Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Will Yam wrote: »
    No, not yet.

Over 24 hours now so no news is generally expected to be good news as they prioritise contacting the positive cases - quite rightly.

That's strange Willy. I was tested at approximately the same time as you yesterday and I've my results. You will be delighted to know I was negative.
    They gave me a very useful information booklet with all the information required on self isolation. It is all clearly explained. I'm astonished it was beyond your comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Jucifer wrote: »
    The figures quoted do not necessarily mean that schools are not causing an increase in transmission. The virus may not be spreading at a high rate within the schools due to controls but it may be a significant route of transmission between households.

Consider the scenario where a child gets infected in schools and the child goes on to infect both parents and an aunt. He is asymptomatic and before the cluster is discovered passes it onto another child in school. This child passes it on to their father and two grandparents. So in this scenario we have 2 children infected in the class but 6 adults.

This is obviously just a hypothetical situation but it does demonstrate how opening schools could be a key driver of increasing cases without necessarily seeing a higher case rate in school children.

Indeed.

And this dynamic can exist in lots of settings - pubs, restaurants, retail outlets etc etc.

Everywhere there is mingling there is risk.

That's strange Willy. I was tested at approximately the same time as you yesterday and I've my results. You will be delighted to know I was negative.
    They gave me a very useful information booklet with all the information required on self isolation. It is all clearly explained. I'm astonished it was beyond your comprehension.

Well there you go.

Good to know you were negative.

Ps you prompted me to look at my texts. Negative here too.

So at least we have something in common!

One would think that.

But reading the regs would make me wonder - they are not clear, really.

And of course the medical expertise here helps..............

If you read something looking for a loophole you will find one, real or imaginary

Well there you go.

Good to know you were negative.

So how come you didn't refer to the booklet Willy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

One would think that.

But reading the regs would make me wonder - they are not clear, really.

And of course the medical expertise here helps..............

Ring your GP. If they referred you for testing they will be able to advise you

Am hearing negatives are returning quicker than borderline positives which need confirmation.

delly wrote: »
    We also have no stats for school staff cases.

I thought there would be a Facebook page

Ring your GP. If they referred you for testing they will be able to advise you

The text makes it clear. 48 hours if you have symptoms.

Am hearing negatives are returning quicker than borderline positives which need confirmation.

I hadn’t heard that.

I was told that they would ring if it was positive, text if it was negative.

• Advertisement

If everything is so clear why are you so confused Willy?

If everything is so clear why are you so confused Willy?

I’m not confused now down.

It was the quacks on here plucking numbers out of the air that confused me.

You know, - 14 days one minute, 48 hours the next and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

See if you explained it properly rather than confusing "a close contact" and "in close contact" then your brain wouldn't have needed to be exercised so much.

As was said nothing that anyone said on here is different to that available on the HSE website or indeed the information book you get at the test facility.

But you had your booklet to refer to Willy. It is all clearly explained.
    I can however understand your confusion because you don't meet any of the criteria for testing. You are, as many of us suspected, unique.

I hadn’t heard that.

I was told that they would ring if it was positive, text if it was negative.

I know someone who was tested Friday as a close contact. They were told they would hear in about 24 hours if it was negative, but it may take longer for a positive and they may need to contact them again within 72 hours for a retest. May be to do with low viral loads near the limit of detection in someone yet to develop symptoms.

Either way, 2 other contacts of this person who were tested Friday got negative resultsSaturday, however the individual I know still had heard nothing earlier this evening. Bit of a hypochondriac so now convinced they are fecked, however it’s been 10 days since they had contact with the case, so looking increasingly likely that they are negative or asymptomatic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Delighted your question has been answered

I can however understand your confusion because you don't meet any of the criteria for testing. You are, as many of us suspected, unique.

Wonder could we submit a FOI request to see what 'symptoms' the GP put down on the referral form? Couldn't have stated please test this fella because he knows someone who is going for a test and would like to be included as well.

Maybe yourself and wireless should have a union meeting about it, down.

You can then decide what medical regime I should be under because of my criteria.

I’ll then tell my gp what you have decided, and I’m sure he will go along with you.

Wonder could we submit a FOI request to see what 'symptoms' the GP put down on the referral form? Couldn't have stated please test this fella because he knows someone who is going for a test and would like to be included as well.

You might come back and proclaim the isolation period is 6 days

That’s one number you haven’t plucked out of the air. Yet.

Maybe you should start Covid bingo. You know, you just keep on plucking figures out of the air until some shouts bingo!

You can then decide what medical regime I should be under because of my criteria.

I’ll then tell my gp what you have decided, and I’m sure he will go along with you.

Now you are rambling. Have a lie down, you are clearly confused after your "testing" day yesterday.

• Advertisement

Willy, Willy, Willy.

Don't be embarrassed that you couldn't get your story out properly. Confusing a and in happens to some.

Maybe you should start Covid bingo. You know, you just keep on plucking figures out of the air until some shouts bingo!

As distinct from someone plucking a "test" out of the air?

Yet you are the guy who couldn't read the booklet that you got, indeed any of us who have been tested got it. I'll put you in the same category as the publican from Roscommon who didn't bother reading it, went back to his pub after his test and is now the patient zero for the Roscommon outbreak.

So how is someone considered a close contact of someone who isn't positive?
    Ask the hse.
    I shall register a complaint with my go first thing in the morning.

I’m sure he will be, erm, completely disinterested in your views.

Willy is it the HSE or your GP who referred you for your "test"?
    You really don't appear to be clear on any sequence of events in the last 36 hrs. I hope they didn't stick the swab too far up your nose and do irreversible damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

A must read for anyone dismissive of covid:

Fatigued: The long road to recovery from Covid-19

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0928/1167831-covid-long-term-effect/

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I am not sure whether this was posted already.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/sep/27/too-many-children-tested-for-covid-leading-study-schools?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Great Ormond St doc is of the view that too many children are being tested without classic Covid symptoms and it is imperative that schools stay open.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

My 7 year old asked me if he could bring some Pokémon cards into school today to trade. I said no and explained that this was the type of thing we can’t do at the moment in school because of Covid. He then turns around and says that kids were trading all last week and it’s not fair that he can’t!

Is this happening in schools everywhere?

What’s the point in name tagging every individual twistable if they are bringing and trading cards. I have been so impressed with his school to date but if this is happening it’s such a pity.

I am not sure whether this was posted already.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/sep/27/too-many-children-tested-for-covid-leading-study-schools?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Great Ormond St doc is of the view that too many children are being tested without classic Covid symptoms and it is imperative that schools stay open.

I agree that education should be kept going as long as is humanly possible. Having said that there are many different ways to skin a cat and the same applies to educating our future. Govt policy is very much head stuck in the sand type thinking. Same goes for a lot of those on here not actually involved in education. A different approach doesn't need to mean closing school buildings but it would necessitate a plan B and C especially so at secondary level so that there is consistency across the board. Government are unable and perhaps more importantly unwilling to even contemplate this. It's almost as if to do so would mean having to admit defeat against an invisible opponent.

Pride comes before a fall is very appropriate in this situation when it comes to those in government.

• Advertisement

cant26 wrote: »
    My 7 year old asked me if he could bring some Pokémon cards into school today to trade. I said no and explained that this was the type of thing we can’t do at the moment in school because of Covid. He then turns around and says that kids were trading all last week and it’s not fair that he can’t!

Is this happening in schools everywhere?

What’s the point in name tagging every individual twistable if they are bringing and trading cards. I have been so impressed with his school to date but if this is happening it’s such a pity.

Card trading is banned in our school regardless of Covid anyway as it always leads to unnecessary arguments and falling outs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement