Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

No, no, not in schools at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

combat14 wrote: »
    Irish Indo headline says it all..

Its rising everywhere... this is a message for all age groups' - health chiefs warn as 429 new cases and one further death confirmed

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/its-rising-everywhere-this-is-a-message-for-all-age-groups-health-chiefs-warn-as-429-new-cases-and-one-further-death-confirmed-39576765.html

Somehow its rising everywhere even with 3 counties in level 3 lockdown :rolleyes: must be pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Somehow its rising everywhere even with 3 counties in level 3 lockdown :rolleyes: must be pubs

Oh definitely the pubs + restaurants especially for under 18s they love hanging out there.

Strange that all the other lockdowns seemed to stabilise the figures but the one in Dublin in SEPTEMBER seems to be having no effect on figures. Hmm wonder whats different about that month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

The calculated grades farce is to blame 😂😋

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

appledrop wrote: »
    Oh definitely the pubs + restaurants especially for under 18s they love hanging out there.

Strange that all the other lockdowns seemed to stabilise the figures but the one in Dublin in SEPTEMBER seems to be having no effect on figures. Hmm wonder whats different about that month.

Msybe the fact numbers were increasing anyway and they seem to be going only one way everywhere. Maybe the fact that numbers are increasing in the city with public transport and higher population density. Kildare lockdown had to be extended too but yes schools and everyone else in cities will be affected more. We know that from the beginning, all international research is pointing at that. So yes schools will contribute to the spread.

We are in Midlands and I was just talking to a friend who is a teacher. (Yes I like a lot of teachers, I don't like some but that is the same for any profession.) Anyway they are quite happy with the way things are going, their level of staff is fine, school has plenty of inside and outside space. I have a feeling those living in cities, especially in higher density areas will have very different experience to those of us living in more rural areas.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    Msybe the fact numbers were increasing anyway and they seem to be going only one way everywhere. Maybe the fact that numbers are increasing in the city with public transport and higher population density. Kildare lockdown had to be extended too but yes schools and everyone else in cities will be affected more. We know that from the beginning, all international research is pointing at that. So yes schools will contribute to the spread.

We are in Midlands and I was just talking to a friend who is a teacher. (Yes I like a lot of teachers, I don't like some but that is the same for any profession.) Anyway they are quite happy with the way things are going, their level of staff is fine, school has plenty of inside and outside space. I have a feeling those living in cities, especially in higher density areas will have very different experience to those of us living in more rural areas.

Must be a small school, im in a very rural large post primary and its a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Not rising in louth for example, their cases have decreased hugely in the last week.

14 cases across 8 counties today.

But yeah schools are the problem.

It's rising everywhere!!!!

Fake news lads, will have to try harder.

Must be a small school, im in a very rural large post primary and its a disaster.

It's primary, not that small, not very rural and in the more challenging part of town. I'm not saying everywhere is the same but I don't think many people have any desire for schools to close or move to reduced hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Not rising in louth for example, their cases have decreased hugely in the last week.

14 cases across 8 counties today.

But yeah schools are the only problem.

It's rising everywhere!!!!

Fake news lads, will have to try harder.

Ah JJ welcome back, your insights have really been missed. Marko is surely due to pop in next.
    Speaking of fake news, can you point out where posters have said that schools are the only problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Ah JJ welcome back, your insights have really been missed. Marko is surely due to pop in next.
    Speaking of fake news, can you point out where posters have said that schools are the only problem?

How about you respond to the huge drop in cases in Louth lately and the 14 cases in 8 counties today first?

When it was claimed cases are rising "everywhere" and you all gave yourselves a pat on the back and multiple likes for that out and out lie.

I await.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    It's primary, not that small, not very rural and in the more challenging part of town. I'm not saying everywhere is the same but I don't think many people have any desire for schools to close or move to reduced hours.

No one wants schools to close but near everyone ive talked to agrees that the government should have planned for some form of blended approach to reduce the risk to all involved in schools, wider community included. Problem is the government sat on their arses and did nothing, so now the public believe the only way schools can work at the moment is full steam ahead and masks and thats all we can do, which is complete bull**** when compared to what other countries are doing.

How about you respond to the huge drop in cases in Louth lately and the 14 cases in 8 counties today first?

When it was claimed cases are rising "everywhere" and you all gave yourselves a pat on the back and multiple likes for that out and out lie.

I await.

Cases are rising daily/weekly at a national level, we are a small country, i apologize if county louth is doing okay and i didn't research covid on a county by county basis.

I await.

As you have an issue with the use of the word "everywhere" I'd advise you take it up with the ACMO seeing as he is the one who used it.

Today was the first day that he actually seemed flustered/edgy with regards to numbers and how things are planning out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

covid20 wrote: »
    The only way that does not involve illogical loopholes that we as a country are terrible for is to close everything and pay people to stay at home. Short, swift, hard and focused attack on the virus before it gets more of hand.

Expensive short term, well worth it long term.

did that didn't work

did that didn't work

Actually it worked quite well, but then every thing opened up too quickly imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

It didnt work, because as soon as society opened up we started to see an increase in cases. We have no reason to think it would be any different if we shut the whole country down again.
    Businesses are already on their knees, many have not survived. If we shut again we will loose more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

jrosen wrote: »
    It didnt work, because as soon as society opened up we started to see an increase in cases. We have no reason to think it would be any different if we shut the whole country down again.
    Businesses are already on their knees, many have not survived. If we shut again we will loose more.

Define "work." Our hospitals weren't beyond capacity and were able to cope. We're not trying to eliminate it. We need to prevent an overrun of the HSE.

We are doing ok economically on the whole.

Define "work." Our hospitals weren't beyond capacity and were able to cope. We're not trying to eliminate it. We need to prevent an overrun of the HSE.

I agree that we need to keep hospitals functioning.

On the economy part I would be very worried. Small hospitality businesses are hit very hard, especially those relying on tourism and office workers. While they don't contribute as much as multinationals to GDP they employ an awful lot of people who would otherwise find it hard to find employment. Add to that other small businesses relying on state subsidies to keep them going. With messy Brexit looming we could suddenly become less attractive for multinationals and then you have perfect storm. I know we can borrow cheap at the moment but we could be hit very hard at the beginning of 2021.

Lockdown in Ireland was already harsher and lasted other than in many other countries. I really hope they will sort out testing because otherwise we could pay very expensive price later this/next year.

Wonder will the return of Tony next week have any if much thinking with regards to schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Wonder will the return of Tony next week have any if much thinking with regards to schools?

Not at all, schools need to stay open. Our kids schools are doing great, 2 cases between the school.

Once the adults behave the schools will be mainly ok

• Advertisement

Not at all, schools need to stay open. Our kids schools are doing great, 2 cases between the school.

Once the adults behave the schools will be mainly ok

Did I mention school closures?

Why some posters constantly zone in on this is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Did I mention school closures?

Why some posters constantly zone in on this is beyond me.

Keep your cool. Never said you did.

I meant that his approach wouldn't change to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

jrosen wrote: »

Depends on the kind of shut down. If it's the half-arsed, "everything is closed but we can't stop people from mingling and doing whatever" - you're absolutely right that's useless and won't work.

If however it is China style, 2-3 week total shutdown in hazmat suit to kill the virus - which worked and China is now free to continue life, while we are not - that, if done very correctly, should restore us back to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

I am having constant arguements with my wife over kids going to school. its causing stress in our relationship.

according to policy children must go to school if they themselves are not high risk but if there is a parent or grandparent high risk at home they have to go to school.

I had cancer and am an asthmatic so am considered in the high risk category. but I am also the logical one at home. My wife wants to keep our children at home but I want them to go to school as i feel their education is far more impportant than the risk. especially for one of my daughters who started 1st Year.

we spoke to the school and they said that kids must go to school as it is govermnent policy.

I am just wondering (a) what are the consequences if we dont send our kids to school or (b) is there anyone we can talk to about what options we have

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Sure, as long as the meaning of 'ok' is stretched to include for going 10's of billions of euros into debt.

Sure, as long as the meaning of 'ok' is stretched to include for going 10's of billions of euros into debt.

We already were billions of debt in 2019 before the coronavirus hit.

In 2018, the national debt of Ireland was around 226.92 billion. For comparison, the Greek debt amounted to approximately 303 billion euros that same year.

The Irish Republic has repaid on schedule more than a third of the £3.2 billion (€3.7 billion) bilateral loan it received specifically from the UK under its international bailout at the start of the decade, a UK government report has confirmed. (as of Oct 2019).

"In terms of GDP per capita, Ireland is ranked as one of the wealthiest countries in the OECD and the EU-27, at 4th in the OECD-28 rankings. In terms of GNP per capita, a better measure of national income, Ireland ranks below the OECD average, despite significant growth in recent years, at 10th in the OECD-28 rankings."
    Wikepedia

Your point?

Washout wrote: »
    I am having constant arguements with my wife over kids going to school. its causing stress in our relationship.

according to policy children must go to school if they themselves are not high risk but if there is a parent or grandparent high risk at home they have to go to school.

I had cancer and am an asthmatic so am considered in the high risk category. but I am also the logical one at home. My wife wants to keep our children at home but I want them to go to school as i feel their education is far more impportant than the risk. especially for one of my daughters who started 1st Year.

we spoke to the school and they said that kids must go to school as it is govermnent policy.

I am just wondering (a) what are the consequences if we dont send our kids to school or (b) is there anyone we can talk to about what options we have

EH... what? The Irish Constitution states that parents have primary responsibility for educating their children. It guarantees the parents' right and duty to provide for their children's education. ... According to the Act there is no absolute legal obligation on children to attend school or on their parents to send them to school.

You can homeschool if you want- but I'll say it's a pity and a disgrace that the Irish government haven't provided a proper plan b in hybrid remote learning for families who need better options.

You can choose to educate your children at home if you want. You would need to notify Tusla and their school. You will have an interview from Tusla to answer to how you plan to educate them, but it seems they are very bogged down with the times that are in it so once you notify them and the school you are legally covered and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Is the testing capacity better in the North I wonder? Either way their numbers will have a direct impact on our numbers in the south.

Testing capacity in the North is worse than here - they don't test close contacts unless they get symptoms, for example.

(a friend in the North got it a few weeks ago, none of his household was tested and I was really surprised)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Washout wrote: »

That's incredibly stressful, a lot of your questions are answered at the link below. I'm very worried for my family too, more for their health as they're all asthmatics, seriously considering homeschooling...

https://www.tusla.ie/tess/faqs/#Top

• Advertisement

We already were billions of debt in 2019 before the coronavirus hit.

In 2018, the national debt of Ireland was around 226.92 billion. For comparison, the Greek debt amounted to approximately 303 billion euros that same year.

The Irish Republic has repaid on schedule more than a third of the £3.2 billion (€3.7 billion) bilateral loan it received specifically from the UK under its international bailout at the start of the decade, a UK government report has confirmed. (as of Oct 2019).

"In terms of GDP per capita, Ireland is ranked as one of the wealthiest countries in the OECD and the EU-27, at 4th in the OECD-28 rankings. In terms of GNP per capita, a better measure of national income, Ireland ranks below the OECD average, despite significant growth in recent years, at 10th in the OECD-28 rankings."
    Wikepedia

Your point?
    National debt is measured in % of gdp and normally any debts gets repaid by borrowing more (when interest rates are not prohibitive). Absolute numbers don't matter but in Ireland percentage of gdp isn't great indicator either. In 2016 our economy grew magic 26% mostly due to multinationals funneling profits through Ireland. Something Krugman named Leprechaun Economics.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leprechaun_economics

Edit: gdp growth was 26% not 34% as stated before

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement