Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

how is entry to school, class switches, small break, lunch, exiting building, toilets, sports, buses etc. etc.
    really going to work ...

the restrictions outside school seem to be getting tighter e.g. mandatory facemasks, curfews for restaurants at 11pm etc.

how are schools really going to safely work !!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

combat14 wrote: »
    how is entry to school, class switches, small break, lunch, exiting building, toilets, sports, buses etc. etc.
    really going to work ...

the restrictions outside school seem to be getting tighter e.g. mandatory facemasks, curfews for restaurants at 11pm etc.

how are schools really going to safely work !!?

They won't really be as safe as they could be, that'll be down to the silly document which ignores current beat practice.

But as usual schools will make the best of a bad lot and muddle through until something happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

They won't really be as safe as they could be, that'll be down to the silly document which ignores current beat practice.

But as usual schools will make the best of a bad lot and muddle through until something happens.

This is exactly what will happen. The first week or two will be fine because anyone who contracts it won't know for about a fortnight anyway. So at first it will seem like it's all going swimmingly.

I know some folk are saying that there is a lot of negativity amongst the teachers on this thread. I know it would probably make a lot of parents feel safer if we were being more positive. But there's positive and then there's deluded.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    This is exactly what will happen. The first week or two will be fine because anyone who contracts it won't know for about a fortnight anyway. So at first it will seem like it's all going swimmingly.

I know some folk are saying that there is a lot of negativity amongst the teachers on this thread. I know it would probably make a lot of parents feel safer if we were being more positive. But there's positive and then there's deluded.

All the parents that have gone through my hands would always say I'm a straight shooter. Always told that they respect that and that I don't sugar coat things. People need to know what we really think of this 'plan'. It stinks of passing the buck. Headline figures which appear great but have little substance. Schools will as always do their very best to do the right thing by their students, often at the expense of their staff well-being. That won't be acknowledged nor would I expect it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

xhomelezz wrote: »
    The only room our school has to hold 35 kids while applying SD and proper air ventilation is a car park..
    khalessi wrote: »
    Well if the Department had actually consulted with the teachers on the ground. You would see a lot of could be done.

Smaller classes for social distancing for the first few weeks.
    Bring them in 2 and half days per week for first few weeks
    hand hygiend and cough etiquette
    Masks for teachers and students if they wish
    Perspex cubes and masks in every room - one row at the back for immunocompromised children who wished to come to school
    Match high risk teachers as best as possible with high risk kids for home liason online teaching or whatever,
    Get Department to create proper online platforms and get rte to do similar to BBC for schools
    Invest in schools properly
    Have a plan at the begiinging of Junwe they had months to work on it

Thats some of what I would have suggested.

Best online classroom teaching board I've seen.

www.learning.glass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭vid36

Secondary schools will end up going to blended learning , the only question is when.I would guess before Halloween.But it might happen before the end of September.
    They will try to keep primary schools open as long as possible but will surely face an impossible task in peak flu season.

Seanergy wrote: »
    Best online classroom teaching board I've seen.

www.learning.glass

That is amazing! The price is eyewateringly expensive but it looks fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

One thing this thread tells me is that the teachers are going back in a month with quite a bit of ill will, prejudice and an axe to grind. The first sign of a problem and they'll be on it. Looking to get back home again sending the once a week email with school work

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

As a parent with school going kids and elderly parents I think there's going to have to be a further distancing regarding my parents in September. Not cocooning, but an awareness of risks. No more hugs with the elders and probably distancing visits as the Autumn hits.

vid36 wrote: »
    Secondary schools will end up going to blended learning , the only question is when.I would guess before Halloween.But it might happen before the end of September.
    They will try to keep primary schools open as long as possible but will surely face an impossible task in peak flu season.

One of my neighbours is a secondary teacher. They continue to be told by their principal to prepare for full online, best case scenario being half in, half out model.

• Advertisement

One thing this thread tells me is that the teachers are going back in a month with quite a bit of ill will, prejudice and an axe to grind. The first sign of a problem and they'll be on it. Looking to get back home again sending the once a week email with school work

Evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

As it's getting closer I'm getting severe second thoughts about letting my daughter go back. The plan reeks of bull****. Don't fancy anyone being a Canary in a mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

John_Rambo wrote: »
    As a parent with school going kids and elderly parents I think there's going to have to be a further distancing regarding my parents in September. Not cocooning, but an awareness of risks. No more hugs with the elders and probably distancing visits as the Autumn hits.

Yeah, I was talking about this with my folks during the weekend. All the kids going back, one of us frontline, 2 of us teaching and another 2 working public facing jobs, be safer for them if we dont see them. It will behard as I rely on them for childminding but will have to manage

What it shoudl tell you if you read it all is that teachers will do everything they can to make the kids comfortable but that they are tired of dealing with trolls and teacher bashers on here. At least 6 threads since March

Teachers want the best for the students, best education and best safety. We are looking forward to news, laughter, conversations, craic and maybe some teaching and learning. I can't wait to see the kids.

If there is an axe to grind it would never be with parents or children, we are all in the same boat. It would be with the Department and we would just get on with teaching and throwing open the doors and seeing the kids, making them comfortable and laughing and learning.

You're dead right. The last 6 months off have been brilliant. Lie-ins with my dog, the odd email here and there. Sometimes I didn't even bother and just pretended it got stuck in my Outbox if anyone called me out on it.

A quick copy and paste on the homeworks "Good effort John, nice work on the capital letters" and hopefully remember to delete and change name as appropriate!

My house has never looked better - got all my DIY done and sure between not having to pay for petrol or lunch and still drawing down my 6-figure salary - I'm feckin loaded to boot! Half thinking of organising a house party and posting the details to my social media this weekend - just to get the number of cases back up in the hundreds in time for 'startup' (lol)

Speed up the gravy train - I'm never getting off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Yawn. More know-it-all naive ramblings from yet another armchair expert.

Read the thread, stop embarrassing yourself and come up with something original.

Night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

hard to see schools fully opening in 3 weeks with only 50 being allowed to safely gather indoors at the moment...?

we have all seen what has happened to phase 4 twice already...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

the corpo wrote: »

My kids primary school is in an old secondary convent school. The only ventilation option is to wedge open old sash windows. When the rain is coming in the windows sideways during the winter the class will have to close, or else give the kids wetsuits and armbands.

Should have started small and ramped it up as the schools learn to cope with the measures. Give the schools a proper chance to sort accommodation problems and hire staff, when they can see in practice what they'll need to make the situation sustainable.

I think we're massively running the risk of a full reopening leading to a full shutdown very quickly after. And I don't blame the teachers/unions etc for this, it's embarrassing as a nation that we're facing such a difficult task to reopen, but it lies squarely at the consistent failure of previous Governments to invest in our children...

Many classrooms will need to have sections cut out of their windows so that box fans can be installed to increase outside airflow inside and to pull dead air out. Filters can be added etc.

We need to take an active approach to air exchange systems, we cannot rely on winds and cross breezes. Our kids could be sharing 4-8 hours of room air, speaking, singing, shouting, breathing, not to mention the so called dreaded sneezing and coughing.

Grossly negligent of NPHET, HSE and politicans to continue to exclude speaking et al as forms or even possible forms of transmission. We are droplet heavy and airborne light.

Clean air is the elephant in the classroom.

Yeah, I was talking about this with my folks during the weekend. All the kids going back, one of us frontline, 2 of us teaching and another 2 working public facing jobs, be safer for them if we dont see them. It will behard as I rely on them for childminding but will have to manage

My dad had lung surgery last August and then had to have 4 rounds of chemotherapy. So the running joke in our house is that he was quarantining before it was cool!

Over Feb midterm I got a cold so I hadn't seen him since before Feb. I went over to him on Father's day but just stayed outside and all over the summer, even though I was practising social distancing myself (we are nearly more isolating in our place tbh) I was too afraid to go see him because there is too much on the line.

But I never realised that really I probably should have spent more time with him over the summer, because just like you say, come September I'll be more of a risk than I've ever been :(

Will have to get quite a few visits in between now and end of Aug!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭F5500

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I really hate to say this, but if your folks are old or in any way vulnerable or susceptible to the harsher realities of C-19 I wouldn't have them minding the kids once school starts in September.

I really hate to say this, but if your folks are old or in any way vulnerable or susceptible to the harsher realities of C-19 I wouldn't have them minding the kids once school starts in September.

It's in the bit that you quoted - Khalessi says their parents won't be minding the children

Thank you I agree,

I amnt going to, like Bananaleaf, Dad is on long term cancer treatment basically till he dies, so I dont want to put him at risk. If he dies mum will go too as they have been together since they were teens and she would not want to be without him, 60+ years together and none of us want a virus to wipe them out, so when we go back I wont see them, as it is safer.

It is breaking up my family basically as I wont be able to see siblings as their kids have CF and one has 3/4 lung.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

My wife's mother is in the real high risk category so once schools go back that will be that. Won't be seeing her for a long time. Especially considering all the asymptomatic cases being diagnosed in meat factories.

It's the asymptomatic stuff that scares me the most.

That and the thought of lasting health complications long after you're "over it"

I'm going to try and post an image here. I never have any luck posting images so apologies if there isn't one attached to this post. It is from the RTE news website and was published on 1st August.

Think about the underlined statements in the context of what we are going to have to work with in schools. It completely flies in the face of the roadmap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

One of my neighbours is a secondary teacher. They continue to be told by their principal to prepare for full online, best case scenario being half in, half out model.

They'll be in for some shock in a few weeks time so.

With parents being told their kids have to follow the usual attendance rules otherwise Tusla be on the case, I highly doubt schools will be allowed to choose to just go online themselves.

Head in the sand approach isn't going to work out well for them.

Seems to have worked for the Department so far.

Finally we agree on something. Government really do need to get their collective heads out of the sand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

They'll be in for some shock in a few weeks time so.

With parents being told their kids have to follow the usual attendance rules otherwise Tusla be on the case, I highly doubt schools will be allowed to choose to just go online themselves.

I think the poster means in the event of a school closure or schools being closed entirely that they are to prepare themselves for online learning. If I'm correct then that's not unreasonable. Anything I do this year will be with a view to transitioning online. I'll have it in the back of my mind tbh.

Schools won't be staying open imo. They will close individually at first when cases arise, and they will arise, and then possibly entirely depending on the severity of the clusters and spread that will come from them. We've already got a couple of students who are supposed to be coming back who have tested positive in recent weeks. Going back to school isn't going to make all the kids immune. This is just my opinion, everyone has one.

I hope in wrong. Genuinely I do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement