Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

You challenge yourself to do your best. Be the leader and some will follow. Some old dogs just can't be taught new tricks no matter what treats are offered.

So, no answer to my question then?

The answer (all teachers know this) is that absolutely nothing will happen if teachers refuse to go online. My colleagues have had advice on this from the union. Nothing, nada, zilch!!

In fact, one has claimed that they could get in more trouble if they go online and something goes wrong. Apparently the Union has advised that!!

So, many simply wont go online and back to the status quo between 12 March and Summer hols for a lot of teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

The answer (all teachers know this) is that absolutely nothing will happen if teachers refuse to go online. My colleagues have had advice on this from the union. Nothing, nada, zilch!!

In fact, one has claimed that they could get in more trouble if they go online and something goes wrong. Apparently the Union has advised that!!

So, many simply wont go online and back to the status quo between 12 March and Summer hols for a lot of teachers.

Bullshiite.

I'll repeat myself : If they are in an ETB and they REFUSE point blank to take part they will be sacked.

ETB contracts state that their school/centre/base can be changed.

Blondini wrote: »
    Okay then. If they are in an ETB and they REFUSE point blank to take part they will be sacked.

ETB contracts state that their school/centre/base can be changed.

It's not as simple as that. They are not refusing to teach, they are refusing to teach online as they do not have the skills or resources. These are very different things.

How many teachers will be sacked for not teaching online between March and Summer hols?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Answer to what? I don't have to worry about any sanctions and neither does anyone in my school. If you are that bothered ring the department tomorrow or perhaps email Norma with your query directly. You really are fixated on this aren't you. Do you job and forget about your colleagues. How you want to be in that school is beyond me anyway. I couldn't or wouldn't want to be stuck in a work environment where it is clear, even to a blind person that you detest both your colleagues and management. Cannot be good for you as a person, for your well-being or your mental health. A job isn't worth it.

It's not as simple as that. They are not refusing to teach, they are refusing to teach online as they do not have the skills or resources. These are very different things.

How many teachers will be sacked for not teaching online between March and Summer hols?

Look, I answered your question. You don't like the answer. I don't care.

• Advertisement

Answer to what? I don't have to worry about any sanctions and neither does anyone in my school. If you are that bothered ring the department tomorrow or perhaps email Norma with your query directly. You really are fixated on this aren't you. Do you job and forget about your colleagues. How you want to be in that school is beyond me anyway. I couldn't or wouldn't want to be stuck in a work environment where it is clear, even to a blind person that you detest both your colleagues and management. Cannot be good for you as a person, for your well-being or your mental health. A job isn't worth it.

Please lay off the personal comment on me and my school. It's just coming across as nasty at this stage.

/edit/ yet again, the attitude of teachers on this thread is a sight to behold.

Look, I answered your question. You don't like the answer. I don't care.

Is that how you talk to the children in your school?

Or just colleagues who you disagree with?

Is that how you talk to the children in your school?

Or just colleagues who you disagree with?

Yes.

Please lay off the personal comment on me and my school. It's just coming across as nasty at this stage.

/edit/ yet again, the attitude of teachers on this thread is a sight to behold.

It's the truth though as outlined by your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Buddhas belly

Stateofyou wrote: »
    "More than 97,000 children tested positive for coronavirus in the last two weeks of July, according to a new medical report. That’s a 40% increase in child cases across the states and cities that were studied.

One recent study suggests older children can transmit the virus just as much as adults. Another study said children younger than 5 carry a higher viral load than adults, raising even more questions about their role in transmission.

At least 86 children have died since May, according to the new report. Last week, a 7-year-old boy with no pre-existing conditions became the youngest coronavirus victim in Georgia."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/10/health/us-coronavirus-monday/index.html?utm_term=1597054766901e295fc38903d&utm_source=Five+Things+for+Monday%2C+August+10%2C+2020&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=234228_1597054766906&bt_ee=pGJ1OAy93Fcj3isdzuXNk6EUc7t6UXmTIjWvBLVP1VVjdeIqoTK1ZMrw%2BhtJs9y3&bt_ts=1597054766906
    I think, regarding the 7 year old boy in Georgia, he had a seizure and fell in the shower. It is not uncommon for young children to have febrile convulsions from running a high temperature. In the majority of cases they do not cause further complications. It is unclear what the cause of death was in this case, but because he tested for covid, it is listed as a covid death.

https://www.wtoc.com/2020/08/06/year-old-chatham-county-boy-dies-covid-according-dph/

• Advertisement

It's the truth though as outlined by your posts.

It comes across as nasty and petty and it doesn’t help when I’m genuinely asking a question and looking for advice.

It comes across as nasty and petty and it doesn’t help when I’m genuinely asking a question and looking for advice.

No one is able to.answer the question on here. That is really obvious.

I'll ask a genuine question. Have you up skilled over the summer months?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I think all teachers have responsibility to do their best at all times. This includes all the teachers that i personally know about who have done almost nothing since 12 March.

My big fear is that schools will close again before Christmas and many teachers will not engage in online classes yet again. I’ve heard a million reasons for this from poor broadband in their houses, to no training, to being reluctant to show their faces online. I’ve already heard teacher colleagues say they will not do anything online if another shutdown happens in the coming months. And there will be no sanction what so ever for teachers who simply refuse to do blended or online.

No offence, but it sounds like you work in a desperate school. There has to be a reason so many poor teachers work there. What is your principal doing about all of these people?

This craap has gotten so bad that I am actually yearning for the halcyon days of your man with the marquees who kept copying and pasting from the roadmap like rainman..

I am actually yearning for the halcyon days of your man with the marquees who kept copying and pasting from the roadmap like rainman..

Must be off sourcing more as he sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Read my comment above. Join your Digital Team, if you don't have one set one up. The Framework documents are all available online and the budget for this year was issued early. Then work on coming up with a plan. My recommendations would be to start by deciding on a platform. For PP I'd recommend Microsoft Teams, the apps are clean and it's free for educational settings.

With regards to your colleagues, sounds like they should all be ashamed of themselves. I feel sorry for the kids. Fair play for realising your mistake in not ignoring them but I do think that maybe a more positive environment would be good for you if your not tied to the school. I know locations, mortgages and stuff can make moving hard but it was the best thing I even did when I was in a negative place. There are lots of people on here who will give advice if you are thinking of upskilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Warbeastrior

What are Special Needs Assistants and Classroom aids meant to do?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Most schools don’t have a classroom assistant. The management team spent 6 hours in school today, trying to sort the support for children with SEN. Nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

Meant to do about what?
    No such thing as a classroom aid in this country unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Is anyone thinking of home schooling their kids? I’m giving it serious thought. It’d mean giving up my job but I’m very worried about the ability to contain covid19 and my daughter would be in a high risk group. None of us know if the measures in schools will be enough, time will tell, but I don’t know if it’s a risk that’s just too big for us.

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »
    Is anyone thinking of home schooling their kids? I’m giving it serious thought. It’d mean giving up my job but I’m very worried about the ability to contain covid19 and my daughter would be in a high risk group. None of us know if the measures in schools will be enough, time will tell, but I don’t know if it’s a risk that’s just too big for us.

Can I ask what age your kid is?

Might be worth contacting the school to see what can be arranged. I'd honestly say it depends on the school. The variance across the ones I know is shocking.

There are some schools essentially building perspex shells beside windows for at risk students, some pretending it's not a terrifying prospect for parents in your situation. Any feeling on how good the school would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I dont know how it will go but here is a link if you consider it. Hope all goes well for you stay safe

https://www.henireland.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Measures in schools definitely won't be enough. Don't be relying on them to protect your daughter. Schools have be left at sea over this whole thing. Dept can say "well we provided money ... we provided guidelines".... and absolve themselves from any real responsibility.
    It's a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

I am. I don't have kids in the "very high risk" group, but over autumn / winter their asthma and recurring chest infections often land them in hospital.

I know serious cases among children are rare, but on a practical level, my kids will be displaying Covid-like symptoms from October to March pretty much non stop.. Either they'll have a huge rate of absenteeism or I'll have to get my kids tested every 2 weeks so assuming their results are negative, they would be allowed to attend school again. That's why I'm leaning towards homeschooling - plus I'm at home full time so it wouldn't be too disruptive for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Homeschooling would be a worst case scenario for us. Im not ruling it out but honestly it would take alot for me to do it.

Locally ive heard of families considering it because they dont believe schools will stay open on any sort of consistent basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

jrosen wrote: »
    Homeschooling would be a worst case scenario for us. Im not ruling it out but honestly it would take alot for me to do it.

Locally ive heard of families considering it because they dont believe schools will stay open on any sort of consistent basis.

I would consider it , I just don't know how good I'd be at it to be honest. And like you say iif they do close for periods I think it would be good to start looking into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Will parents be paid to home school their kids?

Seems schools won't be doing it and taxes are paid for schools to do it.

Well that's what some are suggesting here.

Will parents be paid to home school their kids?

Seems schools won't be doing it and taxes are paid for schools to do it.

Well that's what some are suggesting here.

The reason I asked the age is I assume they are primary, maybe young primary. People were trying to ask or give sensible comments to someone who asked.

For secondary a lot of parents would struggle with content and exam prep. Most people would not have done Project Maths, no one old enough to have a kid that age would have learned Maths in this way so preparing a 17 year old for an honours Maths paper would be very difficult without a tutor.

The State bears some of the responsibility for education in the country but constitutionally the primary educator are the still the parents/guardians. The state provides a schooling system but you may choose to home school. I think without support from qualified teachers, or by the luck of the draw having a Math/Science teacher with Irish and maybe an English and humanities teacher for the other parents maybe with a foreign language you would struggle with kids later on in education.

Schools will still be open and the students could still attend school. If you choose to home school the student is removed from the register. If 20 people decide to homeschool and the register changes this impacts the number of teachers the following year. Some teachers would still be required for the other students.

But don't let the facts take away from your snide comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The reason I asked the age is I assume they are primary, maybe young primary. People were trying to ask or give sensible comments to someone who asked.

For secondary a lot of parents would struggle with content and exam prep. Most people would not have done Project Maths, no one old enough to have a kid that age would have learned Maths in this way so preparing a 17 year old for an honours Maths paper would be very difficult without a tutor.

The State bears some of the responsibility for education in the country but constitutionally the primary educator are the still the parents/guardians. The state provides a schooling system but you may choose to home school. I think without support from qualified teachers, or by the luck of the draw having a Math/Science teacher with Irish and maybe an English and humanities teacher for the other parents maybe with a foreign language you would struggle with kids later on in education.

Schools will still be open and the students could still attend school. If you choose to home school the student is removed from the register. If 20 people decide to homeschool and the register changes this impacts the number of teachers the following year. Some teachers would still be required for the other students.

But don't let the facts take away from your snide comments.

I'm not been snide.

I pay taxes so my kids can receive an education in school.

If that's not happening are you telling me I keep paying taxes for a job someone else is meant to do but I have to????

Im genuinely not been snide.

This is a valid question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I'm not been snide.

I pay taxes so my kids can receive an education in school.

If that's not happening are you telling me I keep paying taxes for a job someone else is meant to do but I have to????

Im genuinely not been snide.

This is a valid question.

The schools are opening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement