Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

There appears to be little or no communication between the DES and the HSE. All schools received an email on Thursday evening from the DES. Attached to the email was a template for a database for contact tracing. The DES already has databases at primary and secondary level but these are not transferable to the HSE template and they won't accept any alternative. Each adult and child in the school has to be inputted individually. Even in a small school with a hundred pupils it will be time consuming, especially as the secretary is probably part time and the principal has a class to teach, but in a school with a thousand pupils it will take forever.

Thankfully aladdin released an update over the weekend which allows details on their system to be exported in the manner in which it has been requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Thankfully aladdin released an update over the weekend which allows details on their system to be exported in the manner in which it has been requested.

A service that schools pay for. The information on POD and PPOD should have been sufficient if government departments communicated with one another.

French schools must get a different version of Covid than we do in the land of leprechauns seeing as their public health bulletin reports that a third of clusters in the country are related to schools.

Good export opportunity for the fairy dust we sprinkle at the doors of our schools that keeps the aul Covid out.

https://www.lemonde.fr/education/article/2020/09/26/covid-19-un-tiers-des-clusters-concerne-l-ecole-et-l-universite_6053758_1473685.html

A service that schools pay for. The information on POD and PPOD should have been sufficient if government departments communicated with one another.

I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

TTLF wrote: »
    I think I read an article on RTE News with something along the lines of M.M. saying in a speech how teenagers should reduce their contacts with people as much as possible and that he “understands it’s frustrating for them to do, but they must do it to reduce the spread of the virus” (I think it was when we were reaching about 100 cases a day, 1 1/2 weeks ago) and I just have a small question.

How do I possibly “reduce my contact with people” when I’m forced to be in contact with up to 100 people in school everyday? I don’t understand what I’m meant to do here.

(I’m in Dublin btw and have an underlying health condition, which I think some people know because I feel I’ve mentioned it before)

I’m not sure what I do here, how does he expect teenagers to “reduce their contacts” when they’re in schools with peers and teachers everyday. :confused:

Just do your best in school with regards masks, sharing equipment, and keeping to your group of friends, there's nothing more you as a student can do, it's not yer fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

French schools must get a different version of Covid than we do in the land of leprechauns seeing as their public health bulletin reports that a third of clusters in the country are related to schools.

Good export opportunity for the fairy dust we sprinkle at the doors of our schools that keeps the aul Covid out.

https://www.lemonde.fr/education/article/2020/09/26/covid-19-un-tiers-des-clusters-concerne-l-ecole-et-l-universite_6053758_1473685.html

Yep they close schools and reopen them. I am sure Ireland will do the same if we get that bad on the numbers.

Yep they close schools and reopen them. I am sure Ireland will do the same if we get that bad on the numbers.

Not the point i was getting at. At least they are open about the role schools are playing in the rise in numbers. Here everything and anything except for schools are named.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Not the point i was getting at. At least they are open about the role schools are playing in the rise in numbers. Here everything and anything except for schools are named.

+1

They are not being honest about this. The fact that schools will remain open at the highest level 5 is proof that the Gov will do anything to keep the schools open up to and including loss of life.

There is a lot of misdirection going on with them claiming there is very little school transmission, which they couldn't possibly know because the contact tracing is not robust enough.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Sacre bleu!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

• Advertisement

Not necessarily. According to the advice semt to schools they should basically trust the process and assume all is fine.

Guidance available at https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/a0bff-reopening-our-primary-and-special-schools/

Document is called COVID-19 Schools Community Testing Pathway
    FAQs for school principals or designated contact person

It is an eye-opening read to say the least.

What it doesn't say is if the principal is aware of information, and has yet to be contact by public health, he cannot act pending further information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

+1

They are not being honest about this. The fact that schools will remain open at the highest level 5 is proof that the Gov will do anything to keep the schools open up to and including loss of life.

There is a lot of misdirection going on with them claiming there is very little school transmission, which they couldn't possibly know because the contact tracing is not robust enough.

If they are suppressing the facts and changing the rules for schools such that they are risking lives of elderly relatives, teachers and even children then, I hope there is a public inquiry when its all over and those responsible for this suppression of the facts are jailed, because they are surely putting lives at risk.

combat14 wrote: »

The 7 day rate in Liverpool is 242 cases per 100,000. 6 times our rate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

The 7 day rate in Liverpool is 242 cases per 100,000. 6 times our rate

Is it not over 300 per 100,000 in areas in Ireland where schools are fully open?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

France aren't reporting anything different.

In France, schools and Unis make up 30% of clusters when you exclude private residences and nursing homes.

It's there in the article.

In the last published HPSC report on cluster, schools made up about 15% of new clusters when you exclude private homes and nursing homes.

Considering that Irish colleges aren't really back in any real way and will have considerable levels of online learning, we shouldn't see the same figures as France.

alroley wrote: »
    Is it not over 300 per 100,000 in areas in Ireland where schools are fully open?

The Liverpool rate is a 7 day not 14 day rate. The highest LEA here has a 14 day rate of 300 in an area with a population of 21,000. Liverpool's 7 day incidence is 242 in an area with 500,000 people. But you are right - as I have said all along, the actions should follow the data in that area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

JimmyVik wrote: »
    If they are suppressing the facts and changing the rules for schools such that they are risking lives of elderly relatives, teachers and even children then, I hope there is a public inquiry when its all over and those responsible for this suppression of the facts are jailed, because they are surely putting lives at risk.

They are being very sly about it. They are not gathering the facts in contact tracing, as any logical person knows that there is a high probability that school transmission figures are much higher than they suggest in sound bites.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

What it doesn't say is if the principal is aware of information, and has yet to be contact by public health, he cannot act pending further information.

This section says to await public health contacting them (the principal) my reading of that was to do nothing and await the process playing out. (I don't agree with that approach)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

We need maverick principals with principles

We need maverick principals with principles

In principle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

oh, so "same day or may be next day" is the message there.

whatever is causing the delays of more than 1 day should be sanctioned then - for sure there should be some penalties for not meeting the expected SLAs ?

e.g. school principal in my town was told Sunday evening by HSE about a confirmed case, but HSE knew from Wednesday before. outrageous ! and I assume now this is not a rare occurrence, this IS an undesired trend by neither teachers or parents involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

seamus wrote: »
    France aren't reporting anything different.

In France, schools and Unis make up 30% of clusters when you exclude private residences and nursing homes.

Schools have been back a number of weeks and the numbers of schools with cases has slowly increased. The numbers of schools with clusters have also increased. The fact that schools closed has barely appeared in the media. The only place it is brought up is in The Sun, an article by Damien Lane last week and Dublin Live I think. Why the hushed tones? I understand they want to keep schools open but transparency is important. Why did the HSE intervene and say when 30 teachers were contacted that it was a glitch? All was fine till they were discovered to be teachers. Why do the practices called upon elsewhere not apply in schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

In principle

It's the principal requirement right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

+1

One thing I don’t understand is what data they based the original information on that schools are not a significant channel for transmission. I mean they were all closed for most first wave in many countries so what data did they analyse to come to the conclusion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

Two nuggets from today:

- My spouse received a text from the HSE over the weekend naming him and his age and stating his test results were negative. Trouble is, he never took a test. Obviously someone's number was put in incorrectly and wasn't double-checked against the data on file at any stage. Some man or woman (or child) still out there (hopefully) isolating awaiting their test results. :-s HSE said they will follow up.

- One of our kids is in a classroom facing out to the road. We were told classroom windows/ventilation would be used to the full and that coats were to be sent daily if the classroom became too cold. Multiple days the windows have been closed and teacher was finally spoken to today. They were closed because the room got too cold. No coats were put on. You can't make this shít up.

Two nuggets from today:

- My spouse received a text from the HSE over the weekend naming him and his age and stating his test results were negative. Trouble is, he never took a test. Obviously someone's number was put in incorrectly and wasn't double-checked against the data on file at any stage. Some man or woman (or child) still out there (hopefully) isolating awaiting their test results. :-s HSE said they will follow up.

- One of our kids is in a classroom facing out to the road. We were told classroom windows/ventilation would be used to the full and that coats were to be sent daily if the classroom became too cold. Multiple days the windows have been closed and teacher was finally spoken to today. They were closed because the room got too cold. No coats were put on. You can't make this shít up.

Who spoke to the teacher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

Two nuggets from today:

As the weather gets colder and children/teachers start to get sniffles, sitting in a cold room all day with windows open will make them sicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Jucifer wrote: »
    As the weather gets colder and children/teachers start to get sniffles, sitting in a cold room all day with windows open will make them sicker.

And if covid is present sitting in warm unventilated rooms will make them sick with something slightly worse than the common sniffle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Jucifer wrote: »

Now I'm confused about this. As far as I understand it, there is nothing about cold air that makes you catch a cold or makes you sicker when you have a cold. Quite the opposite. Colds in winter are caught in warm unventilated indoor environments which people frequent more because it is cold outside.

If the windows are open in a classroom in winter your child will be less likely to catch a cold. If your child already has a cold, nothing about the windows being open will make that cold worse. It will be unpleasant to be in a cold room, certainly if you don't have thermals and a coat on, but it won't make you sicker. What will make you sicker is being in school with a cold, and then catching another of the 50 variants of the common cold in that same classroom, because the windows are closed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

Who spoke to the teacher?

My spouse. Any suggestion on next step? Speak to principal? Find out why the rads can't be put on more too?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement