Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Unfortunately being the primary educator doesnt cut it when it comes to state exams and entry into 3rd level..

The question in my mind is will the state be providing an education? So far we are being told schools will be back but we have not been told in what way. There has been no updates on how education will be provided if the schools need to close.

Considering we have seen whole counties be put back, restaurants and gyms closed when they have had no direct cases linked to their premises. We would be naive to think schools wont face the same fate.

Im pretty confident we can manage the home schooling of our primary child but the secondary school student I dont see how.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Elliejo

I'm not been snide.

I pay taxes so my kids can receive an education in school.

If that's not happening are you telling me I keep paying taxes for a job someone else is meant to do but I have to????

Im genuinely not been snide.

This is a valid question.
    I strongly suggest you address your problems to the DES. The schools will be open. They will be staffed by the teachers - who believe it or not, also pay tax. If they have to close, it will not be a decision made by the teachers. It will be made by the Department of Health and the DES. It will be on health grounds. A decision that will keep your children and all other children safe. And if and when the children are at home, the teachers will still be in school, working. I know that doesn't fit with your agenda, but those are the facts. And I'm not a teacher, but I can see the problems, unlike yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

alroley wrote: »
    The schools are opening.

Some are suggesting we prepare for homeschooling.

So I'm discussing this scenerio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Nobody is suggesting you ever, ever, EVER try to educate a child personally, Jimbo.

In fact I think just about everyone in this thread would agree that it would be a terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I expect if the schools are closed I'll still be teaching accounting to my students like I was last term. I don't think there will ever be a scenario where parents are required to teach their second level children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Meanwhile in Asia, are we completely underestimating how infectious this is in a school environment..

Getty-Images-Wat-Khlong.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Newbienoob

I'm not been snide.

If that's not happening are you telling me I keep paying taxes for a job someone else is meant to do but I have to????

I think you're confusing people keeping their kids home when schools are open e.g. homeschooling, as opposed to if schools close: If they close teachers teach remotely. Bearing in mind, the Dept of Ed only released the guidelines for schools on remote teaching in June (they've a LOT to answer for).
    Rest assured, guidelines are in place for remote learning.If your child cannot come in to school due to underlying conditions then I think there are measures in place for the SET teacher to teach remotely.

At no point is any teacher not working. This horrible view of schools and teachers needs to stop. I can name many amazing local schools that went above and beyond during lockdown for their pupils and parents, despite zero guidance from the Dept and the fact that the teachers were also working from home with their own kids and responsibilities just like every other parent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Purplewaters

Will parents be paid to home school their kids?

Seems schools won't be doing it and taxes are paid for schools to do it.

Well that's what some are suggesting here.

I pay taxes and don't have kids. By this same logic I should get money back. If I don't use hospitals, do I get more money back again???? Also not receiving any child benefit here. Should really have a child to avail of all this stuff my tax money pays for.

I pay taxes and don't have kids. By this same logic I should get money back. If I don't use hospitals, do I get more money back again???? Also not receiving any child benefit here. Should really have a child to avail of all this stuff my tax money pays for.

Obviously the teachers will also still be teaching but this logic is ridiculous. Maybe people with kids could actually pay more tax for schooling for their kids??? Pretty sure they don't......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I'm not been snide.

If every member of staff in contact with a student was out we would have to close the school for two weeks. There are absolutely no substitutes.....I wish they'd just be home at about it

If every member of staff in contact with a student was out we would have to close the school for two weeks. There are absolutely no substitutes.....I wish they'd just be home at about it

If there are any cases this plan will be complete chaos. It works on the hope there are none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

If there are any cases this plan will be complete chaos. It works on the hope there are none.

Oh, there will be cases. Also, the carrier could be asymptomatic and infect a lot of people unknowingly in such close, non-socially distanced environments.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Newbienoob wrote: »
    At no point is any teacher not working. This horrible view of schools and teachers needs to stop.

This is simply not true. All the teachers (and parents) in this thread know this. Many teachers on this and other threads have admitted it.

It’s not a horrible view ... it is very simply the truth and we all know it.

This is simply not true. All the teachers (and parents) in this thread know this. Many teachers on this and other threads have admitted it.

You're the only 'teacher' on here that I've heard admitting they did fcuk all (and plan to do fcuk all again judging by your line of questioning earlier).

The rest of us did our best in the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

**Yawn**

Blondini wrote: »
    You're the only 'teacher' on here that I've heard admitting they did fcuk all (and plan to do fcuk all again judging by your line of questioning earlier).

The rest of us did our best in the circumstances.

There are many other teachers on boards who’ve given excuses for not working since 12 March.

There are also a lot of parents that say they got one email a week from the school. Thus, that teacher was working for an hour a week maximum.

You are very naive if you think all teachers were working and doing their best over the last 6 months.

**Yawn**

Another great contribution from the teacher who knows everything but can’t answer a simple question :)

There are many other teachers on boards who’ve given excuses for not working since 12 March.

There are also a lot of parents that say they got one email a week from the school. This, that teacher was working for an hour a week maximum.

You are very naive if you think all teachers were working and doing their best over the last 6 months.

'Naive' :pac:

You're the 'professional' that came on here and admitted you didn't work when you were supposed to be. You know you're not as anonymous as you think right? Your principle (sic) might actually know.

Naive indeed.

Another great contribution from the teacher who knows everything but can’t answer a simple question :)

What is the simple question? The question about sanction? Ask the department, already told you no one on here can answer that. Actually ask the teaching council. They might know.

• Advertisement

There are also a lot of parents that say they got one email a week from the school. This, that teacher was working for an hour a week maximum.

You are the only one I have seen that has said they didn't bother working to help their students.

You feel guilty about this and keep trying to drag the rest of us down to make yourself feel better.

There are also a lot of parents that say they got one email a week from the school. Thus, that teacher was working for an hour a week maximum.

Did your class(es) even get one email a week seeing as you admitted on here that you didn't do the best you could?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

@teachinggal123 - I think it's pretty clear to anybody reading two days on the trot that you're not happy in your work or in your workplace. You've openly admitted to not doing any work since 12 March.

We get it, honestly, there's no need to come back on tomorrow and drone on again. It's akin to wasting posters time for you to type the same thing and ask the same questions that nobody here can answer. Maybe you should write and ask the DES? Or ETB if that's who employs you?

Take tomorrow off boards, find yourself a job you like, or find a hobby either, it's obviously not doing you any good repeating yourself here ad nauseum.

alroley wrote: »

You feel guilty about this and keep trying to drag the rest of us down to make yourself feel better.

Actually I think they feel ashamed for it. Children relying on them on they just abandon them. Hopefully they put a better foot forward this year. The students deserve that.

Teachers resorting to personal abuse now. Imbecile is a horrible word to use about a fellow professional.

There are teachers who have admitted to doing nothing and not teaching online ... lots of them! There are many who did great work, but let’s be totally honest and admit there are others who did nothing and will do nothing again if schools close.

Parents would respect us for calling this out like I’ve been doing. They certainly won’t appreciate us if we turn a blind eye and start calling each other imbecile.

Teachers resorting to personal abuse now. Imbecile is a horrible word to use about a fellow professional.

Now I KNOW you're trolling. G'night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I'm at a loss as to why you continue to try to be a teacher.

You let your kids down and now you're trying to drag your colleagues through the mud just so you can feel better about yourself.

Find something else, for the sake of the kids

How can someone who openly admit to not doing the best by the students in their care call themselves a professional?

There are teachers who have admitted to doing nothing and not teaching online ... lots of them! There are many who did great work, but let’s be totally honest and admit there are others who did nothing and will do nothing again if schools close.

Parents would respect us for calling this out like I’ve been doing. They certainly won’t appreciate us if we turn a blind eye and start calling each other imbecile.

I don't have much respect for a teacher who just doesn't bother to do their job, why would I expect parents to?

No one is denying that some teachers didn't do the right thing by their students (you are one of those teachers), but you are acting like it was the majority. You are in a very small minority of teachers who couldn't be bothered. I know teachers in my school, teachers I still talk to that I met during the PME, teachers that teach friends kids all worked so hard to do their best. There will always be a small amount of lazy people in any job, but making out that most teachers didn't work is absurd.

You are obsessed with trying to convince everyone (and yourself) that teachers are lazy and didn't work while school buildings were shut. We did. You didn't. End of story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Maybe, just maybe, this person isn't actually a teacher?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement