Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

Jucifer wrote: »
    As the weather gets colder and children/teachers start to get sniffles, sitting in a cold room all day with windows open will make them sicker.

Care to link to medical research on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

My spouse. Any suggestion on next step? Speak to principal? Find out why the rads can't be put on more too?

Leave it and see if anything changes get.

Just be aware that you could have different parents demanding that the windows be left shut now. Know of a weak principal who after demanding that all windows be left, has now switched to all windows must be kept closed due to representations from some noisy parents.

The window/ventilation thing is only advice/recommendation so a weak principal might just agree to whoever is the loudest rather than making a decision and sticking to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭niamh247

seamus wrote: »
    France aren't reporting anything different.

In France, schools and Unis make up 30% of clusters when you exclude private residences and nursing homes.

It's there in the article.

In the last published HPSC report on cluster, schools made up about 15% of new clusters when you exclude private homes and nursing homes.

Considering that Irish colleges aren't really back in any real way and will have considerable levels of online learning, we shouldn't see the same figures as France.
    It's like saying the war can only kill 10% of the army which we are willing to loose, because that is a small number. That makes sense only if that 10% damage is distributed equally to ALL households. Infection is not a fall of stock price which affects everyone equally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Jucifer wrote: »
    One thing I don’t understand is what data they based the original information on that schools are not a significant channel for transmission. I mean they were all closed for most first wave in many countries so what data did they analyse to come to the conclusion

I hypothesise that they are basing it not from fact based data, but from the original assumption that the virus was not present in small respiratory droplets and as such, children were not only had less severe symptoms (if any at all) but the chances of the disease being transmitted from child to adult due to height difference was much less.
    My spouse. Any suggestion on next step? Speak to principal? Find out why the rads can't be put on more too?

No suggestion on action to take, but having the heating on full blast will do nothing more than increase the heating bill. Schools are generally poorly insulated in the first place. Open the windows and only the students clinging to the radiators will benefit.
    Care to link to medical research on that?

There must be a reason the doctor suggests to keep warm and drink plenty of fluids when you have a nasty cold.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

Gotcha? Wtf. I don’t know why you though you got.

Follow the data and apply logic. The rate in school age people is not increasing relative to other age groups. They are in a controlled environment meaning they are more likely to be identified in contact tracing than most other places bar their own home, and even if sufficient numbers are not being identified as contacts, those that are will be those closest and therefore most at risk and the data would shift. The indicators are that the school return has been a relative, though not unqualified success, driven by the efforts of all involved, and hampered by a lack of clarity over how the system works.

Looks like you are very confident about school return being successful. Mind sharing your data? Does that include the 5 school cases today?

niamh247 wrote: »
    Looks like you are very confident about school return being successful. Mind sharing your data? Does that include the 5 school cases today?

You can look at my posting history back to the beginning of this thread if you like. I have always said cases will occur in schools, clusters will occur in school, classes will be isolated for 2 weeks, schools will close for two week. "Success" is the majority of schools opening for the majority of the school year with overall case numbers remaining at a level we can manage

Leave it and see if anything changes get.

Just be aware that you could have different parents demanding that the windows be left shut now. Know of a weak principal who after demanding that all windows be left, has now switched to all windows must be kept closed due to representations from some noisy parents.

The window/ventilation thing is only advice/recommendation so a weak principal might just agree to whoever is the loudest rather than making a decision and sticking to it.

Thanks for that, will leave it so and see what comes. It was put on paper though in the reopening policy for the school, and nothing to that was amended so far. It's fairly warm today, and still the windows were closed because it being "too cold?" I could see in the gale force winds forecasted at the end of the week, but today? :rolleyes: I don't like the idea of them being closed all winter. Why aren't the gov't giving more funding then for extra heating since it was advice/recommended to ventilate rooms?

No suggestion on action to take, but having the heating on full blast will do nothing more than increase the heating bill. Schools are generally poorly insulated in the first place. Open the windows and only the students clinging to the radiators will benefit.

It's a new build, so not sure about being poorly insulated. Many other schools probably facing these same problems in very old buildings though. :(

There must be a reason the doctor suggests to keep warm and drink plenty of fluids when you have a nasty cold.

Keep warm for comfort? Fluids not really part of this scenario unless you want to also talk about eating well and rest, but that's not really what we're talking about here...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

For alot of us parents that are being careful and limiting contacts, schools are practically the only way our kids/us are going to contract the virus. Stats and data go out the window when it lands in your kids school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

oh ffs :rolleyes: its becoming nothing but a joke at this stage

Is the link to the article different for everyone else? Its an article based on the opinion of one consultant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Rads question is probably quite easy to answer: money. Many schools just can't afford to put the heating on regularly. A lot of radiators would be under windows as well which is a bit counterproductive when trying to heat the room.

I used to be in a classroom that was so small, all the windows had to be closed when it rained as otherwise children got drenched. You could move them away from it a bit alright but it wasn't very effective and moving them not an option this year. I don't envy the teacher in there now.

Is the link to the article different for everyone else? Its an article based on the opinion of one consultant.

bit of an inside joke here and reference to another poster at the start of the thread who was all about hiring tents. Don't look back it was painful reading, trust me on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

An all girls school on the northside where some of the young ladies behaved rather irresponsibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

An all girls school on the northside where some of the young ladies behaved rather irresponsibly.

how so?

Meanwhile headlines in the UK look like this:
    "New questions over government's chaotic curfew scheme as it emerges hospitality sector was to blame for just THREE PER CENT of all coronavirus outbreaks last week - while schools were behind 42%"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Remember when that poster said they could fit all students in room... Then forgot they had to exist in 3d.

To be fair though, a marquee or awning for a ty workshop etc wouldn't be bad, but I know someone in a camp shop and A the cost for a big one is huge, B some places they won't put them down because the wind is too strong, and c, the demand is massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Remember when that poster said they could fit all students in room... Then forgot they had to exist in 3d.

To be fair though, a marquee or awning for a ty workshop etc wouldn't be bad, but I know someone in a camp shop and A the cost for a big one is huge, B some places they won't put them down because the wind is too strong, and c, the demand is massive.

In all fairness he was fierce handy with the oul copy and paste. Fierce handy...

Oh do tell 😇

Smacruairi wrote: »

I often wonder what new identity they took on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

If a contact of a contact has tested positive for COVID, what's the craic? Lets say a teacher has a child whose mother went for a test on Friday and it came back positive today. The child is now self isolating until a test, but does the teacher have to?

funnydoggy wrote: »
    If a contact of a contact has tested positive for COVID, what's the craic? Lets say a teacher has a child whose mother went for a test on Friday and it came back positive today. The child is now self isolating until a test, but does the teacher have to?

Teacher is not a close contact of a positive case so nothing to do. Now if the child tests positive then going on previous examples there is a very low chance that the teacher will be considered a close contact and thus require testing.

No, not unless the child tests positive and only then if the teacher is considered a close contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Teacher is not a close contact of a positive case so nothing to do. Now if the child tests positive then going on previous examples there is a very low chance that the teacher will be considered a close contact and thus require testing.

Said teacher would be a close contact (SNA) of the (very autistic) child alright.. no social distancing, body fluids everywhere etc.

Said teacher would be a close contact (SNA) of the (very autistic) child alright.. no social distancing, body fluids everywhere etc.

Still nothing unless the child tests positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 werenotthere

School in Bangor has to close for 2 weeks due to covid outbreak, but it definitely doesnt spread among kids South of the border

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement