Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

So are you now trying to say that 400+ cases in the 5-14yr age range since August the 29th are "made up facts"?

No I’m not.

As I understand it those figures came from hse Or some other govt body.

Are you suggesting the hse have made up facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Will Yam wrote: »
    No I’m not.

As I understand it those figures came from hse Or some other govt body.

Are you suggesting the hse have made up facts?

Seriously you are just making muck of this thread at this stage.

You can forget about the aul Facebook group now. All it provides us is with some idea of what schools are having cases.

Another huge jump in cases again today, 430.

That is a particularly serious number. It’s a Sunday when one would expect a drop. And it’s over a week since Dublin went to level 3 so one would expect at least some levelling off.

Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

430 FFS, it's not rocket science as to how it's spreading, these whishy washy half assed rules for one group but not another group are causing this, what is the difference between 17-19 year olds at third level and those at post primary, yet one group is remote learning and the others arnt!

430 FFS, it's not rocket science as to how it's spreading, these whishy washy half assed rules for one group but not another group are causing this, what is the difference between 17-19 year olds at third level and those at post primary, yet one group is remote learning and the others arnt!

What would you suggest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Most definitely not a coincidence. Of course we need schools open, but not in this fashion. Things will get a hell of a lot worse over the coming months.

It's a pity that this thread has gotten ruined with ridiculousness, as it could be a good place to discuss for proper people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

jrosen wrote: »
    Just saw that.. When are people going to cop on.

Why is it someone’s ‘fault’ if they catch a highly contagious virus. They could hide out for days & catch it just walking into the shop. Masks, sanitisers etc just reduce the risk, they don’t eliminate it. Do you tell people to ‘cop on’ if they’re diagnosed with another illness or just Covid?

Seriously you are just making muck of this thread at this stage.

You can forget about the aul Facebook group now. All it provides us is with some idea of what schools are having cases.

And if you could have access to data from a reliable source, what data would that be?

What would you suggest?

A hybrid approach with tv/radio broadcasting, week on week off so as to have less students in classes, shorter days so no lunch breaks etc. Remote learning with teams or something akin to it, there are ways to help lessen schools effects on this thing particularly at post primary level.

A hybrid approach with tv/radio broadcasting, week on week off so as to have less students in classes, shorter days so no lunch breaks etc. Remote learning with teams or something akin to it, there are ways to help lessen schools effects on this thing particularly at post primary level.

So would that be half in, half out each week, or schools closed every other week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Why is it someone’s ‘fault’ if they catch a highly contagious virus. They could hide out for days & catch it just walking into the shop. Masks, sanitisers etc just reduce the risk, they don’t eliminate it. Do you tell people to ‘cop on’ if they’re diagnosed with another illness or just Covid?

People are catching covid because they are not following guidelines. We are still being asked to limit our contacts. Its clear with the increase in numbers that some people are not.
    We will see restrictions continue

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Unfortunately that is unlikely to work. No standardised online/hybrid teaching plan from the Govt, and some teachers unwilling to do the hybrid thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Treppen

Going by the admin post from one of the FB pages the Department have copped on to the Facebook pages and stopped issuing letters for some schools. Phone call only. Then school does phone notification.

So would that be half in, half out each week, or schools closed every other week.

Half in one week half in the next so schools would be fully open, just half the students in. Students would have no homework etc first week, week off would be all homework. Just one of the few ideas that could work to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Half in one week half in the next so schools would be fully open, just half the students in. Students would have no homework etc first week, week off would be all homework. Just one of the few ideas that could work to help.

Thats too complicated a model. It would mean kids being in school every second week. Who looks after them the week they are not in school? Thats what this boils down too.

jrosen wrote: »
    People are catching covid because they are not following guidelines. We are still being asked to limit our contacts. Its clear with the increase in numbers that some people are not.
    We will see restrictions continue

The idea that someone could hunker down all the time, and then run into a shop for a pint of milk, with a mask on, socially distancing, and sanitising their hands and catch Covid as a result is absurd.

It’s because of unnecessary social gatherings that Covid is spreading.

The growth rate in new cases has dropped significantly over the past two weeks, and the % of cases in the 5-14 and 15-24 year old age groups is unchanged since the beginning of September. Cases are growing at the same rate in nearly all age groups. School is not driving the increase, it is following the increase

Think I'm going to have to leave this thread, people just can't see how in anyway possible schools are increasing the spread of this ****ing virus, there's solutions that other smarter countries are employing that we could use, the simplistic excuse of schools need to be there as a child minding service is not good enough at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Think I'm going to have to leave this thread, people just can't see how in anyway possible schools are increasing the spread of this ****ing virus, there's solutions that other smarter countries are employing that we could use, the simplistic excuse of schools need to be there as a child minding service is not good enough at the moment.

What are other countries doing that would work here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I'm genuinely not saying there is not Covid spread in schools but there is a huge difference between the lifestyle of college kids as against what post primary kids living under their parents rules are doing. Third level students are often away from home, living in houses full of students inviting other houseloads of students over every night of the week, drinking, hooking up, going to parties and raves. My own niece declined to go with her college mates to Galway this weekend with 15 others, all either living or from Dublin too I might add. That is why I really wish they would separate out the figures for each age group. Lumping them in together is meaningless.

• Advertisement

The growth rate in new cases has dropped significantly over the past two weeks, and the % of cases in the 5-14 and 15-24 year old age groups is unchanged since the beginning of September. Cases are growing at the same rate in nearly all age groups. School is not driving the increase, it is following the increase

Not quite.

As was referenced in this thread earlier the increase in kids of school going age was 70%. The increase in same period (last 2 weeks from memory) was 92%.

So, 2 conclusions

1. Community cases are driving school cases, not the other way round.

2. The performance in schools is much better than in society as a whole. One would have imagined that rates in schools would have skyrocketed once they went back relative to society in general. But that is not the case, so far.

And if you could have access to data from a reliable source, what data would that be?

Without being promoted I've already stated this earlier today. Stop asking to be spoonfed.

What are other countries doing that would work here?

Go look I couldn't be arsed anymore

Respect your view icy, however the evidence is that’s its society driving the increase as the rate in kids has not increased relative to the remainder of the population, and also that the growth is slowing as a% of the population are already modifying their behaviour.

And while some may see school as a childminder service, I believe for most, well from the parents I talk to locally anyway, it the education and the development of the child that matters most.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

Go look I couldn't be arsed anymore

Not only that it has to have been posted and discussed here at least a dozen times. It's frustrating and irritating. Teachinggal has been part of those discussions, too. Now it's just arguing for the sake of it. Feeling like this thread isn't worth it anymore.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I'm genuinely not saying there is not Covid spread in schools but there is a huge difference between the lifestyle of college kids as against what post primary kids living under their parents rules are doing. Third level students are often away from home, living in houses full of students inviting other houseloads of students over every night of the week, drinking, hooking up, going to parties and raves. My own niece declined to go with her college mates to Galway this weekend with 15 others, all either living or from Dublin too I might add. That is why I really wish they would separate out the figures for each age group. Lumping them in together is meaningless.

But I don’t think the solution you propose would solve your problem.

If you take a school in stranrolar (330+ cases/100,000) and a school in,say, skibereen (less than 5 cases/100,000), what benefit is it to either to know the average?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I gave a litany of examples of what suggestions were made from teaching organisations and boards of management. Many many posters have spotted problems with the guidelines from back in July and tried to engage in good faith to reach constructive suggestions.

We now have covid deniers, mask conspiracy theorists, many posters who have been warned as to their posting style and more all dominating the thread. To what end? Govt shills? To create anarchy? To have a go at teachers owing to their own arrested development?

I genuinely don't understand it,especially why certain people spend all day every day trying to nitpick their way to a "got ya" moment. It is the highest form of intellectual dishonesty, and I'm surprised it has been permitted to take hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

First child hospitalized in the 5-14 age group since July.

Smacruairi wrote: »
    I gave a litany of examples of what suggestions were made from teaching organisations and boards of management. Many many posters have spotted problems with the guidelines from back in July and tried to engage in good faith to reach constructive suggestions.

We now have covid deniers, mask conspiracy theorists, many posters who have been warned as to their posting style and more all dominating the thread. To what end? Govt shills? To create anarchy? To have a go at teachers owing to their own arrested development?

I genuinely don't understand it,especially why certain people spend all day every day trying to nitpick their way to a "got ya" moment. It is the highest form of intellectual dishonesty, and I'm surprised it has been permitted to take hold.

Some posters have got multiple inthread warnings with regards to the tone and quality of their posting, multiple time period bans but always return to their common thread within this thread of baiting. Some of it is a belief in what they post but quite a lot of it is very blatant arguing for arguments sake.

If the sky is blue some would argue of the hue of blue it is. Nothing constructive.

• Advertisement

If there's even the smallest possibility that kids aged 4-19 can spread this to each other, even the smallest sliver of a chance, it's happening in schools, working in a school with 800 students in small rooms and corridors would highlight this fact to anyone with a functioning level of intellect within 10 minutes of being in such a school. The fact that it's not being reported on should highlight it even more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement