Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

meeeeh wrote: »
    Again how do we restructure society to enable that?

I don't think we need to 'restructure society'. But I strongly believe we need to restructure our ideas of schools/education.

How do we do this? It will take some reconfiguration from parents and teachers alike.

There needs to be a move towards online/hybrid learning. This is effective if done properly and consistently. *Some* secondary school students will be able to do this by themselves, others wont. This is the way things already are in schools anyway, and we can always put in place supports for those students having difficulty.

Primary school is more challenging, and all students will need parental support. Parents will just have to accept this and adjust their working patterns to facilitate this. Many employers would be open to this I think. Child minders/grandparents etc could also step into the breach if needed.

None of this will be easy, but I do believe it is possible in these extraordinary times. The current status quo cannot continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

frank8211 wrote: »

That article is about them opening and is from August 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

frank8211 wrote: »

Otherwise, the country’s secondary schools are set to switch to online teaching only for a two-week period in medium and high risk areas of the country, though pupils will continue to attend elementary schools.

https://english.radio.cz/minister-state-emergency-needed-czech-covid-parameters-among-worlds-worst-8693600

Also high school age there is 15 -19. It's clearly older age cohort and not all schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭covid20

I don't think we need to 'restructure society'. But I strongly we need to restructure our ideas of schools/education.

How do we do this? It will take some reconfiguration from parents and teachers alike.

There needs to be a move towards online/hybrid learning. This is effective if done properly and consistently. *Some* secondary school students will be able to do this by themselves, others wont. This is the way things already are in schools anyway, and we can always put in place supports for those students having difficulty.

Primary school is more challenging, and all students will need parental support. Parents will just have to accept this and adjust their working patterns to facilitate this. Many employers would be open to this I think. Child minders/grandparents etc could also step into the breach if needed.

None of this will be easy, but I do believe it is possible in these extraordinary times. The current status quo cannot continue.

I fear we will learn little from all this and just shuffle back to everything that is wrong with modern life and miss a big opportunity to improve.

Child minders/grandparents etc could also step into the breach if needed.

You can't send kids to school part of the week to mix with others and then expect grandparents to mind them. Then you are very possibly spreading Covid to at risk cohort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Otherwise, the country’s secondary schools are set to switch to online teaching only for a two-week period in medium and high risk areas of the country, though pupils will continue to attend elementary schools.

https://english.radio.cz/minister-state-emergency-needed-czech-covid-parameters-among-worlds-worst-8693600

Also high school age there is 15 -19. It's clearly older age cohort and not all schools.

Majority of our senior cycle students fall into that age bracket

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Majority of our senior cycle students fall into that age bracket

All students who can be left at home alone fall into that bracket. 12 year olds don't

All students who can be left at home alone fall into that bracket. 12 year olds don't

Our school is 13-19, I'd argue the majority of those students are okay to be at home by themselves, we do have students with additional needs though, and they would need extra help.

covid20 wrote: »
    To me that attitude is a form of giving up though Sean. I genuinely believe we could and should do an awful lot better.

There is no one, who in hindsight would disagree with shutting borders last February and saving us a big headache.

I absolutely agree with you, a lot more work and thought should have been put into the reopening of schools, I love having my work day and routine back, but I, a lot of my colleagues and some of my students are terrified at the moment. Every action this government seem to be taking is completely reactionary dependant on things getting really bad. There's no planning or forward thinking as to how to keep services like schools running effectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Leaving students at home all day is not the answer, nor is expecting parents to have extended periods where they can not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

You can't send kids to school part of the week to mix with others and then expect grandparents to mind them. Then you are very possibly spreading Covid to at risk cohort.

look - have seen this mentioned before (and didn't want to comment) but according to cso, for 2016, 0-12 yo childcare data:

70% of the parents are doing the child minding themselves, 16% are using unpaid relatives or friends, 3% are using paid relatives or friends and ... 23% use some sort of paid facility ... so you are talking about less than 19 % of small children using grandparents (not other relatives or friends) - that is not the majority of children.

jrosen wrote: »
    Leaving students at home all day is not the answer, nor is expecting parents to have extended periods where they can not work.

So what's your solution to make schools a safer environment in the current pandemic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

853 confirmed cases of covid on ireland of island today...

looks like we are in for a bumpy ride the next while ...

429 cases in the republic today, FFS something has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

combat14 wrote: »
    853 confirmed cases of covid on ireland of island today...

looks like we are in for a bumpy ride the next while ...

Number of cases in the north is shocking. If we mirrored that in the south we'd have well over 1200 daily cases.

So what's your solution to make schools a safer environment in the current pandemic?

I can only speak for my schools. Im happy with what they have in place as feel its as safe as it can be where covid is concerned.

I think we need faster and better tracing done for teachers and students so cases can be identified as quickly as possible to reduce the spread.
    I support the need for better remote and distance learning for the periods when schools /classes have to stay home. But I would not be supportive of a long term situation where education is being delivered remotely.

Number of cases in the north is shocking. If we mirrored that in the south we'd have well over 1200 daily cases.

Is the testing capacity better in the North I wonder? Either way their numbers will have a direct impact on our numbers in the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

mvl wrote: »
    look - have seen this mentioned before (and didn't want to comment) but according to cso, for 2016, 0-12 yo childcare data:

70% of the parents are doing the child minding themselves, 16% are using unpaid relatives or friends, 3% are using paid relatives or friends and ... 23% use some sort of paid facility ... so you are talking about less than 19 % of small children using grandparents (not other relatives or friends) - that is not the majority of children.

Thats still a lot of grandparents but I get your point it is not the majority

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I dont think schools need to close, YET!

I have one friend who's child is home for 2 weeks. They are having feck all contact with the school just some work being sent. So here in lies the issue. No real standard of education is being delivered. Now we can play the blame game and we all know where blame lies but ultimately untill this changes and changes drastically we can not have any level of remote /distance learning.

As much as I dont want to make any teacher feel like a babysitter because its not an opinion I hold there is nothing in place for Ireland having thousands of kids suddenly at home. Even if parents had money to burn there isn't enough childminders to go around and certainly not enough that could support home learning.

So even if we saw a blended learning approach there is no denying that there will be kids who will suffer because they do not have the support at home.
    The teachers are in class teaching all those who are present, you can’t teach in class and teach online. However any student I have had who has been out more than a day or two has had an email filling them in on what they are missing so that they can catch up if they so wish. All relevant materials are also made available online...at second level students need to take some responsibility for their own learning if the rest of their class is still in the classroom.

• Advertisement

Thats still a lot of grandparents but I get your point it is not the majority

19% of how many?

Hardly insignificant

solerina wrote: »
    The teachers are in class teaching all those who are present, you can’t teach in class and teach online. However any student I have had who has been out more than a day or two has had an email filling them in on what they are missing so that they can catch up if they so wish. All relevant materials are also made available online...at second level students need to take some responsibility for their own learning if the rest of their class is still in the classroom.

I was referring to a primary class, the whole class is out so the teacher is not in school teaching the class and still the contact is minimal with no support.

I agree at second level students have to take some responsibility, I think its also probably easier to adapt for second level. Particularly if the school already uses iPads etc. But I still feel alot of students would still need someone around for support and encouragement. I know mine would

I can only speak for my schools. Im happy with what they have in place as feel its as safe as it can be where covid is concerned.

I think we need faster and better tracing done for teachers and students so cases can be identified as quickly as possible to reduce the spread.
    I support the need for better remote and distance learning for the periods when schools /classes have to stay home. But I would not be supportive of a long term situation where education is being delivered remotely.

I can only speak from my place of work, they have tried their best but with 800 young adults it was never going to work. 24-28 in small classes at single desks around 0.6m away from each other. The teachers are more protected to be fair, they have a desk about 1.5m away from students with perspex around it. SNAs have been forgotten about, we are still expected to float around the class and do our jobs as normal. Windows and doors are closed.

Outside of classes, most students go outside in large groups with no masks and sharing food etc. In between classes kids are on top of each other literally. Practical subjects and computer subjects are as normal with all the equipment shared, music class is still happening (in what capacity i don't know). Lockers are also still being used.

If covid is as contagious as is said, none of this is good enough, nor would it be accepted anywhere else but in schools at the moment.

I am personally biased as my wife is awaiting testing for an immune condition which would leave her wide open and extremely vulnerable if i where to bring covid home, and i can't reduce my risk one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

covid20 wrote: »
    19% of how many?

Hardly insignificant

No which is why I said its a lot of grandparents

mvl wrote: »

I bet you more kids will die from farming incidents this year than from Covid. However for over 70ies that stat is significantly different. Putting kids into childcare facilities because they can't be in school just increases social contacts. So all you are doing is solving a fairly insignificant risk (in comparison to others) by increasing social contacts and mixing kids with an age group that's at significant risk.

I'm not risk averse but I would be very much against intentionally putting at risk vulnerable people. It makes absolutely no sense.

I bet you more kids will die from farming incidents this year than from Covid. However for over 70ies that stat is significantly different. Putting kids into childcare facilities because they can't be in school just increases social contacts. So all you are doing is solving a fairly insignificant risk (in comparison to others) by increasing social contacts and mixing kids with an age group that's at significant risk.

I'm not risk averse but I would be very much against intentionally putting at risk vulnerable people.

And what about those with vulnerable people at home? Or all the students in high risk but not quite medmark high risk?

I'm not risk averse but I would be very much against intentionally putting at risk vulnerable people.

The only way that does not involve illogical loopholes that we as a country are terrible for is to close everything and pay people to stay at home. Short, swift, hard and focused attack on the virus before it gets more of hand.

Expensive short term, well worth it long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

So the penny seems to be finally dropping for Dr. Glynn that the lockdown in Dublin is having no effect in fact cases still rising.

Now no pubs or restaurants open in Dublin so it must be due to all parties the hundreds of young children that have tested positive in Sept are having.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I'm not risk averse but I would be very much against intentionally putting at risk vulnerable people. It makes absolutely no sense.

I wouldn't assume parents are no risk neither - were there any options provided to parents at risk other than ... sending their kids to school or apply to home schooling ? (which seems to me has higher financial cost than after school costs when done right = by hiring someone trained to do it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

Irish Indo headline says it all..

Its rising everywhere... this is a message for all age groups' - health chiefs warn as 429 new cases and one further death confirmed

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/its-rising-everywhere-this-is-a-message-for-all-age-groups-health-chiefs-warn-as-429-new-cases-and-one-further-death-confirmed-39576765.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement