Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

School in Bangor has to close for 2 weeks due to covid outbreak, but it definitely doesnt spread among kids South of the border

Must follow the same rules as the Chernobyl radiation so. That affected some of the sheep in the North but never came south of the border. Strong border that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

khalessi wrote: »
    Must follow the same rules as the Chernobyl radiation so. That affected some of the sheep in the North but never came south of the border. Strong border that.

Theres a strong magnetic field centred over Carlingford Lough, it acts like a barrier to radiation and viruses. Didnt work for foot and mouth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

Care to link to medical research on that?

Sorry I always thought the advice was to stay warm and get rest when had a cold. If that is just an old wives tale I am happy to be corrected. Didn’t think I was saying anything controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Talisman

My daughter is in the affected class. The three cases announced on Friday are close contacts of the first case.

The pupils are not seated 1m apart and the classrooms have not been ventilated so the spread is hardly surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Talisman wrote: »
    My daughter is in the affected class. The three cases announced on Friday are close contacts of the first case.

The pupils are not seated 1m apart and the classrooms have not been ventilated so the spread is hardly surprising.

How many were tested after the initial case?

• Advertisement

How many were tested after the initial case?
    We don't know, everything is very hush hush. The initial email said if the HSE had not contacted us then it meant that our daughter was not on the list of contacts.

We don't know, everything is very hush hush. The initial email said if the HSE had not contacted us then it meant that our daughter was not on the list of contacts.

Do the kids not talk amongst themselves about who was tezted and all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

you mean after they got the all clear ?
    - my one is telling me she heard someone in her class got tested - should I believe what another 13 yo is saying to her on the corridor about this ?

mvl wrote: »
    you mean after they got the all clear ?
    - my one is telling me she heard someone in her class got tested - should I believe what another 13 yo is saying to her on the corridor about this ?

Kids in my primary class all know who has been tested as they all openly talk about it. No stigma about it at all.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Jucifer wrote: »
    Sorry I always thought the advice was to stay warm and get rest when had a cold. If that is just an old wives tale I am happy to be corrected. Didn’t think I was saying anything controversial.

Cold air doesn't cause sniffles, but cold air does cause a narrowing of the airways, which can then lead to coughing or a shortness of breath. If you have asthma, cold air can have a very bad effect.

• Advertisement

After the news broke on Monday half the students in the class didn't show up on Tuesday. Would it be fair to assume they were considered close contacts or were they staying away as a precaution? By Monday of this week most of them had returned but there were 15 students absent across the classes in the year.

They have been told to prepare for their schooling to move online before the mid term break.

After the news broke on Monday half the students in the class didn't show up on Tuesday. Would it be fair to assume they were considered close contacts or were they staying away as a precaution? By Monday of this week most of them had returned but there were 15 students absent across the classes in the year.

They have been told to prepare for their schooling to move online before the mid term break.

Probably a mixture of both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

For how long?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

s1ippy wrote: »

I will take the word of the CMO over a schoolbook author thanks

Absolutely no agenda, never has a medical person or team or advisor had to toe the political line...? How do you reconcile direct contradictions from other high ranking medical official's then? How about Mike Ryan of WHO, stating that children 10 years of age and older contract and spread the virus at least as well as adults do and recommends masks under certain conditions? Care to offer an explanation as to why some countries have looked at that evidence and either implemented mask wearing/perspex desk shields for all or moved to hybrid/total online learning for young children then, and we have not?

Listening to the ACMO yesterday I personally thought he seems to have forgotten his role. He isn't a politician. Talking about how it is imperative that a child gets their education, we all agree with that sentiment, however that is not Ronan Glynns role. It reeked of someone who has been told/coached in what to say with regards to education.

Absolutely no agenda, never has a medical person or team or advisor had to toe the political line...? How do you reconcile direct contradictions from other high ranking medical official's then? How about Mike Ryan of WHO, stating that children 10 years of age and older contract and spread the virus at least as well as adults do and recommends masks under certain conditions? Care to offer an explanation as to why some countries have looked at that evidence and either implemented mask wearing/perspex desk shields for all or moved to hybrid/total online learning for young children then, and we have not?

Provide the evidence of increased spread in schools relative to the rest of the population then. The argument is not that spread never happens in school, its that is not driving the increased spread. We have also decided as a country the maintaining schools is as important for the future of our country - so we have accepted a level of risk in schools, trying to minimise but not eliminated.

Sh*te memes on twitter is not evidence

I said nothing about evidence.

The meme is funny because it shows how the transmission seems to be occurring based on the experience of those who work in schools.

Lighten up ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Provide the evidence of increased spread in schools relative to the rest of the population then.

Relative to what?

A newsagent, chipper, pub?

Remember there was little or no evidence of transmission in pubs or restaurants in the official reports, but you would have wanted to have a serious acute brain injury to believe that.

Now they seem at least in Cork to be tracing back to pubs, this was seen as an "academic" exercise not long ago. 1 in 5 cases in Cork in the past 2 weeks related to indoor dining or drinking.

Provide the evidence of increased spread in schools relative to the rest of the population then. The argument is not that spread never happens in school, its that is not driving the increased spread. We have also decided as a country the maintaining schools is as important for the future of our country - so we have accepted a level of risk in schools, trying to minimise but not eliminated.

Sh*te memes on twitter is not evidence

Do a google search there yourself, you're the one interested. I've already provided the link to Mike Ryan's official statement on this thread, at least twice. That can be found by simple google search as well, if you care to. Here's a hint for ya, he didn't say it on Twitter.

"We" haven't decided or accepted anything as a country led by a government that was not elected by the people.

By the way, you sidestepped my question and point and ignored it.

Boggles wrote: »
    Relative to what?

Remember there was little or no evidence of transmission in pubs or restaurants in the official reports, but you would have wanted to have a serious acute brain injury to believe that.

Now they seem at least in Cork to be tracing back to pubs, this was seen as an "academic" exercise not long ago. 1 in 5 cases in Cork in the past 2 weeks related to indoor dining or drinking.

Cases are increasing across society as a whole, in a large part down to individual behaviour. School is part of society, so cases in school reflect what is happening in society. I have been consistent on this message since the unfortunate day I stepped into the echo chamber that is this thread.

It is the example provided by Professor Glynn that is driving this however - that is 56 cases from just 1 case in a short period of time. There are others than will be similar, and involve schools at some point in the infection chain. My original point still stands however, it is individual behaviours in communal settings, often less controlled than schools, that is the driver here currently.

Should the increase not stall in Dublin over the next week or so with the closure of pubs and restaurants, then schools public transport etc. become more in Focus. But we control what we can live without most first

Do a google search there yourself, you're the one interested. I've already provided the link to Mike Ryan's official statement on this thread, at least twice. That can be found by simple google search as well, if you care to. Here's a hint for ya, he didn't say it on Twitter.

"We" haven't decided or accepted anything as a country led by a government that was not elected by the people.

Evidence that children can spread the virus is not evidence they are driving the increase in cases. I am not disputing that children are catching and passing on the virus at all. What I am disputing is the narrative based purely on conjecture that opening of the schools is driving our cases load, not least because it started before schools returned

Relative to what?

Sure didnt the 12 staff and pupils in a school in Cork that tested positive all get it in the pub.

It would have been nice if they delayed reopening in August as cases were rising. Im blaming gov etc for the current mess, not the schools. They can only do so much, they had 3 weeks to prepare!

I was suggesting we keep pubs closed so we could use the big empty spaces as additional classroom floorspace to enable social distancing.

Thank Christ we didn't, because it turns out the hospitality sector is really driving transmission... Clearly those buildings are much more risky than the school buildings which are way more crowded.

Luckily school staff aren't close contacts of those they teach, so if any of the students catch covid when they're out in public eating or drinking, there's no risk of giving it to those around them when they go to school.

We really have the whole situation figured out and under control, well done Ireland, playing a blinder as always.

Evidence that children can spread the virus is not evidence they are driving the increase in cases. I am not disputing that children are catching and passing on the virus at all. What I am disputing is the narrative based purely on conjecture that opening of the schools is driving our cases load, not least because it started before schools returned

You're the only one driving that narrative. Is anyone else arguing schools are "driving" rather than schools being part of spread? Schools only started a few weeks ago, bit premature to be arguing a point that they're not drivers anyway. One infected person can cause an outbreak cluster, anywhere. Of course schools are significant.

Regardless, "we" have decided to take precautions in our schools which means that quarantines need to happen, spread will happen, illness will continue to happen, and a lack of teaching subs will continue to happen. We don't have a national plan b remote learning plan that would ensure continuity of learning for our children. We don't have a plan b that caters for the children and staff already negatively affected by the virus and because of the plans "we" made in our schools. That's really the point at the end of the day, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They are "outbreaks" not community transmission (which of course can't be tracked or there is at least minimal effort). AFAIK 5 "outbreaks" have been attributed to public houses, staff that have brought it in.

When was the last time you heard public health or any politician say that public houses are contributing to transmission?

We don't talk about it, it's bad for business.
    If there are only 5 associated with pubs, 5 with restuarants and 2 with hotels, how can they be said to be contributing significantly in the face of 2,018 occurring in private homes
    I have been consistent on this message since the unfortunate day I stepped into the echo chamber that is this thread.

You have indeed been consistent.

You're the only one driving that narrative. Is anyone else arguing schools are "driving" rather than schools being part of spread? Schools only started a few weeks ago, bit premature to be arguing a point that they're not drivers anyway. One infected person can cause an outbreak cluster, anywhere. Of course schools are significant.

Regardless, "we" have decided to take precautions in our schools which means that quarantines need to happen, spread will happen, illness will continue to happen, and a lack of teaching subs will continue to happen. We don't have a national plan b remote learning plan that would ensure continuity of learning for our children. We don't have a plan b that caters for the children and staff already negatively affected by the virus and because of the plans "we" made in our schools. That's really the point at the end of the day, no?

Fortunately I know of some schools preparing for remote learning etc. Whether its across the board or not I dont know. It would be foolish not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Listening to the ACMO yesterday I personally thought he seems to have forgotten his role. He isn't a politician. Talking about how it is imperative that a child gets their education, we all agree with that sentiment, however that is not Ronan Glynns role. It reeked of someone who has been told/coached in what to say with regards to education.

Actually it is his role. (Acting) Chief medical officer is not just the role during the pandemic, it's also in charge of other health issues and child wellbeing is one of them.

Some here are so preoccupied with Corona that you forget there are other issues around. In the past sneering comments were made how things are done in the interest of economy. Guess who pays for education and health in the country? Someone would be very poor CMO if they didn't take into account the health, well-being of kids. Everything should be done that we won't loose future generations. Their education and their economic prospects will be destroyed should their grandparents and parents be prepared to sacrifice their future because they are afraid for themselves. Actively cheered by the unions and their self interest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement