the two have in common.

s1ippy wrote: »
    Just because the list of schools bothers you it must be unverified lies.

No it's not just about the school lists. It's about society getting dumber and dumber from getting their news of different social media sites. Be it anti vaxxers, anti mask brigade, paedophile hunters, racist groups, white van spotters or school counters. It is unverified stuff peddled by idiots or people with agenda and it elects the likes of Trump.

The list of schools doesn't bother me as long as it's understood as a hobby project of someone with a bit too much time on their hands and not to be taken seriously. However when it's starts to be called real news I despair for humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I disagree with this entirely. The cases are verified. As I said no one has come forward to say it isn't true. The comment about school list and anti mask groups only shows your disdain for both and is the only thing the two have in common.

So your willing to stand over the list a 100%. Take responsibility for the schools on that list right now?

No it's not just about the school lists. It's about society getting dumber and dumber from getting their news of different social media sites. Be it anti vaxxers, anti mask brigade, paedophile hunters, racist groups, white van spotters or school counters. It is unverified stuff peddled by idiots or people with agenda and it elects the likes of Trump.

The list of schools doesn't bother me as long as it's understood as a hobby project of someone with a bit too much time on their hands and not to be taken seriously. However when it's starts to be called real news I despair for humanity.

The issue is the point I was making yesterday. The Facebook group has such a high number of members due to the lack of official information. The information vacuum around numbers associated with schools is the reason it has taken off.

All of us teachers have either direct knowledge of or are in schools where we know close contacts have been for want of a better word 'fudged'. I know of a class with a positive case where the public health team rang the principal, spoke to them for less than two minutes, didn't ask for class layout details, really didn't ask for anything and then announced there were no close contacts. This despite the fact that the kid had been sent home from school due to coughing and a fever the morning before. Not one person, kids, teacher or SNA from that room were considered close contacts. Makes no sense.

Absolutely false comparisons. Russian propaganda, meddling and an outdated electoral college elected Trump.

The issue is the point I was making yesterday. The Facebook group has such a high number of members due to the lack of official information. The information vacuum around numbers associated with schools is the reason it has taken off.

All of us teachers have either direct knowledge of or are in schools where we know close contacts have been for want of a better word 'fudged'. I know of a class with a positive case where the public health team rang the principal, spoke to them for less than two minutes, didn't ask for class layout details, really didn't ask for anything and then announced there were no close contacts. This despite the fact that the kid had been sent home from school due to coughing and a fever the morning before. Not one person, kids, teacher or SNA from that room were considered close contacts. Makes no sense.

And you verified that with the principal and tge public health team. Also how many others got infected by Corona because of that?

So your willing to stand over the list a 100%. Take responsibility for the schools on that list right now?

Sure, whatever helps you sleep better tonight. :pac:

And you verified that with the principal and tge public health team. Also how many others got infected by Corona because of that?

I know the principal.

I know the principal.

That's the difference though. I believe you but to make it proper news you would have to contact HSE to put forward their side of the story. They probably wouldn't comment but at the same time something like that posted online can't be considered more than gossip without all the checks. Gossip can be true but it doesn't make it real news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

I think there will need to be some whistleblowing about the shenanigans that is going on in schools at the minute.

A school known to me...

School X has a child displaying Covid symptoms at school. Child is then sent to Isolation room at school and parents follows procedures, calls GP and child is tested positive for Covid.

Child's 2 siblings are then showing symptoms of Covid but are not in school at the time (say weekend). Both siblings then test positive for Covid.

School then remains open and the school is told by HSE to keep siblings Covid cases as confidential as they did not display symptoms at school. WTF!

To me, should this not be treated as a cluster and school closed in this case!!

That's the difference though. I believe you but to make it proper news you would have to contact HSE to put forward their side of the story. They probably wouldn't comment but at the same time something like that posted online can't be considered more than gossip without all the checks. Gossip can be true but it doesn't make it real news.

I believe the principal. Dismiss all you want but it doesn't change the truth of the matter.

• Advertisement

Clear information that no one can try and deny, twist it or try and portray as fake.

316 cases in people aged 5 to 14 in the time period 12th to 25th of September.

186 in the two weeks before that.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-1914-dayepidemiologyreports/COVID-19_14_day_epidemiology_report_Website_26092020.pdf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement