Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

I am not sure whether this was posted already.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/sep/27/too-many-children-tested-for-covid-leading-study-schools?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Great Ormond St doc is of the view that too many children are being tested without classic Covid symptoms and it is imperative that schools stay open.

A professor at UCL and Great Ormond Street Childrens hospital, what would he know about childrens health

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Card trading is banned in our school regardless of Covid anyway as it always leads to unnecessary arguments and falling outs.

Card trading also banned in our Primary School pre-Covid.
    But this year, no personal toys etc at all allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

cant26 wrote: »
    My 7 year old asked me if he could bring some Pokémon cards into school today to trade. I said no and explained that this was the type of thing we can’t do at the moment in school because of Covid. He then turns around and says that kids were trading all last week and it’s not fair that he can’t!

Is this happening in schools everywhere?

What’s the point in name tagging every individual twistable if they are bringing and trading cards. I have been so impressed with his school to date but if this is happening it’s such a pity.

These cards are like the fidget spinners from last year, all the kids are crazy about them. My own son has me distracted with them, talk about an obsession. We told him he couldn't bring them into school either. After school its card trading time with the other boys on our road though...

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Card trading also banned in our Primary School pre-Covid.
    But this year, no personal toys etc at all allowed.

Our classes were always allowed to bring in footballs but not allowed this year so far. Part of a general reduction of things allowed in from home.

To get around this I'd bought my class two footballs and had been disinfecting them before and after every break so that they could use them. Hopefully the sub that's now in my room is continuing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Poor kids, they just want to be children and have fun with their friends, expecting them to understand why they cannot, and act like fully grown adults (or at least certain ones) is so unreasonable after piling them in as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

khalessi wrote: »
    Hope it doesnt spread and all involved get well soon.

I was just looking at the FB site which now has over 68,000 parents on it. Sad thing is I am watching it for cases in my kids school and in mine, as I reckon I will see cases in my school there first before being told about them.

My kids school seem to be on the ball when it comes to communication thankfully. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Poor kids, they just want to be children and have fun with their friends, expecting them to understand why they cannot, and act like fully grown adults (or at least certain ones) is so unreasonable after piling them in as normal.

Imagine how hard done the kids would be if they weren't piled into schools. And they don't get homework. I don't think ours were ever as delighted to be back in school.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Imagine how hard done the kids would be if they weren't piled into schools. And they don't get homework. I don't think ours were ever as delighted to be back in school.

Very small minority of kids I know that "love" homework and schoolwork, they like being back with their friends.

meeeeh wrote: »

Our school is giving zero homework until next week. Unanimous decision by the mainstream teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Same with ours. Homework starts this week.

Not sure how it's going to work though, as homework will be on the seesaw app. My kids are in an after school, where you can't bring anything, such as tablets in with you. Oh well. We'll figure it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Just to clarify my kids and I are delighted there is no homework. We still weren't informed if it's coming back and I'm taking that as a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Sounds like contact tracing is going well. https://twitter.com/betaburns/status/1310516399295602689

Sounds like contact tracing is going well. https://twitter.com/betaburns/status/1310516399295602689

Sure what can we do rabble rabble, mental health rabble rabble, it's only a flu rabble rabble.

Disgrace :mad:

Unfortunately not the first time I've heard of similar.

System is falling asunder.

Ironic thing is that at the end of last week every school in the country received a rap on the knuckles letter reminding them that they are not allowed under any circumstances do anything or inform anyone of anything unless and until the HSE contact them and direct them as to what to do.

School totally at a loss what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ironic thing is that at the end of last week every school in the country received a rap on the knuckles letter reminding them that they are not allowed under any circumstances do anything or inform anyone of anything unless and until the HSE contact them and direct them as to what to do.

Has the school made contact today? If in doubt principal should take control and send home the effective class and teacher. They are meant to be the leader

How is none of this getting reported on by news outlets, its ****ing baffling

Can principals not make decisions for themselves?

Not allowed. As I already said all schools received a letter last week essentially putting them back in their place with regards to covid.

Not allowed. As I already said all schools received a letter last week essentially putting them back in their place with regards to covid.

That's bull, principal job is the safety of their school, if they feel there is need for it, they can take action especially if HSE didn't get back to them.
    HSE doesn't have any power to punish a school unless they are breaching health safety

The principal is the person onsite with management responsibility. If they believe there is a risk, and contact tracing has not been completed, it would be entirely reasonable for them to send that class home - not for isolation, just pending completing of public health review

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

How is none of this getting reported on by news outlets, it ****ing baffling

Because schools are sacred and special. Even level-5 proof I've heard say...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Finally a bit of reporting on school outbreaks although it is Dublin live so not sure how reliable.

They state that 5 cases in one year in secondary school in Nth Dublin last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This issue is the DES as usual being spineless and deferring all the resposibility to another government department.

The contact tracing process does take time. Time to gather the names of contacts, time to find out where the child goes to school, for an appropriate official to get in touch with the school. If a positive result comes through at 8pm on a Tuesday, there is no way the HSE will be in touch with the school principal by 9am on Wednesday morning.

It's a no brainer. If a parent notifies the teacher (or principal) that their child tested positive, the classroom should be immediately closed while an assessment is carried out. If the HSE say it's safe to reopen, then they do so.

The principals have the power to do this regardless of what the DES says. The DES hasn't the balls to do anything about a principal who can say they were genuinely acting in the best interests of their staff & students. The unions would annihilate any disciplinary attempt.

The DES should be disbanded and rebuilt from scratch. Between this and the Leaving Cert shambles, what a complete waste of space they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I know a principal who made that decision. They were told in no uncertain terms by the Inspectorate not to do it again. The call is to be made by the HSE only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

The principal is the person onsite with management responsibility. If they believe there is a risk, and contact tracing has not been completed, it would be entirely reasonable for them to send that class home - not for isolation, just pending completing of public health review

Not necessarily. According to the advice semt to schools they should basically trust the process and assume all is fine.

Guidance available at https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/a0bff-reopening-our-primary-and-special-schools/

Document is called COVID-19 Schools Community Testing Pathway
    FAQs for school principals or designated contact person

It is an eye-opening read to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I know a principal who made that decision. They were told in no uncertain terms by the Inspectorate not to do it again. The call is to be made by the HSE only.
    Really just needs one principal to make the call and you'll see just how little power the Inspectorate has to stop them.

Even in the private sector, a site manager who shut down a site for the safety of the staff on site, would have a slam dunk case if any disciplinary action was taken against them.

There's zero chance in the public sector that the DES could do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

I think I read an article on RTE News with something along the lines of M.M. saying in a speech how teenagers should reduce their contacts with people as much as possible and that he “understands it’s frustrating for them to do, but they must do it to reduce the spread of the virus” (I think it was when we were reaching about 100 cases a day, 1 1/2 weeks ago) and I just have a small question.

How do I possibly “reduce my contact with people” when I’m forced to be in contact with up to 100 people in school everyday? I don’t understand what I’m meant to do here.

(I’m in Dublin btw and have an underlying health condition, which I think some people know because I feel I’ve mentioned it before)

I’m not sure what I do here, how does he expect teenagers to “reduce their contacts” when they’re in schools with peers and teachers everyday. :confused:

seamus wrote: »
    Really just needs one principal to make the call and you'll see just how little power the Inspectorate has to stop them.

Even in the private sector, a site manager who shut down a site for the safety of the staff on site, would have a slam dunk case if any disciplinary action was taken against them.

There's zero chance in the public sector that the DES could do anything.

Trust me no school wants to get on the bad side of the inspectorate.

They can make like very difficult for a school if they were to decide to. Maybe not currently but there is always next year for them to be out and about again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

seamus wrote: »
    This issue is the DES as usual being spineless and deferring all the resposibility to another government department.

The contact tracing process does take time. Time to gather the names of contacts, time to find out where the child goes to school, for an appropriate official to get in touch with the school. If a positive result comes through at 8pm on a Tuesday, there is no way the HSE will be in touch with the school principal by 9am on Wednesday morning.

It's a no brainer. If a parent notifies the teacher (or principal) that their child tested positive, the classroom should be immediately closed while an assessment is carried out. If the HSE say it's safe to reopen, then they do so.

The principals have the power to do this regardless of what the DES says. The DES hasn't the balls to do anything about a principal who can say they were genuinely acting in the best interests of their staff & students. The unions would annihilate any disciplinary attempt.

The DES should be disbanded and rebuilt from scratch. Between this and the Leaving Cert shambles, what a complete waste of space they are.

There appears to be little or no communication between the DES and the HSE. All schools received an email on Thursday evening from the DES. Attached to the email was a template for a database for contact tracing. The DES already has databases at primary and secondary level but these are not transferable to the HSE template and they won't accept any alternative. Each adult and child in the school has to be inputted individually. Even in a small school with a hundred pupils it will be time consuming, especially as the secretary is probably part time and the principal has a class to teach, but in a school with a thousand pupils it will take forever.

• Advertisement

Trust me no school wants to get on the bad side of the inspectorate.

They can make like very difficult for a school if they were to decide to. Maybe not currently but there is always next year for them to be out and about again.

Well what's more important, the kids and teachers or a HSE making things difficulty.

If a death happens the principal would never forgive themselves

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement