Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

That document was a bloody joke.

Nearly as condescending as the comment "dont bring home cleaning supplies" in their most recent document. Talk about not knowing your audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Murple wrote: »
    What has also stood out is that the 3 who tested positive are siblings in different rooms. The two workers who tested positive were in different rooms and had had no contact.

Could the kids have given it to the workers? Would explain why workers got it with no contact. It’s probably hard to know who gets it first due to the incubation period and asymptomatic cases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Yes it is crazy.

And to be totally honest it’s scary for some of the older teachers who don’t even own a computer. Some of my colleagues feel strongly about this and are scared of the technology and that students will make fools of them in an online environment where the teacher has less control.

You can call these guys lazy teachers but it is a real issue. It’s an even bigger issue if the school principal (as in my case) is in this category and is scared sh1t1ess of technology and anything online.

What is the Digital Team in your school doing? Surely some of these issues would have been addressed by the Digital Learning Framework for schools over the last few years. We certainly had up-skilling and older teachers were supported in getting used to the new systems almost individually.

Wow - we got one once every 2-weeks from our kid's teacher.

My sister who has a kid in the year ahead of my kid used to get the exact same email.

There will literally be uproar among parents if the teachers (particularly the primary school teachers from what I can see) try to skive off work for another few months.

As a primary teacher I worked my ass off so it may be some but not all, so I would not say particularly primary teachers. I am also doing courses over the summer and preparing work and admin for new term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I mean there is some chance of reprimanding teachers, it's the home lives and lack of interest from parents I think will have the most effect. We had some fab kids go home and do nothing, not a fault of theirs, they had responsibilities and no resources, they would have done homework and had most of their meals in school before.

If they do nothing the parents/guardians will absolutely not be reprimanded in any way

I'm not sure how that works. If two parents are working, should one of them quit their job to homeschool? That could lead to families losing their homes etc.

My neighbors, wife and husband, both working from home but both have accommodating employers so have been able to make some time for their children. If they are unable to cover the curriculum with their children due to work commitments should they be reprimanded, should one be forced into unemployment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Wow - we got one once every 2-weeks from our kid's teacher.

My sister who has a kid in the year ahead of my kid used to get the exact same email.

There will literally be uproar among parents if the teachers (particularly the primary school teachers from what I can see) try to skive off work for another few months.

Yawn...... and that is the end of the grownups conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

khalessi wrote: »
    As a primary teacher I worked my ass off so it may be some but not all, so I would not say particularly primary teachers. I am also doing courses over the summer and preparing work and admin for new term.

With respect, it’s more than “some” that did the one email a week thing. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that this happened with many many primary schools.

You obviously did great work but from my experience you are in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

With respect, it’s more than “some” that did the one email a week thing. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that this happened with many many primary schools.

And yet I know of schools that parents gave out stink about due to them expecting too much and giving too much work. Schools didn't know what to do.

Think most of us expected some form of framework from the department of what should be required if and when we are back online. That way children, parents and teachers know what is expected. Free for all is what we will have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

The honest answer is not in my school. Teachers are already saying they won’t be doing anything online for a variety of reasons. Some have had advice from the Union that they don’t have to do anything online (pinch of salt needed probably) and we have definitely had no training. We also have no laptops from the school!!!

Get ready for a huge mess if schools close. My sister has already said she won’t accept another once a week homework email from her child’s primary school this time.

As we say with kids, encourage the positives and support the negatives. Don't talk of sanctioning, assist in upskilling if you want. But honestly, based on your history, just control your little bubble and focus on what you can control. Your colleagues and environment clearly don't sit well with you so look after your students alone and stay positive. Leave "the older teachers" alone. They were there before you and will be there when you go somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I think all teachers have responsibility to do their best at all times. This includes all the teachers that i personally know about who have done almost nothing since 12 March.

My big fear is that schools will close again before Christmas and many teachers will not engage in online classes yet again. I’ve heard a million reasons for this from poor broadband in their houses, to no training, to being reluctant to show their faces online. I’ve already heard teacher colleagues say they will not do anything online if another shutdown happens in the coming months. And there will be no sanction what so ever for teachers who simply refuse to do blended or online.

What will be the sanction if teachers simply don’t do anything online? Some of my colleagues don’t have broadband. Some don’t have computers. We have had no training in online/blended. Many of the children can’t go online. There are privacy issues. Etc etc etc.

Do you really see any teacher getting in trouble if they don’t/can’t go online?

This sounds like wishful thinking on your part, given you admit yourself you are one of the teachers who didn't bother supporting their students. You made excuses. You failed to do your job. Are you looking for reassurance you will be allowed to continue to shirk your responsibility without facing sanction?

• Advertisement

What is the Digital Team in your school doing? Surely some of these issues would have been addressed by the Digital Learning Framework for schools over the last few years. We certainly had up-skilling and older teachers were supported in getting used to the new systems almost individually.

I’ve heard one colleague say there will be no sanction for not going online .... but that they could be in real trouble if they go online and it goes tits up (their phrase).

I’ve also heard it said it’ll be a lot of extra work going online with no extra pay (don’t shoot the messenger!!).

With respect, you yourself said you downed tools in March so I find it sad knowing you did nothing for your students and yet s are here preaching about what teachers should do when you did not do it yourself. If anyone disagrees with you and points this out you scream bullying.

In my experience I did no more than my colleagues we all worked our asses off and also our sister schools did the same. So who is to say your experience or mine is right we are just opinions on the internet.

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how that works. If two parents are working, should one of them quit their job to homeschool? That could lead to families losing their homes etc.

My neighbors, wife and husband, both working from home but both have accommodating employers so have been able to make some time for their children. If they are unable to cover the curriculum with their children due to work commitments should they be reprimanded, should one be forced into unemployment?

That's where I would also hope that some sense would prevail and the students could be allowed to come to school and do their work there. We have very few families with both parents working but actually a lot of these would have very high achieving kids. There really is no difference me sitting in our library or me sitting in my apt doing my work, the kids would be very far apart. Not every family would need this but some families will and I would like to see some provision for this

I didn't phrase the above well to be fair, the parents I'm talking about are not both at work but would have issues that mean they will force childcare, often of very small babies, onto the teenagers and leave them no time to do work. Not the fault of the kid at all, I would just rather that kid was in the school for a few hours a day for remote learning where we could keep and eye and get them a bit of lunch etc

This sounds like wishful thinking on your part, given you admit yourself you are one of the teachers who didn't bother supporting their students. You made excuses. You failed to do your job. Are you looking for reassurance you will be allowed to continue to shirk your responsibility without facing sanction?

What sanction???

What do you think will happen to teachers who don’t go online???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

What sanction???

So you are assuming you can continue to fail your students without sanction then? Your posts read like somebody looking to gather excuses to once again refuse to do their job, just as you refused to do from March onwards. Your sister must be disgusted by your attitude since she was unhappy with her child's teacher who did more than you.

I’ve heard one colleague say there will be no sanction for not going online .... but that they could be in real trouble if they go online and it goes tits up (their phrase).

I’ve also heard it said it’ll be a lot of extra work going online with no extra pay (don’t shoot the messenger!!).

That's not an answer. The government has given money to your school for the last few years to facilitate this. As a staff a Team should have been nominated to decide how this money is spent. It's all clearly outlined in the Framework document. Extra money was available last year if you engaged. The Team then identified areas of weakness and sought to fix them. We got Office 365 into the school well before any of this happened as a result of the Framework. There was also free training available.

This may be different at primary in the details but I was at a mixed PP and P in service and it seemed mostly the same, unfortunately for primary as usual funding wasn't as good!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I mean there is some chance of reprimanding teachers, it's the home lives and lack of interest from parents I think will have the most effect. We had some fab kids go home and do nothing, not a fault of theirs, they had responsibilities and no resources, they would have done homework and had most of their meals in school before.

If they do nothing the parents/guardians will absolutely not be reprimanded in any way

So you have Two parents working , maybe one at home working from home or indeed both working from home . How does anyone expect them to have time to home school on or more children ? Do you honestly think they should be reprimanded for not having time during the day to give ?
    My own daughter and husband both worked from home during lockdown both at the kitchen table and one young baby to mind . By June I had to advise them to forget trying to do home schooling with a 6 year old as they were so stressed and exhausted trying to juggle it all
    Should they be reprimanded for doing less than another household who might have one child and a parents at home ?
    There are all sorts of reasons why parents won’t be able to home school or help the children to do online work .

What sanction???

If you have this attitude of looking for excuses for something that hasn't even happened yet, I can assure you that your management will absolutely know as it comes across VERY obvious through your written word here.

So you are assuming you can continue to fail your students without sanction then? Your posts read like somebody looking to gather excuses to once again refuse to do their job, just as you refused to do from March onwards. Your sister must be disgusted by your attitude since she was unhappy with her child's teacher who did more than you.

In fairness, it is not possible to judge anyone here from their posts on boards. Also, please keep the personal comments about my family and I out of the thread ... it comes across as petty and does nothing to add to the discussion.

I'm asking a simple question. Teachers seem unable or unwilling to answer. It's an Honest question with no hidden agenda.

What sanction will there be if a teacher refuses to go online or engage in blended learning?

Your sister must be disgusted by your attitude since she was unhappy with her child's teacher who did more than you.

This is the bit that doesn't make much sense to me. On the one hand admitting they didn't do much if anything since the school buildings were shut but on the other hand telling us about their sister won't accept the one email a week approach anymore. Talk about double standards.

• Advertisement

I'm asking a simple question. Teachers seem unable or unwilling to answer. Its an Honest question with no hidden agenda.

What sanction will there be if a teacher refuses to go online or engage in blended learning?

Asking for a friend, eh?

That's where I would also hope that some sense would prevail and the students could be allowed to come to school and do their work there. We have very few families with both parents working but actually a lot of these would have very high achieving kids. There really is no difference me sitting in our library or me sitting in my apt doing my work, the kids would be very far apart. Not every family would need this but some families will and I would like to see some provision for this

I didn't phrase the above well to be fair, the parents I'm talking about are not both at work but would have issues that mean they will force childcare, often of very small babies, onto the teenagers and leave them no time to do work. Not the fault of the kid at all, I would just rather that kid was in the school for a few hours a day for remote learning where we could keep and eye and get them a bit of lunch etc
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    So you have Two parents working , maybe one at home working from home or indeed both working from home . How does anyone expect them to have time to home school on or more children ? Do you honestly think they should be reprimanded for not having time during the day to give ?
    My own daughter and husband both worked from home during lockdown both at the kitchen table and one young baby to mind . By June I had to advise them to forget trying to do home schooling with a 6 year old as they were so stressed and exhausted trying to juggle it all
    Should they be reprimanded for doing less than another household who might have one child and a parents at home ?
    There are all sorts of reasons why parents won’t be able to home school or help the children to do online work .

I clarified what I meant above, I phrased it badly. Certainly not what I meant. If both parents are working then some provision by the school could be made in a lot of cases with some planning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

"More than 97,000 children tested positive for coronavirus in the last two weeks of July, according to a new medical report. That’s a 40% increase in child cases across the states and cities that were studied.

One recent study suggests older children can transmit the virus just as much as adults. Another study said children younger than 5 carry a higher viral load than adults, raising even more questions about their role in transmission.

At least 86 children have died since May, according to the new report. Last week, a 7-year-old boy with no pre-existing conditions became the youngest coronavirus victim in Georgia."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/10/health/us-coronavirus-monday/index.html?utm_term=1597054766901e295fc38903d&utm_source=Five+Things+for+Monday%2C+August+10%2C+2020&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=234228_1597054766906&bt_ee=pGJ1OAy93Fcj3isdzuXNk6EUc7t6UXmTIjWvBLVP1VVjdeIqoTK1ZMrw%2BhtJs9y3&bt_ts=1597054766906

As you've already been advised to, I would concentrate on your own job and atop worrying about others. Be a grown up about it and do what you are paid to do and do it to the best of your ability. You can't play the ' we have no training' card anymore, no one can. All teachers had the summer to research, watch videos and bring themselves in up to speed in some form or other. The amount of resources available is incredible.
    You can only control yourself, the actions or lack thereof of others we can't just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I clarified what I meant above, I phrased it badly. Certainly not what I meant. If both parents are working then some provision by the school could be made in a lot of cases with some planning.

Fair enough I was typing as you posted the above .
    My daughter and husband genuinely did their best all through April and May and it took its toll on them all . But they managed to do a lot of reading and Julia Donaldson read along CD’s and books were a great help !

Blondini wrote: »
    Asking for a friend, eh?

No, I'm asking for myself. So that I can challenge this bullsh1t when its raised at our next staff meeting.

Do you have an answer?

It's frankly depressing that I'm trying to challenge the teachers in my place who are refusing to go online and i"m getting personally attacked by other teachers both in real life and on boards. I have made mistakes (and, yes, I am a bit ashamed) but I've had the last few months to think about this and I'm now trying to do my best. I'm still not sure what I as a new, young teacher can do against a principle and very senior colleagues who think differently. The flack I'm taking on here is not helping.

No, I'm asking for myself. So that I can challenge this bullsh1t when its raised at our next staff meeting.

Do you have an answer?

It's frankly depressing that I'm trying to challenge the teachers in my place who are refusing to go online and i"m getting personally attacked by other teachers both in real life and on boards. I have made mistakes (and, yes, I am a bit ashamed) but I've had the last few months to think about this and I'm now trying to do my best. I'm still not sure what I as a new, young teacher can do against a principle and very senior colleagues who think differently. The flack I'm taking on here is not helping.

You challenge yourself to do your best. Be the leader and some will follow. Some old dogs just can't be taught new tricks no matter what treats are offered.

And yet I know of schools that parents gave out stink about due to them expecting too much and giving too much work. Schools didn't know what to do.

You've heard of parents saying that one email a week from schools was too much?

I'm calling fibbedy fibs on that.

Do you have an answer?

Okay then. If they are in an ETB and they REFUSE point blank to take part they will be sacked.

ETB contracts state that their school/centre/base can be changed.

• Advertisement

You've heard of parents saying that one email a week from schools was too much?

I'm calling fibbedy fibs on that.

Did I mention one email a week? Point being that schools were stabbing in the dark.

Personally I feel that you yourself are looking for schools that are as toxic as yours and looking for some form of solice in them for your own lack of professionalism in your duty of care to those students entrusted to your care.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement