Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

s1ippy wrote: »
    Yes, absolutely. But if you look at homes, there are only between 2 and probably 8 people you can catch it from. In school there are thousands. Which place has more variables?

Your anecdote would not be applicable in the vast majority of cases.

Not really, a close contact is within 2m for in excess of 15 minutes, you don't catch Covid from walking past someone.

To my mind, all of the published numbers makes total sense.

I can't fathom how folk can't believe hundreds of kids are getting Covid from outside of school when the vast majority of cases are outside of schools.

As only 80 odd teachers and stundents have tested positive for Covid from the 4000 odd school tests my anecdote is applicable in the vast majority of the 1,122 Covid cases in the 5 - 14 age range :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Augeo wrote: »
    Not really, a close contact is within 2m for in excess of 15

My corn flakes are all over the kitchen floor after reading that.

You obviously don't know how close contacts work in our schools.

"After private homes (349) and workplaces (16), schools are the most prevalent current source of recorded clusters"

Makes total sense, 13 clusters from schools............... 349 from private homes......... most kids are getting covid at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Not really, a close contact is within 2m for in excess of 15 minutes, you don't catch Covid from walking past someone.

That wishy washy nonsense has been updated last week with more wishy washy nonsense.
    Spending more than 2 hours in an indoor space with someone who has COVID-19 will sometimes count as close or casual contact. This could be an office or a classroom. But it will depend on the size of the room and other factors. Public health doctors or contact tracers will let you know if you are at risk during contact tracing and public health risk assessments.

Size of the room?

I could be wrong here but I have yet to hear of a public doctor or tracer heading to a school with a measuring tape.

My corn flakes are all over the kitchen floor after reading that.

You obviously don't know how close contacts work in our schools.

You dropped your cornflakes a few post ago :)

Yet there have been nearly 900 cases reported in the age range 5-14 since schools went back according to the figures reported. This doesn't include the majority of 2nd level children as they are included in the 15-24 age range.

Figures all here.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-1914-dayepidemiologyreports/
    Apologies, I quoted the 15-24 number in error.

• Advertisement

"After private homes (349) and workplaces (16), schools are the most prevalent current source of recorded clusters"

Makes total sense, 13 clusters from schools............... 349 from private homes......... most kids are getting covid at home.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest, weighted there is far more homes and work places in Ireland than schools.

What do you reckon?

Boggles wrote: »
    That wishy washy nonsense has been updated last week with more wishy washy nonsense.

Size of the room?

I could be wrong here but I have yet to hear of a public doctor or tracer heading to a school with a measuring tape.

The 2m 15 minute thing is the wishy washy nonsense we are all adhering to.

The facts and numbers are all there folks and they make total sense.........

4,328 children and teachers have been tested and the positivity rate in school cases has been 1.9%......80 odd cases

264 cases in total linked to schools

In the past week....... "After private homes (349) and workplaces (16), schools are the most prevalent current source of recorded clusters"

Makes total sense, 13 clusters from schools............... 349 from private homes.........

You dropped your cornflakes a few post ago :)

Again, no idea how close contacts work in schools.

The 2m 15 minute thing is the wishy washy nonsense we are all adhering to.

You wrongly claimed that was the sole criteria for close contacts, I merely corrected you and highlighted the relevant criteria.

You're welcome.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest, weighted there is far more homes and work places in Ireland than schools.

What do you reckon?

13 clusters is a tiny number. there are absolutely loads of schools nationwide and we've folk in here spieling on about " But if you look at homes, there are only between 2 and probably 8 people you can catch it from. In school there are thousands"

Again, for those who won't accept it........... 4,328 children and teachers have been tested and the positivity rate in school cases has been 1.9%......80 odd cases

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

"THE HSE HAS said more than 4,000 children and teachers have been tested for the coronavirus since schools re-opened, with 264 cases in total linked to schools."

That would be the 80 odd cases passing the virus on....... R number is about 1.7.

The number is well over 200, not 80.

You wrongly claimed that was the sole criteria for close contacts, I merely corrected you and highlighted the relevant criteria.

You're welcome.

Sole criteria? You stated it was wishy washy nonsense, it's criteria or it's wishy washy nonsense make up your mind :)

13 clusters is a tiny number.

Sure there is only 7 clusters in pubs.

But they are the first to close.

Strange that isn't it?

It's like the actions are not actually based on the recorded "evidence".

But maybe more nuanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭covid20

Very hard to respect the teachers here who are very vocal about it all being a joke but dutifully go to work regardless. I was never one to disrespect teachers previously.

Did I read that there was some form of strike over the summer?

Some smokescreen from government with all that private home clusters...obviously it entered the home via work/school/community somehow.

Tragic incompetence.

Education is a luxury not a necessity when faced with a situation like this. The economic thinking is completely wrong as the economy will slowly die as the situation drags and drags and drags and this is plain to see for anyone with a shred of cop on.

Living with it is pure fantasy.

Sole criteria? You stated it was wishy washy nonsense, it's criteria or it's wishy washy nonsense make up your mind :)

Ammmmm. It can be both.

Blondini wrote: »
    The number is well over 200, not 80.

Oh my.

THE HSE HAS said more than 4,000 children and teachers have been tested for the coronavirus since schools re-opened, with 264 cases in total linked to schools

4,328 children and teachers have been tested and the positivity rate in school cases has been 1.9%.

The 80 odd cases passed it on to others, those cases were close contacts of the 80 odd bringing about the statement 264 cases in total linked to schools.

It's really simple stuff if ye read it and think about it.

Mary is 9 and tested positive, Mary's Mum and Dad were her close contacts, they were tested also and they were positive. The Mum and Dad's cases are linked to the school Mary was in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

covid20 wrote: »
    Very hard to respect the teachers here who are very vocal about it all being a joke but dutifully go to work regardless. I was never one to disrespect teachers previously.

Did I read that there was some form of strike over the summer?

Some smokescreen from government with all that private home clusters...obviously it entered the home via work/school/community somehow.

Tragic incompetence.

Education is a luxury not a necessity when faced with a situation like this. The economic thinking is completely wrong as the economy will slowly die as the situation drags and drags and drags and this is plain to see for anyone with a shred of cop on.

Living with it is pure fantasy.

I wonder who this could be.

I wonder who this could be.

Your local friendly realist

Oh my.

THE HSE HAS said more than 4,000 children and teachers have been tested for the coronavirus since schools re-opened, with 264 cases in total linked to schools

4,328 children and teachers have been tested and the positivity rate in school cases has been 1.9%.

The 80 odd cases passed it on to others, those cases were close contacts of the 80 odd bringing about the statement 264 cases in total linked to schools.

It's really simple stuff if ye read it and think about it.

Mary is 9 and tested positive, Mary's Mum and Dad were her close contacts, they were tested also and they were positive. The Mum and Dad's cases are linked to the school Mary was in :)

Don't 'oh my' me sunshine.

Read back on the thread before embarrassing yourself further.

There are over 200 schools with at least confirmed case.

Understand?

'Oh my' indeed.

Sure there is only 7 clusters in pubs.

But they are the first to close.

Strange that isn't it?

It's like the actions are not actually based on the recorded "evidence".

But maybe more nuanced.

So you want the schools to close ?
    That seems to be the train of thought in here.

• Advertisement

Only good people like yourself mention school closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

covid20 wrote: »
    Your local friendly realist

Welcome back, although I expect it will be short lived. We missed your unique insight into industrial relations.

The reality of the situation has absolutely nothing to do with what I want or don't want.

You do understand that right?

But I suggest you read at least some of the thread before making assumptions.

Good lad.

Don't 'oh my' me sunshine.........

Good lad.

Lol, teacher talk. Some shower ye are.

There are over 200 schools with at least confirmed case........

A student attending a school contracted Covid from outside the school, think about it sunshine ;)

But I suggest you read at least some of the thread before making assumptions.

I'm making no assumptions.

Welcome back, although I expect it will be short lived. We missed your unique insight into industrial relations.

Time has value, so does health.

I'm boggled by all the suckers here still complaining ad infinitum and not acting when the inevitable is playing out as expected.

Lol, teacher talk. Some shower ye are.
    I'm making no assumptions.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's fact not an assumption.

Disappointing to see teachers carry on like that on a public forum.

Such original ideas he has too.

Let's try get back on topic and ignore it.

That's fact not an assumption.

Disappointing to see teachers carry on like that on a public forum.

You are making a show of yourself lad.

Also it seems you don't actually know what a fact is.

:pac:

• Advertisement

You are making a show of yourself lad.

Also it seems you don't actually know what a fact is.

:pac:

Apologies to upset Biggles, lad :)

Of course it doesn't.

But when you look at the actual number of kids who have tested positive in that time frame the only logical conclusion is the majority of Irish children testing positive are now home schooled. Weird that. :confused:

Also if they have only tested 4000 odd kids since the start of September, the positive rate among-st kids is around 15%. 5 times higher than the rest of the population.

None of the "figures" Reid provided makes any sense.

You can't make sense of any of the figure Reid provides, you are the one making a show of yourself lad :)

Kids tested due to being close contacts of cases outside school aren't inlcuded in the school tests referred to here "4,328 children and teachers have been tested and the positivity rate in school cases has been 1.9%"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement