Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Explosion in Beirut

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Gatling wrote: »
    If it was in Iran or syria I would have agreed ,I'm sure the same people would refuse see it as anything but an Israeli strike.

That last video ^ very mushroom cloud alike

Theres a few videos that show a very definitive mushroom cloud.

Israel and Hezbullah have been "de-escalating" over the last 2 weeks and want to avoid conflict. Despite recent events in Damascus and the Golan, neither want escalation.

Although, Netenyahu was at a security cabinet meeting today, still unlikely it was them. People thinking its an Israeli strike dont grasp the wider context. It it was...this is very much a war footing.

If it was in Iran or syria I would have agreed ,I'm sure the same people would refuse see it as anything but an Israeli strike.

That last video ^ very mushroom cloud alike

Theres a few videos that show a very definitive mushroom cloud.

Israel and Hezbullah have been "de-escalating" over the last 2 weeks and want to avoid conflict. Despite recent events in Damascus and the Golan, neither want escalation.

Although, Netenyahu was at a security cabinet meeting today, still unlikely it was them. People thinking its an Israeli strike dont grasp the wider context. It it was...this is very much a war footing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

fireworks then a fertiliser explosion / or chemical store explosion ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Enschede fireworks disaster all over again by the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,477 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mushroom cloud is typical for any high-impulse blast, doesn't have to be milspec or nuclear.

• Advertisement

Looks like fireworks - watch the small explosions before the big bang, in 2000 Enschede fireworks disaster was like this, the final bang there was about 5 Tonnes of TNT

If it had been a bomb or airstrike, would the larger of the explosions happened at the same time as the fire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Can't get over the size of that. Horrible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭dere34

It was heard in Nicosia. This is very bad folks.

dere34 wrote: »

Sadly I think you’re correct. Looking at videos of the impact it had on all those cars.

I really hope it was neglect rather than warfare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

If it had been a bomb or airstrike, would the larger of the explosions happened at the same time as the fire?

Probably.

Nobody who was already aware of the fire reported an airstrike, or hearing jets, none was heard at the time of the explosion and none was recorded and no evidence of a bomb or missile on target. Odds of it being an airstrike are null.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

If there was a strike you get the initial explosion but if there is fuel and chemicals/munitions, that catch fire you would certainly get a secondary explosion ,

I think if you look closely at the first video you can see mini explosions before the big explosion happens

If there was a strike you get the initial explosion but if there is fuel and chemicals/munitions, that catch fire you would certainly get a secondary explosion ,

I think if you look closely at the first video you can see mini explosions before the big explosion happens

Yeah the little flashes going off within the smoke cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Can't say I understand the logic of an ammo or fireworks depot being located so close to large residential areas; assuming that is indeed what it was.

I wonder if there are any places in Ireland where that scale of an explosion would be possible next to residential areas?

dere34 wrote: »

150 miles jaysis.

When a MOAB is detonated the shockwave can be felt through the ground up to 60 miles away (at least). Heard, I don't know. Nicosia is over a lot of open water though so that soundwave front was largely unobstructed from coastal city to island nation of Cyprus.

Be interested to see what they estimated the equivalent yield of this blast was. MOAB is 11 tons TNT; Little Boy was 15 kilotons. I imagine it's far closer to the MOAB

ronivek wrote: »
    Can't say I understand the logic of an ammo or fireworks depot being located so close to large residential areas; assuming that is indeed what it was.

I wonder if there are any places in Ireland where that scale of an explosion would be possible next to residential areas?

I imagine some ports have Ammonium nitrate stored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

It was likely a weapon explosives storage/ facility. Highly unlikely you see an explosion like that from fireworks. Who the weapons belong to Lebanese army or Hezbelloh? Lebanese army, likely a freak accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The big white building was a grain silo with a capacity of 120,000 tons of grain. That is a known explosion risk.
    Dry-material / bin hazards
    There have also been many cases of silos and the associated ducts and buildings exploding. If the air inside becomes laden with finely granulated particles, such as grain dust, a spark can trigger an explosion powerful enough to blow a concrete silo and adjacent buildings apart, usually setting the adjacent grain and building on fire. Sparks are often caused by (metal) rubbing against metal ducts; or due to static electricity produced by dust moving along the ducts when extra dry.

It was likely a weapon explosives storage/ facility. Highly unlikely you see an explosion like that from fireworks. Who the weapons belong to Lebanese army or Hezbelloh? Lebanese army, likely a freak accident.

That area does store fireworks, also Beirut Naval Base is just around the corner...where weapons and ammunition is stored.

• Advertisement

That area does store fireworks, also Beirut Naval Base is just around the corner...where weapons and ammunition is stored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Given the geographic location it wouldn't be the slightest surprising if the initial fire crept into a location where arms where stored.

Hard to say at this point in time but that is one massive explosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

The explosion being right in a port it was most likely petro chemical or gas. Why would anyone target a port area with an air strike. Also if they suspected Israel in anyway we would have already seen a response. Looked to be electrical transformers with all of the arcing going on in the initial dust cloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    The explosion being right in a port it was most likely petro chemical or gas. Why would anyone target a port area with an air strike. Also if they suspected Israel in anyway we would have already seen a response. Looked to be electrical transformers with all of the arcing going on in the initial dust cloud.

A response how? There is very little they could do to hurt Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It was likely a weapon explosives storage/ facility. Highly unlikely you see an explosion like that from fireworks.

A facility with tons of gunpowder , wouldn't explode like that .

Oh yes it absolutely would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

What do you mean by around the corner? What the distance from the initial blast? The blast occurred inside a warehouse, looked like it came from below ground? Where the storing explosives at lower levels inside that building? To me it looked like a high explosive detonation at the end. Maybe there was fireworks at the port, still i be shocked if the cause was only that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Sky News headline reporting that at least 10 dead.

No sh1t.

Reports of hospitals turning away injured due to over capacity.

I would expect hundreds of deaths in a blast such as that. It picked cars up and threw them like dolls ffs.

The footage of the blast is chilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

What do you mean by around the corner? What the distance from the initial blast? The blast occurred inside a warehouse, looked like it came from below ground? Where the storing explosives at lower levels inside that building? To me it looked like a high explosive detonation at the end. Maybe there was fireworks at the port, still i be shocked if the cause was only that?

I think it's fairly obvious it's not fireworks at the end.

Reports saying possibly hundreds dead and injured.

Whole apartment buildings just completely destroyed

• Advertisement

Danish fireworks 2000 lbs (it's an american report), very big bangs here. Obviously explosions vary depending on how they are stored, amount, type and the chain reaction length and sequence.

Sodium nitrate, skip to last 15 seconds

Advertisement